$100 bags of Kennedy halves on sale now

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dynoking, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

For those who are interested, $100 bags of circulation strike P & D Kennedy half dollar coins are on sale now from the US Mint.

Happy collecting!

SPC CENTS likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Got my "two day" warning today from the Mint by email. I have the Kennedy bag on "enrollment".

Dynoking likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Got me 1 each of '17s and '18s this morning. My order has been confirmed.

Dynoking likes this.
  5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

At face value?

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

200 coin bag for $139.95 (Unless members get a discount on that.)
    How can they sell face value money at a premium? Who thought up this scam,
    because they are NIFC? Can you get 2 or 3 very high grade coins in a bag (68?)
    to make this deal worthwhile and dump the rest at face value?

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Probably not.

Michael K likes this.
  8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

And $139.95 is a sale value? They used to sell $250 bags of dollars at face value.

9. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

One of our members used to do exactly that, then sell them on the 'net managing to turn a profit. I can't remember, if it was the same member who found a valuable lamination error in a bag one year.

Michael K likes this.
  10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Does that include shipping?

11. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

They had to quit providing bulk coins to the public at face value because people were ordering them to churn reward points from credit cards. They would order about the amount they could fit on a dolly. Then take them straight to the bank. It created some serious logistic problems.

alk1129 likes this.
  12. rickmp

Nope.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

It does if you have it on enrollment.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Not trolling. What do you do with 200 NIFC Kennedy 2018 halves?
    I could see keeping 2 for a collection.

15. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Some people save them because they think they'll be worth something more than $0.50 someday. Personally, I don't; not even the 1987's and other low mintages, etc.

I don't buy bags, but I don't save any more than one for my Harris album.

Michael K likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Okay, first, I carefully open the bag with a minimum of coin movement. I then set up four "zones" on my desk: Denver Nice, Denver Meh, Philly Nice, and Philly Meh (which is admittedly redundant). I then take out each coin from the bag and do a quick sort into the four zones. The two piles of Meh coins get tubed up into plastic tubes, for now.

The really nice ones then get a VERY close going over. I usually can find serious MS67 and MS68 candidates, and even some PL designation worthy pieces, at least from Denver. I have done so with some regularity on 67's and PL's. I've only found one MS68 in three years.

I take the Meh coins, about half P and half D, with me to all major coin shows I attend, and use them as handouts to kids I see that have an interest in coins, and I add one to any tips I pay to anyone near the show. I have flips and little cards with me, pre-printed to promote the show. The little card goes in the other half of the flip from the Kennedy.

I haven't come up "in the red" on the system yet. I take my responsibility to "grow the hobby" VERY seriously. Unlike many, I'm not all, "ME, ME, ME", and I need to feed the youngsters with curiosity.

The nice, but not slab-worthy, ones slowly get fed into coin club auctions. The slab-worthy go to NGC.

I've become convinced that the "Internet Division" of the coin hobby is VERY sadly missing out on some of this hobby's best stuff. The "Coin Show Attending Division" is where it's at, for me. Unless you do major shows, you can never really grasp what motivates me in this hobby.

I just checked my latest update on "App In The Air". Since just four years ago, March 2014, I have flown 22,102 miles, 64 air hours, attending major coin shows, predominantly ANA shows, but some others. And if you add Amtrak miles, hours, and meals, it's far more.

And sometimes, I take detours to meet great people like @Santinidollar and @Kirkuleez.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    NLL, Rassi, Michael K and 2 others like this.
  17. rickmp

My order shipped today.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Yup, mine too. Got the email this morning. You lost NO time. I'm on enrollment.

19. rickmp

I made the decision when the notification came in my email. I'll see how these two bags go. If I get a few good ones, I may go on enrollment for next year.

20. rickmp

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If you get two 68s in a bag you would have done better using that luck on a powerball ticket. Some dates don't even have two 68s and some actually have none and thats for dates that happened very recently

Draft saved Draft deleted