$100 Bill Not Accepted At Local Retail Place

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by GoldFinger1969, Apr 19, 2022.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I noticed that Harris-Teeter has silently dropped their scan guarantee. Previously, if an item scanned at too high a price, you got the first one free, and any others at the correct price. Now they only refund the difference. Bugs the heck out of me, not because I want to stick it to the store, but because without that their only motivation to fix the issue is state inspections, which are few and far between. And it does seem like I'm getting overcharged more frequently now.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Haha, like you said, the register tells the cashier the change. The change comes up $9.95. Try giving the cashier a Nickel to get a tenn Dollar bill back and you can only laugh at the expression on their face because they don’t know what to do with that Nickel. It’s hysterical!

Stevearino and Heavymetal like this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I've seen signs on convenience store windows that state, they cannot accept large bills after certain hours, I don't blame them!

5. -jeffB

The self-checkouts at Walmart and Harris-Teeter still take $100 bills, so I use those to break them for $20s.

The beer store turned me down for a $100 once, but it was just because they didn't have enough twenties in the till to make change for it.

Heavymetal and AdamL like this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I’ve seen signs at fast food restaurants and such say they also won’t accept $50 bills.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

That does not sound like just a lack of math knowledge. Walmart makes a point of hiring people with disabilities, which I consider a good thing. Some are obvious, such as the person with a missing limb. Others are subtle and invisible. There are normally intelligent people whose brains simply cannot handle one specific area, often involving numbers. For most tasks at that post the person may have been quite capable but disabled when faced with that seemingly simple task. The result may have been a panic attack.

Hookman and John Skelton like this.
  8. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I know that and always take that into consideration. This person didn't have a cognitive disability, just an educational one.

9. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I've seen the gas station/convenience store near my house too low on change to take $100 bill. Once it was for a guy in front of me in line who didn't have any other way to pay. He turned around and we recognized each other. Old friends from years ago. Gave him a hug and made change for his $100 myself.

If I need to break $100 I go to that same store and just buy gas. With the cost of it now, they don't need to give me much change back out of $100 bill when I fuel up.

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I used to see "no $100 bills" all the time. Mostly smaller and convenience stores. We used to have many blackouts and during those times Cash was King (and the only method of payment). So I have always collected $20s and $50s for those no power days.

11. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Same deal with Kroger. It was always the official policy but most of the time you'd have to make a point of it, and they'd comply. No longer policy, apparently.

Probably led to too many losses, though the habit of some late-night "customers" who just waltz out of the store with armloads of mdse doesn't seem to bother them too much.

(Then again, they've cut their closing time back from midnight to 11pm so who knows.)

Agree that people can no longer calculate change. It requires, you know, like math and stuff.

12. -jeffB

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Put me in a noisy store with someone talking at me, and I'll typically lose count around 14 or 15. Especially if the tally is on a scrolling screen that only shows 12 lines at a time (typical for self-checkouts), and jump-scrolls up or down.

The last time it happened was within the past week. I was scanning 17 boxes of cereal, and around the twelfth the scanner thought I might have put something in the bag without scanning it. Counting the number on the screen was agonizing.

John Skelton likes this.
  13. -jeffB

Heh.

upload_2022-4-19_13-1-49.png

Click on the link, and you land here:

upload_2022-4-19_13-2-48.png

Edit: but they do still state it's their policy, at the bottom of this page. I'll hold their feet to the fire on it next time.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

People go to discount stores like Walmart looking for better deals than going to even a mid range store. To make those discounts, stores like Walmart reduce the amount they will allow for salaries. That is great ...if one can add and subtract themselves, they can allow where they gain and brought to notice where they lose. If anyone doesn't like the situation, they should alter their shopping routine.
    Education often gets a bum comment because many older people didn't learn about computers , phones with internet access, paying bills by electronic means, doing their own tax returns and e-filing, etc. , etc.
    Yes some states ( who are deep asleep on modern education) still think they just have to learn reading,riting, and rithmatik, and do manual work or join the armed forces. The world has changed during the last generation in case many did not notice :) Last night I read of an interface that links an artificial arm to the human brain ( brain waves) of the person with the disability. It is just the beginning.
    Jim

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

What does a $100 bill look like? I forget.

16. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Something like this?
    [​IMG]

Looks like they also offer them in rolls now
    [​IMG]

17. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I learned a very long time ago. I only get $20.00 any time I go to the bank. I only get some $100.00 for exceptional occasions. Since I sometimes go to garage sales many will not take large bills now if you get a bad $100.00 and do not catch it. It's yours and you can get in trouble if you don't notice it right off. Today some people clean one-dollar bills for the paper and then print a higher denomination to pass on to others. Always look to see the strip by looking in a bright light where you're at. Feel the paper to feel how it feels. I have given back many of such when at the bank or stores at the time.

18. Nyatii

I understand what you are saying, however, it wasn't noisy and took place several times over several minutes. She just couldn't count but seemed to be well-spoken. I tried to help but she refused so I stood there until she went to get a manager. That's when went ahead and scanned the items. I've seen it many times over the last few years. People that can't count or make change.

19. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Just curious, why was she helping you? You were capable enough, apparently, to scan the items yourself. Did she just jump in to do it for you?

20. Nyatii

Yes, she did. It used to be you could scan once and put in how many multiples you had of that item. When I asked her she stated they never did that, which I knew was false. She then insisted on scanning rather than letting me. Rather than argue with her I just let her scan away.

21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

CASE 1: I've noticed on several occasions, women that bring a hand calculator to the store to tally up their purchases. When their purchases are scanned, they compare the totals. However, it gets complicated with sales taxes. Food is 2% and other purchases are 7%. To verify the taxes, they would have to keep up with groceries separate than other purchases. In our state, soft drink purchases are not considered food. When the change of tax rates first came up, sales taxes on Pepsis, and other soft drinks, we paid 2%. Our state legislators, in their infinite wisdom, decided that soft drinks and other beverages were a luxury and 7% should be charged.
    CASE 2: When I went to school, we were taught how to make change in First Grade. However, it seems to be a lost art, like writing in cursive (another problem..I can't spell.) Many businesses today have cash registers that scan your purchases and when cash is paid, it tells the employee how much of each denomination is to be given in return. (I like the story above telling how the change to be given is $9.95, and the patron offers to give the employee a nickel so the cashier would give a $10 bill in return.)
    My wife was a High School English Teacher for over 30 years. She told me that her students were "dumb as dirt" when it came to total up their grades.
    My wife used to get upset with me when we would go to a McDonald's and I could tally up the amount due, what the change should be, and how many of each denomination I was to receive in change. I retired 10 years ago as a CPA working for the state. I had fun doing it, but cashiers aren't the only ones unable to give change. I have more stories that I got from the people I did work for. Even many CPA's can't count. They use H & R Block to do taxes (so do I).

longshot and Nyatii like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted