15th Century newp for Prime Number set.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by messydesk, Aug 4, 2020.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Picked up this 1481 Dubbele Briquet from Brabant recently. It pushes back the start of my Prime Number set two years.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Collecting dated coins by prime numbers......that is a new one.

Coin collecting was just too "cool" for you, you had to throw in prime numbers too?

Lol, just kidding man. Interesting idea related to collecting coins I never thought about to be honest.

+VGO.DVCKS and messydesk like this.
  4. messydesk

Ha! Yeah, I had to make it a little more nerdy. :D

+VGO.DVCKS and Dave Waterstraat like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's a pretty coin all around, Rob.

messydesk likes this.
  6. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

Very nice.

messydesk likes this.
  7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Yeah, coin collecting is not nerdy enough....:rolleyes:

Congrats by the way!:)

+VGO.DVCKS and messydesk like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Has one of those weird "bow tie" 4's. Turn it 90 degrees and it looks like the modern one.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

How many prime number dates do you have? I love prime numbers!

10. messydesk

48, I think. My set is complete 1721-1979, then I have a bunch going back to 1481.

Here's the set. There are a few that haven't been added to the showcase yet, since they're not in PCGS plastic.

11. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

That set is really looking good Glad the 1481 found a good home.

messydesk likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ooh, 15th century early-dated! That's something. Love those medieval 4's shaped like modern "awareness" ribbons!

I was gonna say "@tibor will approve of this", but it seems he had prior knowledge thereof. ;)

Theodosius and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

PS- one of these would have been cool regardless, but that looks like a really nice example, too. Decent strike. Attractive toning.

14. messydesk

There were actually three of these dated 1481 in the auction, with this being the 2nd nicest. The nicest was sold first for a lot more than this one, but it was on a choice planchet, no splits at the edge, well struck. There were several others of this type of different dates, as well.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Despite 44 years of collecting and having owned the Levinson book for 13 years, I have thus far owned only one solitary pre-1500 dated coin, which was a 1475 Saxony spitzgroschen @tibor gave me.

Theodosius and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Nice! I got one of the 1477's in the after auction from the same sale for my collection of ancient and medieval women! I wasn't going to post it until it arrived, but here goes:

9140.4.5_1.jpg

TheRed, Seattlite86, tibor and 3 others like this.
  17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Haha! I was scrolling down to say that I do not believe I own any dates coins from the 1400s. Beautiful coin and addition @messydesk !

Edit: would you consider undated single year issues for earlier prime numbers?

messydesk likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

That one's cool because it has not only the old-style 4 in the date, but two of the old-style 7s (inverted Vs).

19. messydesk

The 1475 in the sale is dated "1-awareness ribbon-lambda-lightning bolt." Would you believe that of all the characters in all the languages represented in unicode that there are, including those not used in centuries, there's nothing that resembles a medieval 4?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. messydesk

Nope. It has to have a full date. It can be Roman numerals, though. The 1483 coin I have in the showcase plus a French 1567 French Ecu d'or both use Roman numerals. There are some 15th century that have just the last 2 digits, so I wouldn't go for these. Also cobs that have 3 digits.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I like that though all the numbers look quite odd it's a) still quite recognizable as a date and b) you can understand just by looking at it how each digit evolved to its current form

Draft saved Draft deleted