12-sided Canadian pennies

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dobbin, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Dobbin

Dobbin Active Member

How hard is it to find the 1982-1996 Canadian penny in the United States? Where would I look besides online auctions? I would like a few for no other than sentimental reasons of my trips into Canada from my home state of Minnesota as a teen back then. The edge design stands out in my memory.

Thank you

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Try posting in swap/trade, maybe some members here have some surplus coins.

capthank likes this.
  4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I have 20-30 pounds of bronze Canadian cents. Separated CRH in Syracuse. I could pick out a set if you don’t find a source. I figured they are 98% copper so just saved as bullion so far. I may have some of the AU pieces in a roll

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

@Dobbin I have almost a complete set of Canadian small cents. We saw them in change quite often back in the 40's and 50's. Later in life I too started to travel a lot to Canada on business and picked up some there. Small cents were used in Canada from 1920 to 2012. The oldest I ever found in change was the first one, 1920. I did keep all of them I found and may be able to get you what you are looking for.

capthank, Cheech9712 and Dobbin like this.
  6. Dobbin

Dobbin Active Member

@Inspector43 I really just want three or so of the 12 sided design from those years, but I don't want to pay $1 each online prices and I can't imagine they'd ever turn up in change, being withdrawn etc etc.

capthank and Inspector43 like this.
  7. Heavymetal

B4C7991F-D468-4835-BC12-4D6A94E23D4C.jpeg 9747B071-DADD-4210-89FC-27F0EF651DCF.jpeg
    Pick the years you want

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Does anyone on CT think that because Canada doesn't make pennies any more, that they will become a real collectors item and increase in price? Just curious.

9. Inspector43

It looks like you are getting a lot of help. Keep up with us and let us know how it works out. I can dig through mine it needed.

capthank likes this.
  10. Inspector43

NO. There are too many of them out there. And, they have been out of circulation for 8 years now.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. Heavymetal

I sold half of mine last summer on CL.
    $4/lb which is about 2 cents ea.
    What remains may never sell. I haven’t tried this year.
    Don’t need to meet anybody new

capthank likes this.
  12. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

I find them somewhat regularly in change. It'll be easier the closer to the border you are.

capthank and Inspector43 like this.
  13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I don't believe it will happen in our lifetime MM but may happen in our granddaughters time, we hope!

capthank likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You the man. Buffalo CRH just a peanut butter jar here But do have a book of them

Heavymetal likes this.
  15. Heavymetal

brg5658 and Cheech9712 like this.
  16. Cheech9712

What happen
    didn’t mean to leave you out. Sorry

capthank and Heavymetal like this.
  17. Inspector43

Canada minted the last small cents in 2012.

capthank likes this.
  18. Cheech9712

A family member has some that they (Canada) ruined and sold to her husband brass company to melt. They were damaged before they where sent to the brass (buffalo). New name now. But we still call it the brass. Are these worth anything. She still has them for me. But I wasn’t interested. Should I be?

19. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

20. Dobbin

Dobbin Active Member

When I didn't care much about coin collecting I would still pause when I got one of these mixed into my change. It wasn't unusual to get Canadian coins in the Minneapolis area growing up but the 12-sided penny is the one that stood out.

Inspector43 and capthank like this.
  21. Dobbin

Dobbin Active Member

Thanks to @Heavymetal I now also know there were two portraits during this timeframe. CoinTalk is the best.
    IMG_20200825_071924791~2_compress25.jpg

Inspector43 and Heavymetal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted