$100 counterfeit today at work

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by kSigSteve, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

It also should have red and green fibers imbedded in the paper. But don't always bank on that for counterfeit detection. Because some will wash a $5 note and print $100 on it. Even a pen won't help here.. It will have a strip and the fibers. If it doesn't have them, it's for sure not real.

kSigSteve likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

This.

4. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Do people counterfeit the new $100 series with the extra security features?

5. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

The bottom edge looks torn, not a crisp cut like the other edges. Why would a counterfeiter do something that obvious?

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

And on top of that, the first letter in the serial should correspond to the series, and it doesn't. C is for Series 2001; Series 2003 should be D.

silentnviolent likes this.
  7. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

:eek: Those are scary fakes. That $100 would fool most people.

Paul M. and kSigSteve like this.
  8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I got a counterfeit $100 back in the fall of 2008 just before going overseas. I got it at a bank and caught it because the ink just didn't look right. Holding it up to the light I saw Lincoln in the watermark, dead giveaway. I handed it back to the teller - she insisted it was real and proceeded to start slashing at it with that perfidious pen. Of course it passed the pen test! She kept insisting it was a good note, but I said that Lincoln is note in the WM area of a $100 bill. I finally had to call the branch manager over and she had her take the note back. The crux of it is that she should have just shut up and taken it back. She had bought it from another teller that morning - I would imagine she got a talking to after I left.

NOS and kSigSteve like this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

When I was a teen working in fast foods our boss showed us a "$10 bill" one of us had accepted that was in fact a $1 bill with the corners of a $10 bill pasted on it. It was probably passed in the lunch hour, when we were real busy. You look only to those corners when you're busy, and the quick-change scammers know it. That's what the FBI told our boss.

Paul M., NOS, kSigSteve and 1 other person like this.
  10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Back in the small head era of our currency I wouldn't be surprised if many people had tried to pass off the Japanese Invasion Money that was circulated in the Philippines during WWII. It was very similar in layout and with numeraled corners like US money.

kSigSteve and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  11. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Thanks for the comments to all.

12. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

I've always wanted a counterfeit note for my collection... is that weird? I saw a counterfeit $10 a few months ago and it looked good at first glance which is probably what they aim for but when looked at it again you can see the printing wasn't all that sharp...

13. DeodatusAlp2002

DeodatusAlp2002 Lowball glory!

Man, that definitely sucks. $100 down the drain.

14. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Bad counterfeit came through today. Very glad my cashier caught it. Usually bills below $20 easily slip through the cracks but not this one! Likely due to how terrible of a copy it is.

Failed pen test.
    No watermark.
    No security strip.
    Not printed on textured paper.
    Now off to the secret service.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Wow and two more today. Tis the season.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

17. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Those $20s would fool many people. The fifty...not so much, due to how overly cartoonish it looks.

18. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Counterfeit $10
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah there are a ton of counterfeit bills in circulation. I came across a $5 bill a month ago, it was in poor condition. The feel of the paper was a dead give away. If it was in good condition I would have kept it.

20. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Got hit by another counterfeit. This was as high quality as the $100 I received last year. It has a water mark and strip. We caught it because the strip didn't glow yellow. Also the paper not textured was a dead give away.

Also it's a repeater and we know that is too good to be true. :yawn::joyful:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Paul M. likes this.
  21. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

A super repeater, what a joker. Perhaps this counterfeiter was trying to scam collectors? Which would be stupid actually since collectors know better than most.

Paul M. and kSigSteve like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted