12 Caesars: Vitellius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IdesOfMarch01, Sep 20, 2017.

1. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Vitellius

Vitellius.jpg

Aulus Vitellius would be the third emperor in the year of four emperors (69 AD), and would reign for eight months from April to December – longer than his two immediate predecessors (Galba and Otho).

Roman_Empire_69.svg.png

Vitellius was born in 14 AD to Lucius Vitellius and his wife Sextilia, to a family of either low origins or descendants of the past rulers of Latium, depending on whose ancient account you choose to believe. As a youth, he spent time on the isle of Capri with Tiberius during the latter’s self-imposed exile. While in Capri, he apparently earned the reputation as a spintria – a male prostitute – supposedly in return for his father’s political advancement, although this story is not supported by other ancient writers; it was promulgated by Suetonius who was openly hostile to Vitellius.

He was a favorite of the next three emperors following Tiberius: Caligula, who admired Vitellius’ skill at chariot racing; Claudius, for Vitellius’ skill at dice (Claudius is said to have written a book on dicing); and Nero, whom Vitellius flattered incessantly, often persuading Nero to sing and play the lute at public events. This latter skill of sycophantic obsequiousness would serve Vitellius well in his later career.

In addition to gambling, Vitellius distinguished himself early on as a glutton. Despite his lack of military experience, when Galba became emperor, he appointed Vitellius the governor of Lower Germany, partly because Galba was convinced that “… since Galba openly declared that no men were less to be feared than those who thought of nothing but eating, and that Vitellius's bottomless gullet might be filled from the resources of the province, it is clear to anyone that he was chosen rather through contempt than favor.”

Vitellius’ skill at flattery would endear him to the troops under his charge. Again, Suetonius writes:

On his arrival the army, which was disaffected towards the emperor and inclined to mutiny, received him gladly with open arms, as if he had come to them as a gift from the gods; since he was the son of a man who had thrice been consul, in the prime of life, and of an easy-going and lavish disposition.This earlier good opinion Vitellius had also strengthened by recent acts, for throughout the march he kissed even the common soldiers whom he met, and at the posthouses and inns he was unusually affable to the mule drivers and travellers, asking each of them in the morning whether they had breakfasted and even showing by belching that he had done so.

“As soon as he had entered the camp, he granted every request that anyone made and even of his own accord freed those in disgrace from their penalties, defendants of suits from their mourning, and the convicted from punishment. Therefore hardly a month had passed, when the soldiers, regardless of the hour, for it was already evening, hastily took him from his bedroom, just as he was, in his common house-clothes, and hailed him as emperor.”

Vitellius had been hailed emperor by his troops about the same time as Otho. Initially this didn’t worry Otho, since Vitellius and his troops had revolted against Galba, not him. But with Vitellius’ troops already on the march toward Rome to unseat Galba, they wouldn’t be stopped just because Otho was now emperor. Otho’s attempts to both assassinate and negotiate with Vitellius failed, so a military conflict was inevitable.

Marching on Rome to claim his title, Vitellius’ troops engaged Otho's armies at Bedriacum. Otho's armies were soundly defeated in April of 69 AD, and Vitellius continued on to Rome and was recognized as emperor by the Senate.

Upon reaching Rome in July 69 AD, Vitellius short-sightedly replaced the Praetorian Guard with his troops from Germany and made no attempt to win over the defeated armies of Otho nor troops from other parts of the Empire. This turned out to be a fatal mistake, as rivalry among the many legions would continue the civil war. In July, Vespasian (who was fighting the Judaean war) was hailed emperor by the legions in Judaea, Alexandria, and Syria. They were joined by the Moesian legions under the command of Marcus Primus, and the end was in sight for Vitellius even before he entered Rome.

At a second battle of Bedriacum, Vitellius' troops were defeated and Vitellius wisely decided to abdicate, influenced by Vespasian's brother Flavius Sabinus who was the city prefect of Rome. A deal was struck through Sabinus: Vitellius would abdicate to Vespasian in exchange for 1,000,000 aurei. Though the deal was acceptable to Sabinus, the Praetorian guard was enraged and demanded that the deal be retracted. Sabinus was captured and killed, and Vespasian’s son Domitian barely escaped with his life (Vespasian’s other son Titus had been left to finish the war in Judaea).

Primus’ legions entered Rome on December 20th 69 AD, captured and assassinated Vitellius who was attempting to hide by pretending not to be Vitellius, and the Senate hailed Vespasian as emperor, the fourth and last emperor of the year 69 AD.

About the Coins

Vitellius struck coins in Spain (probably Tarraco), Gaul (probably Lugdunum), and Rome. The Rome mint struck coins for Vitellius only after Otho had been overthrown, although the other two mints were striking coins after Vitellius was declared Imperator. While Otho struck no imperial bronzes, Vitellius struck bronzes at the Rome mint, likely using some of Galba’s reverse dies.

9 - Vitellius mint set.jpg

My Vitellius as is among my favorite 12 Caesars small bronzes; the relief in this coin’s obverse is amazing, and the picture doesn’t do it justice. Vitellius’ portrait on the sestertius is quite artistic, although the reverse suffers from a weak strike, making Mars look as if he’s holding nothing rather than Victory in his extended right hand.

Let’s see those Vitelliuses!

Next: Vespasian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

All beautiful coins. He's my favorite of the 12 for various silly reasons.

[​IMG]
    Vitellius (69 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: A VITELLIVS GERMAN IMP TR P, Laureate head right.
    R: S P Q R / OB / C S in three lines within wreath.
    Rome Mint, 69 A.D.
    3g
    18.5mm
    RIC I 83; RSC 86

Multatuli, Cucumbor, zumbly and 13 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I really need a 'proper' Vitellius. Mine is early in the reign and looks too much like Otho. rb1185bb2950.jpg

Multatuli, Cucumbor, zumbly and 14 others like this.
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here is my only example.
    VIT new.jpg

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins all

IMG_2805.JPG

Multatuli, Cucumbor, zumbly and 12 others like this.
  9. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Foto 1.jpg
    A VITELLIVS IMP GERMAN / FIDES EXERCITVVM S C
    As, Tarraco, January/July 69
    RIC 42, C 14, BMCRE 103, Sear 2217, CBN 17, ERIC 153
    Foto 2.jpg

Multatuli, Cucumbor, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

RIC 107

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 1.00.27 PM.png
    It strikes me that Vitellius is not one of CT Ancients' strengths. Ides of March is doing the lion's share of the work here!

Multatuli, Cucumbor, zumbly and 11 others like this.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

As usual, Ides coins are all amazing examples with write-ups to match. Here's one of mine that is very rarely seen for sale.
    VitLVitCurule.jpg
    Vitellius (69 AD). AR Denarius, 18 mm, 2.51 g. Rome mint. Struck late April to December 20, 69.
    O: A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P, laureate head right.
    R: L VITELLIVS COS III CENSOR, L. Vitellius seated left on curule chair, holding branch and eagle-tipped sceptre.
    RIC I, 97 (R); Cohen 55 (40 Francs).

Lucius Vitellius the elder, the father of the emperor of the same name, had an impressive career under Tiberius, Caligula and Claudius. He achieved the highest honors attainable by a private man at Rome under the Empire: consul for the third time and censor. He held these offices during the reign of Claudius, being a close friend of the emperor and the most influential Roman senator.

Vitellius died unexpectedly from a paralytic stroke in 51 and received a statue on the speaker's platform on the Roman Forum, with the inscription 'Of unwavering loyalty to the emperor'.

The year 36 saw an incident which deserves mentioning. In Judaea, a Samaritan, claiming to be Moses reincarnate, gathered an armed following. The prefect of Judaea, Pontius Pilate, intervened immediately, dispersed the crowd, and had the ringleaders executed. The Samaritans considered his violence excessive and appealed to the Syrian governor. Vitellius heard their complaints, sent Pilate back to Italy and appointed Marcellus. The high priest Joseph Caiaphas, was replaced by his brother-in-law Jonathan.

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great write-ups and coins everyone!

My Vitellius is not stellar, and has a horrible Cauliflower Ear!

RI Vitellius 69 CE AR Denarius Pont Max Vesta Seated RIC 107.jpg
    RI Vitellius 69 CE AR Denarius Pont Max Vesta Seated RIC 107

Multatuli, Cucumbor, zumbly and 12 others like this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All very nice coins IOM, but I really love those two AE. My solitary Vitellius. 2015-01-07 01.07.48-3 (550x264).jpg

Multatuli, Cucumbor, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  14. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Your writeup managed to include an element of drama, which made it a good read. Excellent coins, as always.

One of my examples: (Which was overcleaned before I got it, and is too shiny for decent pics with my standard setup. Sorry.)
    Aulus Vitellius (69)
    (BMCRE 34; RSC 72; RIC R20)
    Minted at Rome
    [​IMG]

A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P
    laureate head, right

Vitellius accepted the title Augustus on July 18. This commenced his third coin issue, adding AVG to the titular inscription, and remained the form until his death December 20, 69 AD. The laureate wreath and the title TR P were probably the result of a definite decree of the Senate.

PONT MAXIM
    Vesta, veiled, seated right on throne, patera in right hand, scepter in left

Vitellius was elected "Pontifex Maximus" (Chief Priest) on July 18, the anniversary of the Roman disaster of Allia in 390 BC at the hands of the Gallic Senones. A significant historical event with lasting cultural effects. The worship of Vesta (e.g. Vestal Virgins) as one of the main parts of Roman religion was always very closely associated with the "Pontifex."

Cucumbor, zumbly, randygeki and 10 others like this.
  15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I'm going to cheat a bit. I think the engraver had Vitellius in mind while working on this coin's portrait.

V19f.jpg Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 3.45g
    Rome mint, 69-70 AD
    RIC 19 (C), BMC 7, RSC 84
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: COS ITER FORT RED; Fortuna, draped, standing l.,setting r. hand on prow and holding cornucopiae in l. hand

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Love the write-up and nice coins!

18. alde

alde Always Learning

These guys didn't last long. Vitellius AR Denarius RIC 66.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Multatuli, Cucumbor, zumbly and 10 others like this.
  19. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins! It's interesting to see the differences in engraving execution between the aureus and denarius.

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Those bronzes are truly amazing! And thanks for yet another enjoyable writeup.

21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Another great set. I'm still awaiting the day I will be disappointed by your coins and writeups....:)

[​IMG]
    Vitellius, Denarius Rome mint, July - December 20, AD69
    A VITELLIVS GERMAN IMP TR P, Laureate head of Vitellius right
    XV VIR SACR FAC, Tripod-lebes with dolphin lying right on top and raven standing right below
    3.43 gr, 16-18 mm
    Ref : RCV # 2201var, Cohen cf # 110 et suiv, RIC I # 86 (this example illustrated in Wildwinds)

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted