100 dollar coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Andy, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

While skimming the internet looking at nonforum coin related sites I came across some information I found interesting.
    I am sure most of you know about it but it was news to me. George Morgan had designed a 100 dollar coin called the 100 dollar Union. Does anyone have indepth knowledge of the once proposed coin and if a United States meant for circulation mint coin ever was minted past or modern, would you use them,modern, as well as collect them, past?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

all I really know is that the $50 gold was going to be the half-union and the $100 gold the union

4. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

I've seen pictures of patterns for 50 dollar gold coins, but they never made it to production. Not for circulation anyway; the 1915 Panamerican commemorative has a face value of 50 dollars (both the round and octagonal) as do the 1 oz. american gold eagle and 1/2 oz. american platinum eagle.

The only US 100 dollar coin that actually made it to production (obviously not meant for circulation though) is the 1 oz. American Platinum Eagle. It has the highest denomination ever put on a US coin.

As to your original coin, I've never even seen a picture of a pattern of it. Would be interesting if anybody knew of one. It would be difficult to collect as patterns are rare (few made, most destroyed), highly demanded, and thus extremely expensive. If enough were actually produced and was in the realm of affordibility, of course I'd collect them lol, but that's a lot of if's.

If a 100 dollar coin existed (worth about its face value; wouldn't spend platinum eagles lol) I don't think I'd find much use for it, I rarely use any bills bigger than $20 unless I have to make large cash purchases. In fact I use my debit card more often than actual cash. I don't think I'd find it especially useful as a circulating coin, for the same reason I don't like using $100 bills; too much worrying about theft and the fact it's hard to find someone who can break it if I'm not spend all of that money at once.

I like the series of reverse designs on the proof platinum eagles, but the 1 ounce are a bit out of my price range. If money were no object I'd collect them certainltly. They've run two series so far; the eagle over various climates in the US (1998 to 2002) and the branches of government (2006 to present; 2008 will be the last in that series). 1997 uses the same reverse that the uncirculated still uses, 2003 to 2005 use other eagle designs. Maybe I could do the 1/10 ounce some day. I wish they'd apply the new reverse design every year concept to the gold and silver, it's a great idea and makes for fun collecting.

5. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

That's interesting...I didn't know that. Back in George Morgan's time $100 was big money...if they had been released to circulation, well, they wouldn't have circulated very much.

6. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

all through history, the larger notes had more circulation then smaller notes, mainly from bank to bank transffers which happened very frequently .. today would be a different matter, but in Morgans time, i am sure a $100 coin would have found its niche!!

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, they were struck in 2005 at a private mint based on the original drawings made by Morgan. The gold version can be seen - $100 Gold - and the silver version - Silver obv - Silver rev

8. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Thanks GDJMSP, those coins look cool ...although it failed to load the gold for me ...

9. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Good point.
    If they were struck I would think based upon your point there would be alot of high grades for collecting then. Wonder what they would have gone for?

Thanks for the lead GD, I will go take a look.

Draft saved Draft deleted