100+ year old gold coins unable to sell for melt?!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gam3rBlake, Dec 3, 2020.

1. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I haven't bought any Libs or Saints in about 15 years, but back then I was paying about 2% over spot for XF-AU, sometimes even for 1870s dated common Libs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

He was selling to the wrong market. I could sell the whole lot in an hour at melt. A few minutes at below melt. And probably a bit longer above melt

jwitten and HoledandCreative like this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Very true, most people are only interested in buying gold when it is high and has been going up recently. When it is low or stagnent they have little interest. The saying is Buy low and sell high, but in real life most people buy high.

medoraman and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yup. The number of participants here skyrockets AFTER pm goes up. I tell everyone to be calm right now, start slowly, but do not forget it. Your best purchases are when the market cools, premiums and price come down, and you can buy at your leisure.

Few do this, but its the best way IMHO. Slow accumulation over the years.

johnyb and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

So, I have a question. First the basic assumption. "They get sold for melt". I ask because I've been wondering for some time now.

Q: Does anyone or any company track these for population tracking? Or is it a basic assumption by the TPG's on existing populations?

I think I know the answer and looking for input. As far as the OP's questions. I would think in these times of Pandemic, maybe folks just don't want to tie $1000's on a single coin. Plus, most articles I've been reading lately continue to predict silver will out perform gold in value gains. IMO.

7. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

YouTuber Mark Dice couldn't give it away (10 oz. silver bar), offering people on the street a free chocolate bar or a free silver bar - a revealing social experiment :rolleyes:
    Trying to sell a gold Eagle coin for $25 had the same results - the average Joe is leery of precious metals or just ignorant of the value...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Mainebill and PassthePuck like this.
  8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

GDJMSP, I agree with you! "Follow the bouncing ball" It's been bouncing for centuries... Thank you for the post, GD's response, and my opinion.

9. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

well, IMHO, never buy a gold coin if it hasn't been graded. Did I mention...NEVER! Too much counterfeit out there and I also recommend NEVER buy any gold coins that don't have an MS69 or MS70! Why? Because of the resale value. Yes, it's gold, but it would be worth a lot more if it had a higher rating! For me, I ONLY buy coins that have a High MS rating. The only other exception, IMHO, are coins with low MS ratings that are of the late 1700s. I would love to have one of those. Maybe my Secret Santa this year will send me a coin from the late 1700s! Keeping my fingers crossed!

10. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

The Law of Supply and Demand. Large quantities of common U.S. gold have come out of Europe in recent years because of the (relatively) high price of gold. Supply exceeds demand. I remember buying a harshly cleaned $20 Saint for melt at the 1983 ANA convention. Stuck it in a bezel and wore it as a necklace for a few years. Then demand went up and I sold it for a $200 profit.

11. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

From an economics perspective, this is putting the cart before the horse. The reason the price is low is because there is little interest. The reason the price is high is because there is great interest. Of course, the price of gold is influenced much, much more by forces beyond collecting, but these other factors drive the interest in buying at melt.

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

The middle eastern counterfeits you’d be fine buying at melt as the fineness is the same

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And just because they say they are selling them "for melt" doesn't mean they are going to get melted. It means selling them for the value of the metal, no additional premium.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are numerous specialty books on US gold coins that list known census numbers, (how many actually still exist), for date/mint. And many articles on the same subject have been written as well over the years.

But as a general rule anyone/everyone who knows the coin market knows what the common coins are and what ones are scarce.

Anyone can look up the current TPG populations on the TPG websites, and doing that will give you a rough idea, (say within a 20-30% margin of error), of how many of each date/mint still exist.

15. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I get where everyone is coming from.

Im just saying in my heart, as a coin collector, it hurts to see 100+ year old coins treated as bullion.

Im not saying it’s illogical or wrong. I’m just saying It’s sad to me.

16. medoraman

I flip it around.

Take a 1907 Eagle. Maybe an equivalent coin is a 1907 half dollar. What is an average BU half dollar going for, couple hundred? The Eagle, by rights, should be about similar. Instead, because its roughly a half ounce of gold, goes for more like $900. EVERY precious metal coin at some point is only worth melt, and at other points are worth a premium to melt. Back when silver was $5 an ounce, every barber coin was a premium because of collectibility pressure. When silver as over $40 every worn barber, (not key dates), was melt. Same with gold. Common gold eagles were at a premium when gold was $275, at $1800 they are melt.

Two different groups, two different demands, are intersecting. One is coin collectors, the other bullion people. Bullion people will always value at bullion, but coin collectors will have a more traditional demand curve, buying more at lower prices, less at higher.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's just it, they weren't at a premium when gold was at $275-$300 - common date gold sold at melt even then. It always has and historical price records verify it. And those records are easily found in the books and articles I mentioned above.

That said, there were some few examples that had a small bit of numismatic value when gold was that low, and as gold went up that numismatic value was eclipsed. But those exceptions were quite few in number.

18. medoraman

We can agree to disagree on the point, (I remember dealers wanting premiums on all old gold at those price levels where I lived), but the main point being at low enough PM prices ALL coins start to carry premiums due to collector demand, and at high enough PM MOST PM coins lose their premium due to demand being only from bullion buyers at that market price. In between, where we live most of the time, is when things get dicier, the two markets interacting. I think it makes it easier to understand the market if you remember what happens in the extremes.

19. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

He could easily sell those gold coins for above melt on most coin forums. The story does not add up, by the way. He only sold one coin, but has a $3,000 minimum. Well, one coin is less than $3,000. Why would you have a minimum if you are selling at melt anyways? Sorry, I don't buy this video.

20. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Thanks. I was thinking the same margin range, so that helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted