$1000 Dime Bag - Edge Check Only?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by TexAg, Mar 2, 2018.

1. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

A week ago my branch manager said an elderly lady came in and dumped cents, dimes, and quarters. I bought all 3 bags and did well with the $100 cent bag (65 Wheaties). This week, I've been painstakingly going through the dime bag looking at every date for lower than normal mintage coins as well as silver. I've spent ALOT of hours doing this and about 40% through the bag I have found (1) 1957 silver, (12) 2009-D, & (1) 2009-P among a few other "keepers". Since my Dansco album is full from 1965 and forward with nice specimens (I've been upgrading for about a year), and my backup Littleton and Whitman folders are also full and upgraded, I'm ready to just edge check the other roughly 6,000 coins for silver. I'm curious what the regular "high volume" dime searchers (boxed or bagged) do, edge check or look at every coin? Same question for the $1000 quarter bag? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

When I searched dimes regularly, I only searched edges. Dimes are too small for my eyes to want to stare at for any length of time.

dwhiz, TexAg and Kentucky like this.
  4. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I look at every coin, but i also don't do 1000 at a time. I have the dates written down somewhere on what to check. Apparently there is a really apparent 2004 dime error, but still waiting to find one of any variety/error.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You can miss an off center coin that way. But whatever.

TexAg likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Ya gotta look at the coin, obverse and reverse otherwise you might miss something.

TexAg likes this.
  7. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

It’s all on your preference. I try to balance speed with what will I miss if I go any faster. Your choice. Sometimes you tear into a box and you just want to get it over with.

TexAg likes this.
  8. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I ended up edge checking the remaining 60%. BUT, I did check out further a lot of older looking (dirty) edges. So I probably looked at 30% of the 60%. It did speed things up and I found 2 more 2009-P and a few slightly off centered coins. I also found 4 more silvers which made it worthwhile (I think, :meh:). The 53-S was a hole filler in my Dansco and the 64-D I estimated at AU55. :cat: The quarter bag is next!
    Dimes Obverse.jpg Dimes Reverse.jpg 1964-D AU Dime Obv.jpg 1964-D AU Dime Rev.jpg

Bambam8778, ace71499 and calishield like this.
  9. Nice dimes, I found next to a coin counter at a supermarket, 2 silver dimes. one a 1915 no mint mark and a 1940 S, both in good shape I will post them next time.

NOS and TexAg like this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I never get any 2009 dimes. I do mean never

11. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Wow, I feel your pain Cheech! I have found nearly a whole tube of them, mostly Denver mint coins. Seems like I have found more than usual lately. You'll find them CRH, keep trying!

Draft saved Draft deleted