12 Caesars: Vespasian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IdesOfMarch01, Sep 23, 2017.

1. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Vespasian

Vespasian.png

Titus Flavius Vespasianus was born in 9 AD to an undistinguished family in Falacrinae, a village northeast of Rome. He was to be the final emperor in The Year of Four Emperors.

Roman_Empire_69.svg.png

His older brother Sabinus entered public life, pursuing the cursus honorum (a sequence of public offices for aspiring politicians that included military and political administration posts). As a youth, Vespasian apparently lacked his brother’s ambition; Suetonius writes:

After assuming the garb of manhood he for a long time made no attempt to win the broad stripe of senator, though his brother had gained it, and only his mother could finally induce him to sue for it. She at length drove him to it, but rather by sarcasm than by entreaties or parental authority, since she constantly taunted him with being his brother's footman.”

Thus goaded by his mother (a spiritual relative of Livia, perhaps?), Vespasian served in Thrace for three years as a tribune of the soldiers. During these years he married Flavia Domitilla, with whom he had three children: a daughter Domitilla, and two sons Titus and Domitian. Unfortunately, both his wife and daughter died before Vespasian became emperor.

Vespasian had caught the notice of Claudius’ freedman Narcissus, and when Claudius invaded Britain in 43 AD, Vespasian was given command of a legion. He distinguished himself in 30 battles, taking 20 towns (some of which were probably little more than forts on hills) under the overall leadership of the command of Autius Plautius. Although his star was rising, after Claudius’ death, Claudius’ wife Agrippina Jr. was suspicious of many of Claudius’ associates, and Vespasian’s career seems to have stalled until later in Nero’s reign.

Nero appointed him proconsul of Africa, and Vespasian did not exploit his position for personal financial gain. Although he was part of Nero’s extravagant entourage on the latter’s tour of Greece, Vespasian was expelled when he fell asleep during one of Nero’s singing performances.

Vespasian would soon gain prominence as the Roman commander who put down the Judaean revolt. It’s instructive to understand how Vespasian was chosen for this command; according to Suetonius:

Since to put down this rebellion required a considerable army with a leader of no little enterprise, yet one to whom so great power could be entrusted without risk, Vespasian was chosen for the task, both as a man of tried energy and as one in no wise to be feared because of the obscurity of his family and name.”

In other words, Vespasian could be trusted because he wasn’t so ambitious that he would usurp the current rulers in power.

In 69 AD, Nero, Galba, and Otho would fail rapidly as would-be Roman emperors, and after Otho’s defeat and suicide, Vespasian’s troops hailed him emperor despite the fact that Vitellius had also been hailed emperor by his troops. Confrontation was inevitable.

Vitellius had Rome’s best and most experienced troops on his side – those from Gaul and the Rhineland – but more legions were declaring for Vespasian, including those in Moesia, Pannonia, and Illyricum, plus the legions in Syria under Mucianus. This made Vespasian the de facto leader of over half the Roman Empire.

While Vespasian delayed his march from Alexandria – his son Titus was still fighting the Judaean revolt – an ambitious commander named Primus had gained control of the legions in Pannonia and Moesia. Primus was an opportunist who used Vespasian as a means for his own ambitions, and somewhat of an unwanted ally, but he proved useful in opposing Vitellius. By October 69, with Vespasian still in Alexandria, Primus invaded Italy with five legions and decisively defeated the Vitellians at the Second Battle of Bedriacum. Primus’ troops looted nearby Cremona for four days and then marched south to Rome, with the legions of Mucianus not far behind.

Primus met more Vitellian forces at Narnia, 40 miles outside of Rome, but rather than engaging in a costly (and probably losing) battle, the Vitellians were convinced to defect, and the handwriting was on the wall (probably in Times Roman font) for Vitellius. Vitellius wisely decided to abdicate, influenced by Vespasian's brother Flavius Sabinus who was the city prefect of Rome. A deal was struck through Sabinus: Vitellius would abdicate to Vespasian in exchange for 1,000,000 aurei. Though the deal was acceptable to Sabinus, the Praetorian guard was enraged and demanded that the deal be retracted. Sabinus was captured and killed, and Vespasian’s son Domitian barely escaped with his life.

Shortly thereafter, Primus and his legions entered Rome in the name of Vespasian, and proceeded to plunder and massacre in the capital until the legions of Mucianus arrived the next day and ousted Primus. During this time, Vespasian was still in Alexandria and would remain there for another six months, hoping for the conclusion of the Judaean war. But eventually he could wait no longer and in the summer of 70 AD took a ship to Brundisium. He made the rest of his way to Rome on land, arriving in October of 70 AD, some 15 months after being hailed Caesar by his and other troops.

Vespasian inherited an empire that was in extreme disarray and completely bankrupt. Vespasian proceeded to raise funds by almost any means necessary. Suetonius writes:

“Some say that he was naturally covetous and was taunted with it by an old herdsman of his, who on being forced to pay for the freedom for which he earnestly begged Vespasian when he became emperor, cried: "The fox changes his fur, but not his nature." Others on the contrary believe that he was driven by necessity to raise money by spoliation and robbery because of the desperate state of the treasury and the privy purse; to which he bore witness at the very beginning of his reign by declaring that forty thousand millions were needed to set the State upright. This latter view seems the more probable, since he made the best use of his gains, ill-gotten though they were.”

In order to raise the 400,000,000 aurei Suetonius mentions above, Vespasian resorted to practices that although lucrative, were not exactly ethical. He openly sold pardons to convicted criminals; he took bribes from politicians and those seeking political office; he even imposed a urine tax on public toilets, proclaiming “Pecunia non olet” (“Money does not smell.”). Yet despite his outward appearance of stinginess and greed, which would follow him to his grave, it appears that he mostly used this money to rebuild Rome and its finances after the disastrously profligate reign of Nero and the ensuing civil wars. Indeed, Suetonius also notes:

“He was most generous to all classes, making up the requisite estatefor senators, giving needy ex-consuls an annual stipend of five hundred thousand sesterces, restoring to a better condition many cities throughout the empire which had suffered from earthquakes or fires, and in particular encouraging men of talent and the arts.

“He was the first to establish a regular salary of a hundred thousand sesterces for Latin and Greek teachers of rhetoric, paid from the privy purse. He also presented eminent poets with princely largessand great rewards, and artists, too, such as the restorer of the Venus of Cosand of the Colossus.To a mechanical engineer, who promised to transport some heavy columns to theCapitol at small expense, he gave no mean reward for his invention, but refused to make use of it, saying: "You must let me feed my poor commons."

Vespasian's legacy is extensive although not necessarily well documented. It's known that he initiated the building of the Colosseum in 71 AD, to be completed by his son Titus after Vespasian’s death of a fever in 79 AD. He also built the new temple of Capitoline Jupiter and the temple of Peace in the Forum, as well as much other building in the western Roman Empire. My observation is that most of Vespasian's success is implied and not recorded: he inherited an empire in extreme disarray but by the time of his death, handed off a smoothly and well-functioning Rome to his son.

Despite his parsimonious side, he was also know for his wit and easy-going nature – a contrast to his proven abilities as a strong and successful military general. The Flavian dynasty, through Vespasian and his sons Titus and Domitian, would rule until 96 AD.

About the Coins

Vespasian started striking coins in his name while in Judaea as governor under Nero. After being hailed emperor, he struck coins at Antioch and Alexandria during the conflict and defeat of Vitellius. He struck Imperial coins not only in his name, but in the names of his two sons Titus and Domitian (both as Caesar). His coinage was extensive – RIC Volume II revised has over 120 pages listing Vespasian’s imperial coinage.

A - Vespasian mint set.jpg

The feature I appreciate most in my Vespasian mint set is the distinctly different look of each obverse portrait: on the dupondius, there is imperious Vespasian; on the elegant Judaea Capta sestertius, there is Vespasian the benign conqueror; on the Judaea Capta denarius, Vespasian appears (to my eye) a bit surprised and puzzled; finally on the aureus there is Vespasian the elder statesman and leader. And for reasons I can’t articulate, I’ve always found the anatomical correctness of Neptune on the aureus’ reverse to be quintessentially Roman.

Bring out those Vespasian coins and stories!

Next: Titus

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pompeius

Pompeius Well-Known Member

Great post. I would consider Vespasian the best emperor besides Augustus. He inherited one of the largest messes in history, with wars in Gaul, Germania, and Judaea, and turned Rome into a paradise.

Having seen the beautiful posters of @Deacon Ray, I have been trying to make my own, the results of which are seen below.

COIN POSTERS.jpg

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins, my favorite is the Sestertius.

[​IMG]
    Vespasian (69 - 79 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: AYTOK KAIΣ ΣEBA OYVEΣΠAΣIANOY; Head of Vespasian, laurerate, r., date LΓ before neck
    R: No Legend; Nike flying l., with wreath and palm.
    Alexandria mint, 70-71 AD
    12.82g
    25mm
    RPC 2423

[​IMG]
    Vespasian (69 - 79 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    ANTIOCH, SYRIA, 69 A.D.
    O: AVTOKPATWP KAICAP CEBACTOC OVECPACIANOC, laureate head right
    R: ETOYC NEOY IEPOY A, Eagle standing left on club, palm branch in left field.
    23mm
    14.4g
    RPC 197

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That Aureus is superb!

Here are my more pedestrian coins of Vespasian. I have more coins of Vespasian in my collection than of any other emperor.

Vespasian, 69-79 A.D. AR Denarius, 3.16g. 21.41mm. Rome, 73 A.D.
    Obv: IMP CAES VESP AVG CENS. Laureate head of Vespasian to right.
    Rev: MAXIM PONTIF. Nemesis walking to right holding caduceus over snake.
    C 385, RIC 544. SRCV I (2000) 2304
    Ex: E. E. Clain-Stefanelli collection. Ex: Numismatica Ars Classica - Auction 92 Part 2, Lot 2133 May 24, 2016; Ex: Ed Waddell
    Coin depicted in the Wildwinds.com database.

This denarius of Vespasian is interesting because of the reverse. The reverse features Nemesis walking with a snake. This reverse was also used earlier by Claudius. In fact, Vespasian revived many of the earlier coin types for his own coinage.

The other interesting fact about this denarius is the provenance. This coin once belonged to E. E. Clain-Stefanelli. She was senior Curator of the National Numismatic Collection in the Numismatics Division of the National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. She also published works concerning ancient coins and their history.

Vesp RIC 544 New.jpg

Vespasian. AD 69-79. AR Denarius Rome mint. Struck AD 74.
    (18.47 mm, 3.39 g, 6h).
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESP AUG Laureate head right
    Rev: PONTIF MAXIM Vespasian seated right, holding scepter and branch.
    RIC II 685; BMCRE pg. 27 ; RSC 386. SRCV 1 (2000) 2305.
    Ex: J. Eric Engstrom Collection
    Ex: CNG E-auction 373, Lot 366 April 20, 2016

I like collecting interesting coins of Vespasian. While not as rare as my examples already posted, this one is certainly not all that easy to find either. What attracted me to this coin was the dark toning. I really like the way the highlights on the portrait and the figure on the reverse seem to come to life against the darker background.

This coin is an example where the emperor is featured on both sides of the coin. His portrait is on the obverse, but he is pictured seated on the reverse. This coin has plenty of detail left on both sides. I also really like that the full legend on both the obverse and reverse are preserved. The legend "Maxim Pontiff" refers to Vespasian's role as chief priest of the empire.
    VESP MAX PONT new.jpg

Vespasian (69-79). AR Denarius (18.08mm, 3.50g, 6h). Rome, AD 75.
    Obv: Bare head l. R IMP CEASAR VESPASIANUS AUG
    Rev: Pax seated l., resting l. elbow on throne and holding branch.
    PON MAX TRP COS VI
    RIC II 773 (this coin); RSC –. Extremely Rare variety, near VF.
    Ex Vecchi sale 13, 1998, 757.
    Ex: St Paul Antiques auction 7 Lot 285 June 11, 2017

Vespasian ruled Rome for 10 years, and he was the last emperor in the year of the four emperors. His rule brought stability to the empire. He was famous for his military response to the Jewish revolt, and for the construction of the Flavian amphitheater. The looting of Jerusalem provided the funding for this building project. The colosseum was completed by his son Titus who became emperor after the death of Vespasian. The Flavian era had three emperors, Vespasian, his son Titus and his other son Domitian.

While this coin is worn, please take note of the bare head of Vespasian. There are only 2 known coin types that feature Vespasian with a bare head, all others are laureate. For one coin type there are several examples known to exist. For the coin type displayed below, this coin is the only one to have surfaced so far. The reference Roman Imperial Coinage II Part 1 refers to this coin but does not have a photo of the coin.

Vespasian RIC 773 new.jpeg
    Egypt, Alexandria. Dattari. Vespasian, 69-79 Diobol circa 70-71 (year 3), Æ
    ( 26.5mm., 9.15g.)
    Obv: Laureate head r.
    Rev. Bust of Isis r.; in front, LΓ. RPC 2430 (this coin cited). Dattari-Savio Pl. 14, 382 (this coin).
    Brown tone. Very Fine.
    From the Dattari collection.
    Naville Numismatics Auction #30, Lot 283, April 02, 2017.

I really like the look of this coin. I also like that it was in the Dattari collection. It is also the plate coin for this issue in Dattari-Salvio.

Vespasian Dattari.jpg

Roman Empire, Vespasian 69-79, Denarius,
    (17.49 mm 3.24g)
    Obv: Laureate head of Vespasian right "IMP CAESAR VESPAS AVG COS II TRPPP" Rev: "AVG" within an wreath, Phi-Alpha monogram above ties. "AVG" in the center. RIC 1414. Ephesos mint, Some roughness on the reverse.
    Ex Savoca Auction #9, lot 533 8/21/16, realized 350 Euro + buyer's fee
    Lot 152 Aegean Nuismatics Agora Auctions July 20. 2017.
    Coin depicted in the Wildwinds.com database

Yes, this is yet another denarius of Vespasian. I like his coins for the variety they offer. There are many interesting reverses on his coinage. this one has an exceptional portrait. You might notice a difference in the portrait style of the denarius when compared to other denarii of Vespasian. This coin was minted in Ephesus. Apparently, the engravers that worked in that mint included some masters of the art. Compare the portrait style to the Rome mint denarii I posted earlier on this blog.

The other interesting thing abut this coin is the reverse. It only has very simple design elements, the wreath and the title AVG forAugustus. Yet there is a real elegance to this reverse for all of its simplicity. There are other Vespasian denarii with this reverse, but my example is one of the rarer examples.

As long as there are interesting and artistic example such as this one, I will continue to add Vespasian's denarii to my collection.
    VESP 1414 New.jpg

6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

You truly have some amazing coins IOM.

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!! Magnificent coins!!

My best example is far more of a 'budget' variety but I loved the price and the devices:p

Vespasian, 1 July 69 - 24 June 79 A.D
    Silver denarius, RIC II, part 1, 702; RSC II 364; BMCRE II 136; BnF III 110, aVF, toned, Rome mint, weight 3.275g, maximum diameter 19.5mm, die axis 135o, 74 A.D.; obverse IMP CAESARVESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right; reverse PON MAX TR PCOS V (high priest, tribune of the people, consul for the 5th time), Vespasian seated right on curule chair, feet on footstool, long scepter near vertical behind in right hand, olive branch in left hand.

[​IMG]

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Vespasian 13.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: COS ITER TR POT, Pax seated left, holding branch and caduceus
    Struck at Rome, 69-71 AD
    3.31g, 18mm
    RIC 29; RSC 94h; Sear 2285
    Vespasian 12.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    AR Denarius
    REVERSE: TR POT X COS VIIII, radiate figure standing on rostral column, holding scepter
    Struck at Rome, 79AD
    2.9g, 18mm
    Sear 2311. BMC 254. RIC 1065 (RIC [1962] 119)
    ex Warren Esty
    Vespasian 8.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    AR Denarius
    REVERSE: PON MAX TR P COS VI, Pax seated left holding branch
    Struck at Rome, 75AD
    2.9g, 18mm
    RIC 772
    Vespasian 5.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAESAR VESP AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: PONTIF MAXIM, Vespasian seated right, holding branch and sceptre.
    Struck at Rome, 74AD
    3.4g, 19mm
    RIC 685, S 2305, C 387
    Vespasian 4.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES VESP AVG P M COS IIII, laureate head right
    REVERSE: AVGVR TRI POT, sacrificial implements: simpulum, aspergillum, jug & lituus
    Struck at Rome, 72/3AD
    2.6g, 18mm
    RIC 356
    Vespasian 1.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: ANNONA AVG, Annona seated left holding bundle of corn ears in her lap
    Struck at Rome, 77/8AD
    3.1g, 18mm
    RIC 964
    Vespasian 7.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    AE3
    OBVERSE: KAICAP OYECΠACIANOC TOMI, laureate head of Vespasian right
    REVERSE: TITOC KAICAP ΔOMITIANOC KAICAP, confronted busts of Titus (left) and Domitian
    Struck at Tomis, Moesia Inferior, 69-79AD
    3.1g, 17mm
    RPC II 402

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Vespasian 11.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    Æ Diobol
    OBVERSE: AYTOK KAIΣ ΣEBA OYEΣΠAΣIANOY, laureate head right
    REVERSE: LE, Draped bust of Isis right wearing uraeus crown
    Struck at Alexandria, Egypt, Year 5 = 72/73 A.D
    9.15 g, 24.9mm
    RPC 2438; Milne 427; Emmett 217
    Ex Zuzim Judaea Coins, New York
    Vespasian 10.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    Æ Dupondius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES VESP AVG P M T P COS V CENS, radiate head left
    REVERSE: FELICITAS PVBLICA S-C, Felicitas standing facing, head left, holding caduceus & cornucopiae
    Struck at Rome, 74AD
    10.2g, 28mm
    RIC 716, (RIC [1962] 555), Cohen 152, BMC 698
    Ex: J.Q. Adams
    Vespasian 2.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES VESP AVG CENS, laureate head right
    REVERSE: PONTIF MAXIM, Vespasian seated right, holding scepter & branch
    Struck at Rome, 73AD
    3.1g, 19mm
    RIC 546
    Vespasian 3.jpg
    VESPASIANAR Denarius
    REVERSE: TR POT X COS VIIII, Ceres seated left, holding grain ears and torch
    Struck at Rome, 79AD
    3.4g, 18mm
    RIC 1062

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My favorite coins of Vespasian come from his Eastern mints. There are several different mintmarks and I fail to undrstand the sgnicance and certain locations of each. It seems like I show the same coins all the time. Memo: Buy more.
    rb1263fd3389.jpg

11. Ancient Aussie

Some really nice Vespasian coins with great detail Orfew, I only have a few of this emperor. 20161111_132105 - Copy (2).jpg 20161111_132138.jpg Vespasian Rome 72-73 AD, 24mm, 10.7g. Large Altar/Enclosure. 355.jpeg Vespasian AE As Rome 76 AD, Victory RIC 897, 11.25gm, 27mm. 2015-01-07 01.07.44-9.jpeg Vespasian Dupondius Rome 73 AD, Felicitas Pvblica, 26mm, 12.74gm, RIC 581. 20160910_101745.jpg 20160910_101757.jpg Vespasian, Alexandria Tetradrachm, 2mm, 12.94. 69 AD.

12. Ancient Aussie

Like yours those Dupondius Felicitas, had great portraiture the celators on those dies were exceptional.

Bing likes this.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to Vespasian and can't wait for Titus! That Judaea Capta sestertius is a treasure! Here are three of my favorites, sestertius, didrachm and denarius.
    VespVicAVG.jpg

VespDidrachm.jpg
    Vespasian Denarius for web.jpg

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Tremendous as always. This time my preference goes to the aureus : utterly superb

[​IMG]
    Vespasian, Denarius Rome mint, AD 72-73
    IMP CAES VESP A VG PM COS IIII, laureate head right
    CONCORDIA AVGVSTI, Concordia seated left on throne, holding patera and cornucopia
    3.37 gr
    Ref : RSC # 74

Q

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Another great write up and coins, that sestertius is absolutely stunning!

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Vespasianus:

RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AE Dupondius Felicitas stdg caduceus cornucopia sinister left.jpg
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AE Dupondius Felicitas stdg caduceus cornucopia sinister left

RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Quinarius Victory seated wreath palm RIC 802 Rare.jpg
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Quinarius Victory seated wreath palm RIC 802 Rare

RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Denarius Jupiter Sacrificing.jpg
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AR Denarius Jupiter Sacrificing

17. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wonderful coins all. This mini celebration of Vespasian is of course close to my heart.

Here are some of my favourite portraits.

V853b.JPG AR Denarius, 3.41g
    Rome mint, 76 AD
    RIC 853 (R2), BMC p. 34 note, RSC 374
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, bare, l.
    Rev: PON MAX TR P COS VII; Pax, bare to the waist, seated l., holding branch extended in r. hand, l. hand on lap
    Ex Private Collection.

V1058.JPG
    AR Denarius, 3.21g
    Rome mint, 79 AD
    RIC 1058 (C), BMC 251, RSC 554
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, l.
    Rev: TR POT X COS VIIII; Capricorn l. : below, globe
    Ex Berk 138, 1 June 2004, lot 224.

V1345.jpg
    AR Denarius, 3.24g
    Uncertain Western Mint, 69-70 AD
    RIC 1345 (R2), BMC - , RSC -
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVGVSTV; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: LIBERTAS PVBLICA; Libertas stg. l., with pileus and rod
    Ex Pecunem 41, 6 March 2016, lot 675.

V1422C.jpg AR Denarius, 2.64g
    Ephesus mint, 71 AD
    RIC 1422C (R2), BMC - , RSC - , RPC -
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPAS AVG COS III TR P P P; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVG; Ceres std. l., on ornate high-backed chair, with corn ears and poppy and cornucopiae; in exergue BY
    Ex Harry N. Sneh Collection.

V1424.jpg
    AR Denarius, 3.32g
    Ephesus mint, 71 AD
    RIC 1424 (R3), BMC - , RSC - , RPC 827 (1 spec.)
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPAS AVG COS III TR P P P; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: LIBERI IMP AVG VESPAS; Titus and Domitian veiled, togate, stg. front (heads l.), each with patera; below, BY mint mark
    Ex Harry N. Sneh Collection.

V1547a.jpg
    AR Denarius, 3.59g
    Antioch mint, 72-73 AD
    RIC 1547 (R2), BMC 498, RSC 588, RPC 1921 (2 spec.)
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, l.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVG; Victory stg. r., on globe, with wreath and palm
    Ex Nomos Obolos 7, 9 July 2017, lot 313.

RPC1801b.jpg AR Tetradrachm, 11.50g
    Antioch mint (for Cyprus), 75-76 AD
    RPC 1801 (16 spec.)
    Obv: AYTOKPATΩP OYЄCΠACIANOC KAICAP; Head of Vespasian, laureate, l.
    Rev: ЄTOYC NЄOY IЄPOY H; Zeus Salaminios standing facing, holding patera in r. hand, l. hand resting on a short sceptre; eagle on l. arm
    Acquired from Herakles Numismatics, February 2015.

RPC1954a.jpg
    AR Tetradrachm, 14.97g
    Antioch mint, 69-70 AD
    RPC 1954 (20 spec.)
    Obv: AYTOKPA OYEΠACIANOC KAICAP CЄBACTOC; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: ЄTOYC NЄOY IЄPOY B; Eagle with wreath in beak standing, l. on club; in l. field, palm branch
    Acquired from Athena Numismatics, August 2014.

RPC2403.jpg
    AR Tetradrachm, 12.56g
    Alexandria mint, 69 AD
    RPC 2403 (9 spec.)
    Obv: AYT TIT ΦΛAYI OYEΣΠAΣIAN KAIΣ; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r., date LA before neck
    Rev: PΩMH; Roma standing l., with spear and shield
    Ex Roma E16, 28 February 2015, lot 268.

18. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great coins David. I love the portrait on RIC 1345.

19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

the most sincerest form of flattery:)

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I really enjoyed the little bits of humor you injected into this write-up... quite appropriate for Vespasian! Oh, and that sestertius... just incredible!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  21. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Awesome effort, @Pompeius ! You definitely have a flair for design. The coin is beautiful and that painting of the destruction of the temple is a masterpiece. Just imagine the effect that painting must have had on people when it was first exhibited back in 1867.

Draft saved Draft deleted