12 Caesars: Titus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IdesOfMarch01, Sep 25, 2017.

1. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Titus

Titus.JPG

Titus Flavius Vespasianus was born in 39 AD. Being given the exact same name as his father (the emperor Vespasian) he would be called by his praenomen Titus. He had two siblings, a sister named Flavia Domitilla (Domitilla the Younger) who died while a young woman; and a brother Domitian, 12 years his junior, who would also become emperor and the last of the Flavians.

When Vespasian became one of emperor Claudius’ favored associates, Titus was brought up at court alongside Claudius’ son Britannicus. They became close friends, and history places Titus seated next to Britannicus during the dinner at which Britannicus was poisoned. Indeed, Titus had even drunk some of the poisoned wine and himself became ill but recovered soon thereafter.

About his future, Suetonius wrote:

“He was brought up at court in company with Britannicus and taught the same subjects by the same masters.At that time, so they say, a physiognomist was brought in by Narcissus, the freedman of Claudius, to examine Britannicus and declared most positively that he would never become emperor; but that Titus, who was standing near by at the time, would surely rule.”

He distinguished himself as a military tribune in Germany and Britain, and became known for his integrity and energy – characteristics he shared with his father. After Nero gave Vespasian command of the Judaean war, Vespasian brought in the then 27-year-old Titus to help him. When Vespasian was hailed Caesar after the death of Galba (at the same time as Vitellius), Titus was left to finish the war in Judaea as Vespasian prepared to return to Rome.

Titus ended the war by taking Jerusalem late in 70 AD, and sailed immediately for Italy, arriving early in 71 and surprising his father who did not expect him. Reunited with his younger brother Domitian, the three of them celebrated the Judaean triumph.

It’s clear that although both Titus and Domitian were named as heirs at the outset of Vespasian’s revolt, Vespasian placed most of his trust and hope in his older son Titus. Once Titus returned to Rome, he replaced Mucianus as head of the Praetorian Guard.

Titus was named Caesar and Imperator during his father’s reign from 69 to 79 AD, but despite his admirable traits, was not very popular with the populace. Suetonius tells us why:

“Besides cruelty, he was also suspected of riotous living, since he protracted his revels until the middle of the night with the most prodigal of his friends; likewise of unchastity because of his troops of catamites and eunuchs, and his notorious passion for queen Berenice, to whom it was even said that he promised marriage. He was suspected of greed as well; for it was well known that in cases which came before his father he put a price on his influence and accepted bribes. In short, people not only thought, but openly declared, that he would be a second Nero. But this reputation turned out to his advantage and gave place to the highest praise, when no fault was discovered in him, but on the contrary the highest virtues.”

But when Titus succeeded his father in 79 AD, he proved to be the effective and thoughtful leader that Rome deserved. One of his first acts as Emperor was to stop the practice of using trials based on treason charges to arrest and execute political opponents; these trials had been used extensively under Tiberius, Caligula, and Nero, but Titus declared:

“It is impossible for me to be insulted or abused in any way. For I do naught that deserves censure, and I care not for what is reported falsely. As for the emperors who are dead and gone, they will avenge themselves in case anyone does them a wrong, if in very truth they are demigods and possess any power.”

During his short tenure, Titus faced a couple significant disasters: Mt. Vesuvius erupted, destroying the port city of Pompeii and the resort city of Herculaneum, and while he was visiting Pompeii for the second time after the eruption, a serious fire broke out in Rome, raging for three days and three nights and burning a large part of the city.

Herculaneum overview dock area2.jpg
    View of Herculaneum showing dock area in lower center of picture. This is where the ocean would have been when Vesuvius erupted.

Herculaneum main street.jpg
    View of Herculaneum's main street, showing shops on the left and official buildings on the right.

Herculaneum cat2.jpg
    One of the official "greeters" of Herculaneum; maybe a spiritual descendant of an ancient ancestor?

Pompeii entrance to city.jpg
    Dock area of Pompeii as viewed from where the ocean would have been when Vesuvius erupted. The street on the right is the main street into the city.

Titus dealt with these disasters quickly and efficiently. He appointed two officials to organize and coordinate the Vesuvius relief efforts and personally donated large amounts of money from the Imperial treasury for the victims. Following the Rome fire, he personally compensated the damaged regions.

Among his most notable achievement is the completion of the Colosseum (know also as the Flavian Amphitheater) started years earlier by his father Vespasian. The opening ceremony lasted 100 days and included gladiatorial combat, fights between wild animals (boo!), mock naval battles (these were done early in the life of the Colosseum when it could be flooded, before the arena floor was dug out and used as a staging area for later games and combats), as well as horse and chariot races.

Colosseum outside.jpg
    The Colosseum as it looks today.

Sadly, Titus died after only a little more than two years as Emperor. Most historians believe he died of natural causes, although some believe his death was hastened in some manner by his ambitious brother Domitian.

Suetonius is uncharacteristically effusive in his praise of Titus. In his chapter on Titus, his first paragraph states “Titus, of the same surname as his father, was the delight and darling of the human race; such surpassing ability had he, by nature, art, or good fortune, to win the affections of all men, and that, too, which is no easy task, while he was emperor; for as a private citizen, and even during his father's rule, he did not escape hatred, much less public criticism.”

About the Coins

Prior to his accession as Emperor, Titus had coins struck in his name by his father. Upon becoming Emperor, Titus struck coins in his own name and his brother Domitian. The most notable coin is the rare Colosseum sestertius (unfortunately I don’t own one of these) and among the more well known coins are his denarii commemorating the opening of the Colosseum.

B - Titus mint set.jpg

My Titus mint set shows the distinct familial resemblance to his father Vespasian, and the denarius is one that commemorates the opening of the Colosseum with the now-extinct North African Forest elephant reverse.

Pile on with your Tituses!

Next: Domitian

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Okidoki, Cucumbor, randygeki and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very good!

Svarog likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Great coins as always.

My more humble budget Titus

3KD049.jpg

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice, love the gold & silver best.

[​IMG]
    Titus (79 - 81 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M•, laureate head right.
    R: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P, facing empty throne of a deity (pulvinar) with a triangular back, back ornamented with uncertain objects and a cross at the peak, seat draped with a fringed cover.
    Rome Mint, 80 A.D.
    3.34g
    17.8mm
    RIC II, part 1, 124; RSC II 313a; BMCRE II 61; BnF III 50; SRCV I 2515

6. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

I love the elephantine denarii, and yours is exemplary. As usual the writeup draws me in.

I was late with Vespasian, but so I have to be on time with Titus.

Titus Flavius Vespasianus (79)
    BMCRE 61; RSC 313a; RIC -
    Minted at Rome

[​IMG]

IMP TITVS CAESAR VESPASIAN AVG P M
    (reading up from left)

bare, laureate bust facing right

When his father was called to Rome to serve as emperor in 69 AD, Titus was charged to finish the "pacification" from the Jewish war that had begun in 66. With the destruction of the Jewish temple in 70 AD, Titus determined most of that work was done, and headed for Rome to assist he father, leaving the cleanup operations to the 10th legion. For the next nine years he served as Caesar under his father, but was automatically advanced to Augustus in 79 AD after his fathers death, a position he occupied for only two years prior to his own death. As a result, out of 14 different obverse inscriptions on the denarii of Titus, only two bear the AVG title for him as Augustus, this one and a shorter version.

TR P IX IMPXV COS VIII P P
    throne with triangular back

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Another great write up and fantastic picks, loverly coins these and previous are a real credit to you. I only have two of Titus one a scarce As depicting the Naval battle on the sea of Galilee. Caesar under Vespasian AD 72-73, 11.08gm, 26mm. 340.jpeg Titus Rome AD 79, AR Denarius 3.41gm, radiate figure on rostral column. 20161209_154923.jpg 20161209_154617.jpg

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Another fantastic thread!!! Wonderful posts everyone!!

Like Mat, I REALLY LOVE the silver and gold best IOM, but I'd happily add any of them to my collection:D

My modest contribution:

AR Denarius of Titus, struck at Rome 80 AD
    3.21 grams, 18 mm
    Laureate bust right
    IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG PM
    Elephant advancing right
    TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P
    RIC 115

My understanding is that this coin was meant to commemorate the opening of the 100 days of games at the (Flavian) Amphitheater which was also referred to as the 'Hunting Theater' and centuries later as the 'Colosseum' that we all know today. Most 'authorities' including the authors of a small book titled "Colosseum", co-authored by Mary Beard and Keith Hopkins, argue that the games were spread over a much longer time ---perhaps a year---and not held consecutively day after day. Moreover they feel the number of animals slain during these games are grossly exaggerated by ancient authors and were 'only' a fraction of the 5-9,000 reported as slain---still a staggering figure. It seems that animals were 'matched' against other species, among themselves and against human adversaries usually referred to as 'bestiarius'. Elephants seem to have 'enjoyed' the same protocols, typically matched against bulls, other elephants or human hunters.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Multatuli, RAGNAROK, Okidoki and 15 others like this.
  10. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Who would like to see a provincial Titus?

iconium_titus-both.jpg
    LYCAONIA, Iconium, Titus, 79-81 AD, AE19 6.23g
    Obv: AYTOK[RATWR TITOS KAISER] Titus bust
    Rev: KLAYD EI[KONIEWN] Head of Perseus
    Von Aulock Lykonians 286-8.

Multatuli, RAGNAROK, Okidoki and 11 others like this.
  11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great coins @IdesOfMarch01

Here are my 2 coins of Titus. The condition is not great but the coins are quite scarce.

This one was minted in his first few weeks as Augustus.
    Titus RIC 1 new.jpg

This one shows a prow on the reverse which recalls earlier republican coinage. It features Titus as Caesar.

TITUS new.jpg

Multatuli, RAGNAROK, Okidoki and 14 others like this.
  12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A few of my favourite coins struck by the 'delight and darling of the human race'.

V529a.jpg
    Titus Caesar
    AR Denarius, 3.48g
    Rome mint, 73 AD
    RIC V529A (R3), BMC - , RSC -
    Obv: T CAES IMP VESP PON TR POT CENS; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: SALVS AVG; Salus std., l., with patera
    Ex Harry N. Sneh Collection. Ex Dr. Busso Peus Nachfolger, Auction 404, 2 November 2011, lot 2570.

V535.jpg Titus Caesar
    AR Quinarius, 1.60g
    Rome mint, 73 AD
    RIC V535 (R), BMC V92, RSC 374
    Obv: T CAES IMP VESP P TR P CENS; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGVSTI; Victory adv. r., with wreath and palm
    15mm, 1.60 gm
    Ex Harry N. Sneh Collection, acquired from Tom Cederlind. Ex Baldwin's Auction 42, 26 September 2005, lot 288 (part). Ex William C. Boyd Collection, acquired from W.S. Lincoln, February 1896.

V985.jpg
    Titus Caesar
    AR Denarius, 3.53g
    Rome Mint, July 77 AD - December 78 AD
    RIC V985 (R), BMC V230, RSC 103
    Obv: T CAESAR VESPASIANVS; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IMP XIII in exergue; Goatherd std. l., milking goat l.
    Ex Harry N. Sneh Collection.

V1440A.jpg
    Titus Caesar
    AR Denarius, 3.27g
    Ephesus mint, 71 AD
    RIC V1440 (R), BMC V467, RSC 39, RPC 843 (4 spec.)
    Obv: IMPERATOR T CAESAR AVGVSTI F; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVG; Ceres std. l., on ornate high-backed chair, with corn ears and poppy and cornucopiae; in exergue, EPHE
    Ex Gemini X, 13 January 2013, Harry N. Sneh Collection, lot 741.

V1481.jpg Titus Caesar
    AR Denarius, 3.29g
    Ephesus (?) mint, 76 AD
    RIC V1481 (R), BMC V485, RSC 61, RPC 1457 (4 spec.)
    Obv: T CAESAR IMP VESP CENS; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r. 'o' mint mark below neck off flan
    Rev: COS V across field;Eagle stg. facing on garlanded altar, wings open, head r.

T1.JPG
    Titus
    AR Denarius, 3.10g
    Rome Mint, 24 June-1 July 79 AD
    RIC 1 (R), BMC 1, RSC 334a
    Obv: IMP T CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: TR POT VIII COS VII; Male captive kneeling r., hands bound behind back, in front of trophy, consisting of helmet, cuirass, crossed swords (?), and round shield
    Acquired from Hail Cesare, August 2004

T89.jpg
    Titus
    AR Denarius, 3.31g
    Rome Mint, 79 - 80 AD
    RIC 89 (C), BMC 106, RSC 25
    Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG PM; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: BONVS EVENTVS AVGVSTI; Bonus Eventus, a naked youth, standing l., holding patera in extended r. hand and corn-ears and poppy in l.
    Acquired from Apollo Numismatics, January 2006.

T116.jpg
    Titus
    AR Denarius, 3.18g
    Rome mint, 80 AD
    RIC 116 (C), BMC 47, RSC 304
    Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, l.
    Rev: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P; Elephant, stg. l.

T112.JPG
    Ttius
    AR Denarius, 2.87g
    Rome mint, 80 AD
    RIC 112 (C2), BMC 72, RSC 309
    Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P; Dolphin coiled around anchor
    Ex Berk 143, 18 May 2005, lot 177.

T515a.jpg
    Titus
    AR Cistophorus, 10.64g
    Rome mint (for Asia), 80-81 AD
    RIC 515 (R), BMC spec. acquired 1948, RSC - , RPC 860 (3 spec.)
    Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: CAPIT across field, RESTIT in exergue; Temple of Capitoline Jupiter with 4 columns enclosing figures of Juno, seated Jupiter and Minverva
    Acquired from Calgary Coin, 30 November 2015. Ex MS collection. Ex Berk 124, 3 January 2002, lot 448.

I could go on and on ...

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coins and write-up.

My Titi:

RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Ceres seated corn ear poppy torch.jpg
    RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Ceres seated corn ear poppy torch

RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Sow piglets.jpg
    RI Titus 79-81 CE AR Denarius Sow piglets
    (Yeah, one of my older of 6 Daughters loves pigs...still a child at 31)

Hey, speaking of Daughters:
    upload_2017-9-25_17-14-22.png
    RI Julia Flavia Titi Diva 90-91 CE daughter of Titus, Seutonius says concubine to Uncle Domitian AE Sestertius 33mm 20.4g - Carpentum mules SPQR - SC

14. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I love that quinarius David. The portrait has a great deal of charm.

Multatuli and David Atherton like this.
  15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Thanks Andrew. It is also a nice bonus Harry Sneh sent along the original tag.

V535tag.jpg

Multatuli, randygeki, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  16. Pompeius

Pompeius Well-Known Member

Here is my humble example of this excellent coin.

image.jpeg

Multatuli, RAGNAROK, Okidoki and 13 others like this.
  17. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I've enjoyed all of these threads quite a bit but I have to say that I think this has been the most interesting of your write ups so far. Nice work @IdesOfMarch01

I also love the photos from your trip as well. Really adds to the cool factor of the thread.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  18. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Wow, great coins again in this thread. The OP aureus is just fantastic!
    Here are a few of my favorites.

TitusTramplingEnemy.jpg
    TITUS, as Caesar. 69-79 AD. Rome Mint AE Sestertius (36mm, 26.62 g). Struck 72 AD. O: Laureate head right, T CAES VESPASIAN IMP PON TR POT COS II R: Titus in military dress, cloak flying behind him, his horse rearing as he attacks prostrate Jew who is armed with sword and shield. SC in exergue. RIC 430, Hendin 1524, Ex Harry N. Sneh Collection Gemini Auction X, ex Goldberg 41, part of lot 2841 (Alan Levin Collection)

It is likely this coin refers to a battle recorded in Josephus Wars Book V Chapter 2, where Titus was ambushed by Jews who “leaped out suddenly at the towers called the "Women's Towers," through that gate which was over against the monuments of queen Helena.”

Cut off from his men, the account goes on, “So he perceived that his preservation must be wholly owing to his own courage, and turned his horse about, and cried out aloud to those that were about him to follow him, and ran with violence into the midst of his enemies, in order to force his way through them to his own men. And hence we may principally learn, that both the success of wars, and the dangers that kings are in, are under the providence of God; for while such a number of darts were thrown at Titus, when he had neither his head-piece on, nor his breastplate, (for, as I told you, he went out not to fight, but to view the city,) none of them touched his body, but went aside without hurting him; as if all of them missed him on purpose, and only made a noise as they passed by him. So he diverted those perpetually with his sword that came on his side, and overturned many of those that directly met him, and made his horse ride over those that were overthrown.

VespTitusDidrachm.jpg
    Vespasian AR Didrachm, Caesarea, Cappadocia mint, 76-77 AD
    O: Laureate head of Vespasian right, AYTOKPA KAICAP OYЄCΠACIANOC CЄBACTOC. (Emperor Vespasian Caesar Augustus)
    R: Laureate head of Titus right, AYTO KAI OYЄCΠACIANOC CЄBACTOY YIOC. (The Son of Emperor Vespasian Caesar Augustus)
    - RPC 1650 Yes, this ones a bit of a cheat!

TitusRaven.jpg
    Titus AR Denarius Rome Mint, 80 AD
    O: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    R: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P; Tripod, with fillets streaming out l. and r., on which are ravens r. and l., and in the center, dolphin over wreath: ('exuviae' of Apollo, for 'pulvinar' of Apollo and Diana (?)).
    - RIC 131 (R), BMC 82, RSC 323a

Reka Devnia hoard, recording only 3 specimens with ravens and the dolphin and 24 specimens of the regular type with only the dolphin. The dolphin, ravens, laurel and tripod are all symbols of Apollo. His most famous attribute is the tripod, the symbol of his prophetic powers. It was in the guise of a dolphin that Apollo brought priests from Crete to Delphi, explaining Apollo's cult title "Delphinios" and the name of the town. He dedicated a bronze tripod to the sanctuary and bestowed divine powers on one of the priestesses, and she became known as the "Pythia." It was she who inhaled the hallucinating vapors from the fissure in the temple floor, while she sat on a tripod chewing laurel leaves. After she mumbled her answer, a male priest would translate it for the supplicant.

19. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Awesome coins everyone:
    Titus Oxen.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 7.51.39 PM.png

Curtisimo, zumbly, RAGNAROK and 13 others like this.
  20. alde

alde Always Learning

This is such a great series of threads with super nice coins and plenty of great historical content. Titus AR Denarius Elephant RIC 115.jpg Titus AR Denarius RIC 124.jpg Titus AR Denarius RIC 128.jpg Titus AE As RIC 619.jpg

Multatuli, Curtisimo, zumbly and 15 others like this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted