100 Francs - Charle Magne 1990

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Leon R, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Leon R

Leon R New Member

My favorite coin in my possession by far! I am in love with the front design of this pretty recent french coin. Very clean and bright. Feel free to let me know what you think about it or if you have any interesting information to share.

Attached Files:

chrisild, J.A.K., Dave M and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

I don't have any further information about it, but I think it's really great!
    Thanks for posting it.
    -L

4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

SANTA!!!!

Leon R likes this.
  5. Leon R

Leon R New Member

That might be who I got that coin from ;) haha

rooman9 likes this.
  6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That coin was issued in 1990 as the first part of a (loose) series featuring important Europeans. On the other side, below the face value, you see his "signature": KAROLVS - the square in the center works as an A (upper half), as an O (entire square) and as a V/U (lower half).

That sig was also used on some of his coins, such as this denier for example. Mintage of the coin you show us was 5 million; it came in this version and six other (more expensive) ones.

Here is another Charlemagne coin (this time in a Heads of State series), from 2011. The irregular shape and somewhat uneven surface were designed on purpose. :)

Christian

charlem.jpg

Leon R likes this.
  7. Leon R

Leon R New Member

Thank you Christian, very helpful! I am still wondering what those numbers (768 and 814) mean. They appear on both your coin and mine. Do you know what they are?

8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

According to Wikipedia, Charlemagne was "King of the Francs" from 768-814.

Leon R likes this.
  9. Leon R

Leon R New Member

Got it!

Draft saved Draft deleted