12 Caesars walk into a bar. The guy at the counter says...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Though we often joke about the arbitrariness of it being 12 Caesars, "Why not 7, 10 or 42???", it was, however, the amount of Caesars that the man/writer/historian/sensationalist who wrote the biographies decided upon (up to the time of his death there had been 15. Nerva, Trajan and Hadrian being left in the reign;)). This decision was made by a man named Suetonius.

[​IMG]

"A boy named Sue"tonius was born around 69 (if his parents had then we wouldn't have "The 12 Caesars"!:kiss::p) CE and lived until after 122 CE. He was the emperor Trajan's secretary of studies and director of Imperial archives thanks to his friendship with Pliny the younger. And he, in his most well known writing would, unknowingly, set the bar for ancient collectors higher than a hippy in a helicopter!
    You don't just run to the corner store and tell the ol' fella, Wally, that works there, "Heya pal. I need a coin of each of the first 12 Caesars, some funions and a box of Trojans, stat!" You have to take your time. I wasn't even sure I would ever get all of them. But once you get close to having the set...that itch really sets in:nailbiting:. And then pretty soon they all have to be portraits (they don't, but in my excitedly addicted to ancient mind they DO). Followed up by getting them all in silver. Though, that is what in my line of business we refer to as a stretch goal (not there yet:greedy:).
    I've always admired the threads and posts that others have done on their 12 Caesars sets. They have put together some really stunning collections. Collections that I probably will never be able to afford. My slight embarrassment:shame: at the quality of some of my Caesars probably being a bit of the driving force behind me not having posted my neat-O accomplishment sooner. However, I do enjoy creating and have been putting something together for the last couple of weeks with my 12 Caesars that I am almost done with and thought I would share. Sorry for the glare. And please keep in mind it is still a work in progress...

D13CF8F8-9985-44DE-8F57-B2CA6F2FB1C3.jpeg

Please post all your Caesar's, all your sets, all your artistic attempts or anything else you deem relevant (stories and anecdotes about Suetonius and the Caesars will get you likes with or without pics!).

galba68, Cucumbor, Curtisimo and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here is a little limerick I came up with:

There once was a man named Suetonius

Whose prose was close to felonious

He took up his stylus

In order to ply us

With matters true and erroneous

12 caesars group.png
    2nd 12 Caesars.png 12 Caesars 3rd set.png

4. Ryro

Oh man Orfew! That limerick is priceless!!! And those coins almost are...

[​IMG]

galba68, Theodosius, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I don't have all the 12 Caesars yet so here is my attempt at Haiku...

Suetonius Wrote
    To the Din of Caesars Quotes
    History Aghast

6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Superb presentation, but we gotta have those close ups!

My Augustus and Claudius need a desperate upgrade, but otherwise I'm proud of what I have
    Julius caesar lifetime denarius macer sear 1414.jpg Augustus AE As antioch.jpg Tiberius As PONTIF MAXIM TRIBVN POTEST XXIIII 22AD.jpg Caligula ae as vesta.jpg Claudius AE as.jpg Nero denarius ivppiter cvstos.jpg Galba denarius virtvs.jpg Otho denarius.jpg Vitellius denarius libertas.jpg Vespasian denarius cos viii mars.jpg

7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Titus denarius sol on column.jpg Domitian denarius minerva.jpg

And that's al... Hey! What are you guys doing here? GET OUT! THIS CLUB IS INVITE ONLY
    Drusus caesar AE as.jpg Tiberius gemellus AE philadelphia lydia.jpg Agrippa ae as neptune.jpg Nero claudius drusus sestertius.jpg Germanicus AE as under claudius.jpg Gaius lucius caesares ae.jpg

8. Ryro

BEA-utiful coins my friend! LOVE your Caligula portrait, btw.
    Yeah, with a pic like that I think I better.

7CD41266-0EC8-46FE-BA60-6211D9B1C926.jpeg CC38B329-01B1-4D12-827A-F5DBEAACB174.jpeg 1E0CE5ED-D2DB-4460-A7F6-034B9A6C76F7.jpeg DDFD00BE-F208-42BB-BE90-2024C11ECBDF.jpeg 3815C8D7-7A89-44D2-ACB1-D79B55B7E0C1.jpeg 4AC70F26-CDCC-4EB5-87AD-0DC21D0937C7.jpeg
    [​IMG]

9. Ryro

And the rest of the gang:

9AAF37C8-9A42-469C-B535-35CC3682593C.jpeg 754479EF-2EC0-4E75-9F7B-D5EAF0281A92.jpeg B1F9787A-0BEF-4D29-8036-38214221BC4B.jpeg 24AEE41F-D1EE-4760-8244-EE7262CCE950.jpeg EED7AE47-071E-44F2-8D3B-3252039AC828.jpeg

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

11. Ryro

Always bringing the class!

[​IMG]

Did the son that made that fantastic MA display get that one for you as well.
    Bing, you are what I want to be when I grow up!

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

The 12 Caesars and the Guy who ended the Julio-Claudians...

Seutonius 12 and the Vindex Cleaning man!
    Seutonius 12 - 12 Caesars PLUS Vindex.jpg

Tets, Denarii, Quinarii, Dupondius, As, etc... combo pack of ocular pleasure!

13. Ryro

AMAZE-balls JC, Alegandron!!! I had to zoom in to see it, but now I see why you call him the "V"index Cleaning man:
    upload_2019-3-25_15-14-1.png

Curtisimo, Theodosius, TIF and 9 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

Double-entendre... RHYMES with Windex, AND he started the CLEAN-UP of the Julio-Claudian Regime (Nero) :D

NYUK-NYUK-NYUK
    upload_2019-3-25_16-19-45.png

RI Civil War Revolt of Vindex CE 68-69 AR Denarius 17mm 3.02g RIC I 62-RARE.JPG
    RI Civil War Revolt of Vindex CE 68-69 AR Denarius ROMA RESTITVTA - IVPITER LIBERATOR Jupiter seated r Tbolt Scepter 17mm 3.02g RIC I 62 RSC 374-RARE

Curtisimo, Theodosius, TIF and 11 others like this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

FC6DCB81-C595-4917-BB5D-A58F26318A6F.gif

ominus1, Ryro and dadams like this.
  16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

one of my favorite movies! :).. and here's a vintage copy of the book, but not the original 12 caesars suetonius 1931 002.JPG

Curtisimo, TIF, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  17. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

... Otho says, "Give me a martinus." The Bartender asks, "You mean Martini?" Otho snaps, "if I wanted two drinks I would have ordered two."

Curtisimo, Theodosius, TIF and 6 others like this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

19. Alegandron

Massive Ditto. Redefined real life! :D

ominus1 and Ryro like this.
  20. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

My parents bought me a copy of Robert Grave's translation of the Twelve Caesars the summer I turned 14. If they knew what was in that book I doubt it would've been a birthday gift!

I still have it.

20190325_202301.jpg

Curtisimo, Orfew, Theodosius and 7 others like this.
  21. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Awesome sets everyone, I'm a big fan of the 12 myself.
    The First 12 in black.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted