10K & 14K Gold Odds & Ends. (Not Coins)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by tommyc03, Oct 9, 2021.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If it were coins I could figure it out but I have some odds and end jewelry that I need to sell and was wondering what it's worth "realistically" to a dealer to buy from me. I'm leaving for N.H. for vacation and stopping in at one dealer I have visited for many years. I don't want to go in blind. Thanks very much. Total 14K=34.1 Grams....10K=28.81 Grams.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

14k = .5833% purity
    10k = .4167% purity

Spot gold is $1,763/oz (10/9/21 price)
    $1,763 ÷ 31.103 grams/Troy oz = $56.68/g

14k = 34.1g x $56.68/g x .5833 = $1,127.45

10k = 28.81g x $56.68/g x .4167 = $680.45

Those are your spot prices. Now you have to determine what's fair with your dealer.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Thanks very much. I appreciate the help.

masterswimmer likes this.
  5. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Depending on the overall condition of your jewellery, you may get offered a couple of $ over or a fair bit under spot.
    It will also depend on what it is.

Fashions & taste change all the time, which means they may or may not be good sellers on the 2nd hand market.

If there any gemstones ( diamond, sapphire, emerald, ruby, etc ) you probably wont get offered anywhere near what You think they are worth.

At the end of the day it boils down to what you Want for it.
    Which could be far removed from what you are offered.

Most dealers will offer you below spot and say it is only worth scrap price.
    It can feel like you are being insulted, unfortunately that is just the way it is when selling to a dealer.

It is also a good idea to contact them by phone to figure out whether they would be interested or not and what they pay.

I hope this helps ;)

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This is a mix. A couple of nice Italian chains. A class ring and a few other wedding bands. Likely all scrap except for the Italian gold. Not really much for fashion.

7. john-charles

john-charles Member

If you have colored gemstones, be careful. A lot of gold buyers won't even offer on them, paying only for the scrap metal, in part because of a lack of education and because it is very difficult to appraise many types of gemstones. Advanced counterfeiting plagues the gem trade. If you do have colored stones, you might be better off trying to get them identified by an honest gemologist. Depending on what they are, you might even want to get them graded. Good luck.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The only stone is in the class ring and not likely a gemstone, just cut glass like most. This will likely be taken out to get a final proper weight. Thanks for the reply.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Put the stone in that ring up to your cheek. If it’s warm feeling then it’s a stone. If it’s cold, it’s glass.

Not sure if you want cash but you can always trade for a coin. You might get a better deal.

Have a great vacation Tommy! :)

tommyc03 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

If you are willing and the Italian made chains only need a clean/ polish, put them on the bay.
    I agree that the class ring will be cut glass, best to take it out if you are going to scrap it.

Good luck & let us know what you were offered if you don't mind ;)

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Just curious, are silver items supposed to be marked (stamped) 10 or 14 K ?

Dave

12. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

10k & 14k are hallmarks for gold.

Silver is marked .925, sterling, .850, etc

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. Qsins

Qsins Member

Sure it's not white gold? Which is gold just silver looking? I think comes in 10 & 14k.

14. Collecting Nut

White gold was developed to imitate the look of platinum but at a lower cost. White gold cones in any karat. It’s all based on 1/24th or 1k which is about 4.17% gold. 10k would be about 42% gold. It doesn’t matter weather it’s gold or white gold, the value is all based on the karat weight.

tommyc03 and goossen like this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Thanks. I have my son doing the driving again and we had a blast last year. And I was thinking of doing a trade if possible. Looking for a few keys. My stop is Newfound Coin & Jewelry to see Doug & Larry.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Be sure to put out a sign:
    GONE FISHING

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted