12 Caesars Medals - Anyone know anything about these?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    A few months ago I bought these two old 12 Caesars metals. I bid on others but these are the only two I won. I think they're very cool (especially since I do not have ancient coins of either of these fellows).

I've been searching for information on them and have yet to find anything. I'm especially interested in when they may have been made... They look 19th century... but who knows. The only information that was posted with them is that they are British medals. Anyway, anyone run into these before? Thank you!

Josh

28mm 11.7 grams

image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I don't know what those are, but they are pretty cool At first I thought it was a Dasssier medal, maybe it is even, but those look a bit different.

Here's an example of one...

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=217747

One of these is on my list.

Orange Julius likes this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Post them in the exonumia thread. Lots of very sharp numismatists post there and maybe someone has seen them before.

Orange Julius and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, there is some similarity! I searched for "Dassier" + "Galba" "Otho" "Caesars" and other key words and didn't find anything but the similarities in lettering style make me think that they are at least contemporary.

I'll post to the exonumia board and see what comes back. Thanks!

In the meantime feel free to pile on with any non-ancient, ancient medals/medallions! Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted