11/19/202 I bought 2020-W $50 Gold Eagle Uncirculated

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Raizac, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

As far as I know, the burnished gold and silver coins are designated SP rather than MS.

John Burgess, Paddy54 and Raizac like this.
  4. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

It is the best you can get for that coin.

Raizac likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

7. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

But it's supposed to be uncirculated THATS WHAT THE MINT SAYS and what the package it came in says. this sounds like it's an up grade to the coin

8. cpm9ball

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

MS (Mint State) , SP (Specimen), AND PR (Proof) are all classifications,
    A bullion gold eagle would be called "MS". normal manufacturing.
    A "uncirculated" gold eagle would be "SP". special care taken.
    A proof Gold eagle would be "PR". extra care taken to make an outstanding example, totally different process of either MS or SP.

generally speaking, the Bullion or "MS" coins won't be treated specially, to get a MS70 is much more difficult.

An"uncirculated" coin sold direct from the mint, isn't the "normal" strike so it gets the SP designation. it's a "Specimen strike" it's not quite a proof, but better than the business strike method of normal manufacture, these should most all be SP69 or SP70.

Then there is proof, literally all of these should be PR69 or PR70 now a days.

Some people may not be able to tell the difference between the bullion coin and the uncirculated sold to collectors coin from the mint ( one has a mintmark, the other don't so it shouldn't be that hard), but since some people don't understand things, the graders using the SP designation and it stops some of the confusion.

I have no idea what the "collector" market is for gold eagles or which ones get the better valuations, the bullion, the Burnished or the proof. all I know is that the gold W proof V75 coin was the big winner this year of all the issues.

I think there is some hype to the 2020W burnished because of the 7000 mintage, and there being a premium for 70 graded coins.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Randy Abercrombie and Raizac like this.
  10. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

thanks for that info!

Draft saved Draft deleted