1100 gram silver bar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Matthew Kruse, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Does anyone know what these markings mean? They look like some Asian writing. Is this pure silver or 925? Thanks.

upload_2020-4-3_11-51-3.jpeg upload_2020-4-3_11-51-3.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Certainly Asian characters. They look Chinese to me. I'm not familiar with those markings though.

4. Matthew Kruse

The guy wants 550 but I’m trying to bring it down to 520... how much would you spend on it?

5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Since we don’t know what it really is, I’d say zero.

midas1 likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

There are guys on the bullion page that are tuned in to these bars. I only purchase bullion rounds. I wonder if one of the mods can move this to the bullion page for you so you can get a more informed answer.

7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

There are so many counterfeit bullion bars with recognizable markings. Buying bullion bars with unrecognized markings goes against any prudent purchase for me.

Definitely your call. YMMV

8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Yes, it is a silver colored bar. However, almost all metals are silver colored.

Like others said, how much confidence do you have that this is silver? Is it silver all of the way through?

1100 grams is a weird weight for a bar.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Personally I wouldn't buy it! :D Sterling Silver is a pain to sell as opposed to .999 silver. Let someone else buy it! :singing:

10. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I saw this exact picture recently on someone asking for info (Probably the owner). Although I collect vintage bullion, I don't know anything about asian bars like this. However, I saw multiple people say this was a counterfeit and that the markings are incorrect. Now is it actually silver? I have no clue but from what others said, it appears that its silver content is its only value.

11. Matthew Kruse

Was it on reddit?

12. Matthew Kruse

The owner sent me a link to a reddit page about it. It is from the Qing Treasury. I still don’t know if it is 925 or 999 but it is old!

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you're having trouble identifying it, so will the person that you sell it to if you buy it. It has no markings other than those unknown oriental characters. How do you know it's weight, the silver content or anything else about it?

How do you know it's old? Just because of a link the seller sent you? Time to pass on this and spend your money on something else.

14. Matthew Kruse

I just brought him down to 450.

15. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, it was reddit! Well if I were you, as long as it was sigma verified for purity and the premium isn't horrible, then go for it if you like it

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

His asking price was $550. You were trying to get him down to $520. Now he's down to $450. Even if this is the real deal I'd walk away as something doesn't sound right.

Silver is at $14.50 an ounce. That's just under 7 ounces. I have a hard time with the seller willing to do the price by 7 ounces. Please proceed with caution.

17. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Have the seller check the purity and shoot you over a picture of the readout as it sits on the machine.

18. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Spot .999 today is $0.46 a gram x 1100 is $506.
    Sounds too good in the current market unless it's .925.
    Sounds like the seller is trying to hard to make a sale without verifying the purity.

19. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Made in China???????

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

1100 grams is a little over 35 oz and basically it is a unmarked bar of silver of unknown fineness. A silver smelter might be willing to risk it paying as if it was a 10 oz bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted