12 Caesars Gold Aurei

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 20, 2011.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

That's some pretty bullion.

4. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

These are not bullion, which is why this thread isn't in the bullion sub-forum.

stainless

5. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

As far as the coins go, some have large flans, but not a bad collection :p

stainless

6. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

I was joking. ;)

7. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thanks for posting. I wonder whether this is Vagi's personal collection or just coins he graded.

Interestingly, all the coins have been graded and slabbed by NGC-Ancients.

I know in a recent thread, we discussed the controversy of slabbing coins.

I know I might be the minority opinion here, but I think these coins have an enhanced presentation potential by slabbing. Since none of my friends are coin collectors, I could at least allow my friends to examine these gems without fearing they would drop them...or worse. :eek:

Some people have written they would NEVER own or even purchase a slabbed coin. Really? Never? Interesting. After seeing these coins, I wonder.

guy

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Even though we have another thread on it, I will chime in...

I too dont like ancients in slabs, as others pointed out in that thread, the most fun with ancients is holding a piece of 1700+ history. Part of me has ditched collecting U.S. coins because everything is focused on slabs & the high prices with them have turned me off on getting coins I need to finish my u.s. type set. I also dont care for the whole "registry" thing either. I feel its only worth doing if you have bill gate's $$ to throw around. I like holding my coins & I feel the rules that seem to be placed on U.S. coins doesnt allow me to enjoy holding something like my raw EF+ 20c piece.

NOW, if some chance I could ever afford gold pieces that are in this threads link, part of me would want them in a slab for protection due to the big bucks those coins are. It would be fun to hold for sure but I guess if I had that money to play with, a "plastic coffin" would make better sense then a 2x2 plastic flip.

But for every day silver roman denarii or a $8 late empire bronze, heck no!!

9. Eyestrain

Eyestrain Junior Member

Well, yeah. Obviously.

But seriously, now. What's the melt value?

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

What's the order of magnitude price for coins like these?

11. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

Magnificent. One of my dream collections is a denarius of each of the Twelve Caesars. Obviously I need a dream upgrade.

Bart - I know what you mean. I resisted slabs for a long time, now I even self-slab my own raw coins. It makes organization so much easier.

I was showing my business partner, who really wants to be a coin collector but is baffled by how much there is to know, a slabbed 2 cent piece I'd recently bought. He promptly dropped it and was so fearful he'd damaged it.

I laughed and said, "Look clumsy, if you could hurt that coin by dropping it, I'd have never let you handle it."

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Deep down I am sure you did get shocked in some way. Slabs can shatter...like one of mine from ICG did. :/

13. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Answering my own question is a quote from the article:

guy

Draft saved Draft deleted