$100 counterfeit today at work

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by kSigSteve, Oct 13, 2015.

1. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Hey CT,

Thought this would make for a fun thread. I read a lot on here about counterfeits but never hear of any bills. Today I had a customer pay with this and unfortunately we accepted it. The bank caught it which resulted in $100 loss for us but always a great lesson learned.

This bill in particular didn't raise any red flags at the restaurant level. It passed our pen test and visual inspection.

The bill also had an embedded security strip stating USA 100. The bill also had the ghost face to the right. At the bank I was able to view two of the same bill (old style $100). A few signs that stood out; the security strip was much thinner and had a blury look to the font. The lips of Franklin also appeared sort of "stitched" and not crisp lines.

This is only our second of the year. The first one we caught during payment, it was a $50 poorly put together. If you did not know all counterfeit bills are to be reported to the Secret Service using form SSF 1604.

Post your counterfeit bills or a story related to an encounter with one you may have had.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Coinwoman, CoinZone, Paul M. and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

What did the paper feel like?

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

It felt crisp to the touch but not "thick." The crispness should have been a red flag. Moving too fast during lunch. :/

Paul M. and Endeavor like this.
  6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I had a couple counterfeit bills come through the bank when I was working there. I could see how they would pass the "I'm too busy to really look at it" eye test...but they were definitely not even close paper-wise. That's how I found them.

Coinwoman and kSigSteve like this.
  7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Glad you mention the feel. The $50 we received earlier this year was so awful and the paper quality was nothing close. I only have a photo of the obverse. You can also see that the security strip was inserted and painted over. :D
    image.png

Coinwoman and Endeavor like this.
  8. Lawton Paseka

Lawton Paseka New Member

I just sold all of my stock in the Counterfeit Detector Pen Company of America.

Thanks for sharing!

9. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Those pens are freaking expensive! You don't want to know the punishment for using those pens to write on regular paper.

Endeavor and HunterOhlsen like this.
  10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Your people still rely on a counterfeit detector pen?
    [​IMG]

11. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Company standards. Damn them eh,

I run a restaurant, most still use counterfeit pens. It's not like I am a bank vault manager because that would be absurd.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a case for our very own Numis-hero, @Kirkuleez

13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Did it have the raised ink ? Or color shifting ink ? Still it probably would have fooled me .

kSigSteve likes this.
  14. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I am not sure if this series year used the color shifting ink. The print was also not raised which I hear is another sign.

15. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I've caught many through the years. A quick test for that note is to gently scratch the lapel with a fingernail. You can feel the ridges in the ink if it is good.. Also tilt the bill back and forth in the light. The 100 in the bottom right corner will turn from green to black on a good note.

kSigSteve likes this.
  16. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

So what does work for accurate detection?

17. rickmp

Look at the serial and FRB letters and numbers on the OPs C-note.

Capture.JPG

Dollarsavr and kSigSteve like this.
  18. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

First introduced with Series 1996, color shifting ink refers to the green "100" on the lower right corner. The color will change from green to some variation of yellow when the note is shifted , at least on authentic notes.

Endeavor and kSigSteve like this.
  19. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Good info. Thanks,

20. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Sorry, what am I missing.

21. rickmp

The second letter in the serial # should match the FRB letter. Right? I may be wrong, though. And the A doesn't match the 4.

George McClellan and Dollarsavr like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted