104-Year-Old Coin Received In Change Today

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hobo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I went to Taco Bell today for lunch. My three tacos came to $3.18. I had three $1 bills and some dimes and nickels plus two cents. I was one cent short of having exact change so I handed the cashier $3.20 and received two cents back in change. I immediately noticed one coin was a Wheat Cent but my old eyes could not make out the date. Expecting it to be from the 1950s I put the coin in my watch pocket so I could inspect it later.

When I got home it took out a loupe and looked at my coin. At first I didn't believe what I thought I saw. The date was 1909. Holy cow! I received a 104-year-old coin in change! That's pretty cool.

The coin does not have a mintmark but I cannot tell if it is a VDB because the coin is extremely corroded. It looks like this coin spent the better part of its life buried in the ground. But it is 104 years old and I received it in change today! Woo hoo!! I am glad I did not have that other cent I needed for exact change.

Sorry, no photos. I am in Georgia (to rebuild my father's house that burned last October) and my camera equipment is at my house in Colorado.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Should have camera to record progress of the rebuild:yes: So then we can see the Georgia found '09 also.

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I have a camera but it is not suitable for close-up photos of coins. If anyone is interested in the rebuild I can start a thread and post photos of the progress. I have a few things planned that some people may find interesting; for example, I still need to price out the work but instead of using batt insulation in the walls and blown-in insulation in the ceilings I hope to foam the walls and the attic creating an encapsulated attic. (Google 'attic encapsulation' for an explanation.)

This week I have had two guys doing interior demolition - removing interior doors, mirrors, plantation shutters, toilets, drywall walls and ceilings, wood panelling, etc. For the first time in over 50 years I can see from one end of the house to the other. There is more interior demolition to do before we start taking the roof off and putting everything back new.

5. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Sounds good Bruce, would be interested in seeing the development if you're willing to share.

6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Will do. Not much to show at the moment. I will start the thread when we finish the interior demo. I think the photos of taking off the roof and ceiling joists will be interesting.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Would be a lot more interesting and educational than the rants about McDo's not hiring threads. Just sayin...

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm sure you know this Hobo but add lots of wall braces before taking out too many joists or rafters.

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

lol

Draft saved Draft deleted