1644 Sweden; Battle of Fermern, Regina Christina medal

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by frech001, Mar 3, 2015.

1. frech001

frech001 New but Old

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { }
    I have a copper or copper colored gold alloy version of this medal: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/37891.html

My medal appears to have the same minor mint flaws as this medal in the Royal Museum Greenwich. My question is: does anyone know if this medal was minted in copper? The medal is well preserved for the age and though it was stored with others that realized a lot of environmental damage this one remained fairly untouched, even maintained some luster. It was collected by an experienced collector but he had no gold coins or medals, just a few silver, so I believe this to be copper. Anyone else seen one of these in copper? It is possible this is a later re-strike from the original dies. Any insight would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

HoosierDaddy and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Hard to find any info on this medal except original strikes were silver. If you can find how much a silver coin weighs then weigh yours - a silver coin is heavier than the same coin struck in copper.

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Side note: While I don't know anything about this medal, do not search for "Fermern". I noticed that the museum uses it, but have no idea what language that would be. ;) The name of the island is Fehmarn in (local) German; in Danish it is called Femern ...

Christian

5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Was thinking that the old large cents are copper composition but turn chocolate brown over time. Could your medal be silver but just toned?? Read this from an unknown coin forum years ago.

If silver dropped on a flat surface it will make a slight ringing sound. Copper just makes duller sounds like a thud.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How accurate is the color of your photos? Based on this color, it could be bronze. Bronze can range in color from golden to chocolate brown.

Chris

7. frech001

frech001 New but Old

The photos were taken under CFL lighting and are a bit too yellow, should be redder. I'm thinking this medal is an alloy of copper and silver. Any thoughts? Must be uncommon since there doesn't seem to be much written about it on net.
    al

8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

When I first looked at the pictures my instinct was that I was looking at a silver piece with bad color balance in the photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted