1562 Elizabeth 1 hammered coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by 1562wow, Apr 12, 2009.

1. 1562wow

1562wow New Member

Hello all..
    I wont lie to you.
    I'm no collector.
    But i am the very proud owner of a neighbour who found this coin today ;o)..
    I am so excited about it. I've held a 447 year old coin in my hand today, and i couldn't help but be in awe of it.
    As you can see i'm more interested in the history of it, but i promised to do some research on the coin for the findee' .. Like how much is it worth and any history details that anyone might know.

All offers of info would be accepted very gratefully. And of course a price if that's at all possible..

The coin looks like a hammered coin. It was found by a tree!! The wording on the back of the coin(date etc.. )is very clear. The front of the coin is not so clear and very worn. I'll try to attach a photo of front and back for you to see.
    I hope this description helps. I don't quite know what i'm doing.. Can you tell? ;o)..

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1562wow

1562wow New Member

sorry!! I've created an echo lol.. Can someone delete this extra thread plz.. I've ben sat ere for half hour trying to upload my photo's and i've ended up posting twice ;o)..
    Slaps me wrist*

4. John the Jute

John the Jute Collector of Sovereigns

Hi Rachel,

This is not my area of specialization, but nobody has replied to your post since yesterday, so I'll have a go. I'm basing my answer on the 2008 Spink catalogue, "Coins of England and the United Kingdom".

Yes, it is an Elizabethan hammered coin made of sterling silver. It looks like a coin from Elizabeth's third silver issue. These coins came in four denominations distinguished by weight and by the diameter of the inner beaded circle:

* sixpence, 48 grains, 17.5 mm
    * threepence, 24 grains, 14 mm
    * threehalfpence, 12 grains, 10.5-11.5 mm
    * threefarthings, 6 grains

These range in retail price between £35 and £60 in fine condition. (I'm sorry, I'm not knowledgeable enough to grade the coin.)

The Latin inscription round the reverse is, "Posui Deum adiutorem meum", which means "I have made God my helper" and is an allusion to the first half of verse 4 of the 54th Psalm.

Later,

John

5. Peter

Peter Junior Member

6. 1562wow

1562wow New Member

Thank you

Thank you John and thankyou Peter..
    I must say that i prefer johns reply lol..
    The coin is still lovely whether it be real or not. To be honest i don't know if i should dissapoint my neighbour with the fact that it may not be real ;o) I don't think he wants to sell it anyway , so i'll leave it to him to find out if it's right or not. (is that bad ? ) ;oP
    I'll pass the info on from you John , i'm sure he will love the explanation of it.
    Peter thank you for the trouble of researching it for me. It can be our secret if it's fake lol

Cheers again guys.. Rachel ;o)

7. Tonytaylor

Tonytaylor New Member

I find this coin today I try to find out how much it is worst I got this one a1886 dollar coin

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

What does your 1886 dollar (from what country?) have to do with the coin posted here?

Why not post it in your own thread rather than adding it as an irrelevant reply to a nine-year-old thread where you're not likely to get an answer?

How much is it "worst?"

What does that mean? Do you mean how much is it worth?

Post it in its own thread, with pictures, and we can tell you.

Draft saved Draft deleted