1524 Austria Ferdinand I 6 Kreuzer, Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coin0709, Jan 10, 2014.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

These are fairly common, but it looks right and the weight is right at 2.5 grams. It almost looks like there might be some gold at the bottom of the first picture. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

It seems a genuine coin for me. Old patina, old style.

4. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks Siberian Man. I see they are only worth a decent amount if they are in excellent condition. I just wanted to know if it is genuine. If anyone else has other opinions, please do chime in. thanks!

5. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Some people may disagree, but whenever someone posts a beat-up coin and asks if it's real, my response is always "why would someone fake that?" If you wanted to fake a coin, wouldn't you make it look really nice so you could get top dollar for it? I just don't see any reason to fake a coin in terrible shape, especially if it isn't super rare like the Pine Tree shilling. Now if it was a contemporary counterfeit that's different.

6. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Excellent point Hiddendragon. :) I've just seen so many of these super thin coins over the years, and have always had my doubts. I guess your right, a beat up common ancient, is probably just that.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

In the world of ancients you occasionally find counterfeits that have been distressed in one way or another. Collectors of ancients expect their coins to look ancient, and sometimes you find tourist replicas that have been beaten up and dirtied to make them look much older. Sometimes they're common types. Why? Who knows. Perhaps the counterfeiters were practicing their techniques?

Draft saved Draft deleted