11 Proof Quarters!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Jessiesquarters, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Jessiesquarters

Jessiesquarters New Member

F294C0DE-575D-49EB-ACB2-8515D68B3CCD.jpeg F294C0DE-575D-49EB-ACB2-8515D68B3CCD.jpeg B5039958-D80E-4274-9570-7F32D83485BD.jpeg FF808697-ED5C-447B-99B0-5F5DFB0E1C26.jpeg Hey guys! I have never used any sort of coin forum and I know literally nothing about coins but my dad is passionate about collecting and I would love to learn more! :)

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was just working the drive through window at my job when I needed to crack open a fresh roll of quarters. After doing so I noticed one very shiny quarter and was intrigued, so I grabbed onto it and brought it home to show my dad. He was pleasantly surprised and told me it was a 1978 proof quarter and he was surprised I found it in circulation. The next two weeks I found 10 more in coin rolls ranging in years from 1978-1985, all in pretty good shape.

My dad thinks someone’s collection must have just recently entered circulation but I just wanted to ask the forum and see what others thought! I’m adding pics of 10 because I don’t currently have the eleventh. Just looking for thoughts or ideas about why I could possibly have found so many ! Thanks guys! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Welcome to CoinTalk!

Your dad is probably right. Nice finds! Always be on the lookout for any silver, proofs, or anything interesting at your job!

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's a solid find! I have searched 10's of thousands of dollars worth of quarters and have only found a handful of proofs. Probably as many as you found in your one roll. Someone definitely dumped a collection or at least a bunch of proof quarters into circulation. It happens, especially when an older collector dies off and the family just dumps the collection.

David Betts likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood @Jessiesquarters !

It is possible that someone needed the money so they tapped their collection for extra funds. It is also possible that some kid "raided" the collection of a parent. It happens a lot.

In any event, these quarters don't appear to have been damaged in circulation. If they had, they would have become "impaired proofs" and not worth as much. If your Dad hasn't already suggested it, you should put them in 2x2's or flips to protect them. Your Dad should know what I mean.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted