1652 Masachusetsin Oak Tree Shilling. Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by bdurand, Dec 11, 2010.

1. bdurand

bdurand New Member

Hi all. Just joined from Texas.

Found two 1652 New England shillings in a retail shop over the weekend. Unfortunately they have been fashioned onto a necklace but do not have holes in the coins. They don't have any marking that are different from the ones I've seen online except a circular "O" shape that veils the "II" part of the "XII" on the back. See attached photos.

Any advice? IMG_0491.jpg IMG_0489.jpg [/ATTACH]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Do they both have the odd circular shape over the roman numerals?

I don't know about these coins, but find the thread interesting.
    My first thoughts are:

*2 rare coins in 1 place, and both made into necklaces... How odd is that?
    *Both coins have an abnormal shape overlaying the central design... One genuine coin with an abnormality, maybe, two with the exact same abnormality, both in the same shop... No.

Just my .02
    I hope I am wrong, but you know what they say about "too good to be true".

4. bdurand

bdurand New Member

Yes, both coins do have the abnormality. I think you're right. That's what I thought too. I wonder still what the "O" represents and if these 'replicas' have any value?

Thanks for the .02!

5. nerarities

nerarities New Member

Hi All,

These appear to be modern reproductions of an Oak Tree Shilling from Massachusetts. I do come across many of these that have been made into jewelry over the years. One of the big giveaways (minus the surfaces which are not right for MA silver) is the letter W in NEW ENGLAND. On all Oak Tree coinage the middle of the W crosses at the top and is connected with a line. There is no W that crosses like this one does.

Keep in mind, just because a piece was made into jewelry does not necessarily make it a fake colonial. On EBAY in the last year a well known collector purchased an genuine Pine Tree Shilling (Noe 3) in XF45 made into a necklace (which seemed contemporary!) for $18 because everyone assumed that nobody would use a real coin. Well, we were all wrong! I saw and confirmed the piece as genuine at the ANA in Boston this year!

George McClellan likes this.
  6. bdurand

bdurand New Member

Great info. Thanks a bunch. Any information on the "O" abnormality? Any significance?

7. Krystal Chambers

Krystal Chambers New Member

I have one exactly like yours and I know nothing about it. Any info would be appreciated.

8. Tone_

Tone_ New Member

Same here. I have the exact same coin and know nothing about it... It came from a deceased person who had many quality antique possessions from 1800's and 1900's . This person died in the early 2000's I believe if that helps. All of her stuff has been untouched untill recently.
    20190630_131157.jpg 20190630_131239_001.jpg 20190630_131323.jpg 20190630_131402.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    George McClellan likes this.
  9. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

It’s a modern cast copy. You can see the casting seam on the edge of the coin.

10. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

In my experience it is not that uncommon for a collection to be all genuine items - except for the very rare stuff.

11. Tone_

Tone_ New Member

So is it worth anything even though it's a reproduction?

12. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted