100,000 yen

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Kentucky, May 2, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have looked, at one time or another, for information on a coin my mother-in-law got for me at the Bank of Japan (nice lady). Very interesting coin, and with the exception of a couple of 2-peso pieces, my only gold. Anyone else have one or more of these, or know any more about the story? I think they were HEAVILY counterfeited. yen again.jpg yen.jpg

chrsmat71, longnine009 and Mikey Zee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Kentucky and chrsmat71 like this.
  4. Kentucky

I saw that one, looking for anything else.

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Not too sure what other information you are looking for but if you are concerned that what you have is counterfeit, I don't think it is one of them.

Essentially it was the banks that got hit hard as they didn't know what they were looking at. Once they were redeemed at the bank, they were never to be resold to the public, so I don't think any counterfeits were intentionally sold to the public. The public in general rarely bought gold off from private individuals so I don't believe the counterfeits are as bad as one would imagine.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Just wondering if they ever found out if it was some outfit or organization that did the counterfeiting. Mine is from the Bank of Japan, although I don't have any paperwork. My mother-in-law bought it.

7. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

At $1250 an ounce, the intrinsic value is $800.
    At 107 yen per dollar, the face value is $935.

8. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

IIRC back in 1986-1987 the price of gold was in the $400ish and whatever the yen/dollar exhange rate was, the coins had around 40,000 yen in gold value. However, the government sold them at face value, a good source of income...

Here is a follow up article, and I can't remember how/if it was resolved. Kind of sounds like civil forfeiture. Seized on suspicion and kept even in the absence of a prosecution, or even a crime. Well, at least without knowing the outcome.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/05/20/b...n-in-the-case-of-the-chrysanthemum-coins.html

9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I can't figure the edit function on my tablet...so here is what I wanted to add to the above:

According to the British dealer site Chard/TaxFreeGold, though there does not appear to be a formal announcement (which would be in keeping with a face saving settlement), it does appear as though the British dealer was reimbursed his funds.

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/japanchrysanthemumcoinsaffair.html

So, maybe not such a major counterfeiting scheme after all? Though it was a plausible idea.

Edited to add (must be a time out feature here), in answer to the OP question, I do have a proof one.

10. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Interesting piece. Thanks for posting. You got a nice mother in law by the way

11. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Very cool. 1986 in honor of the Showa Emperor's 60 years of rule 100,000 Yen coin. Thanks for the picture - please post more Japanese coins!

天皇陛下(Ten-No Hei-Ka, His majesty the Emperor) 御在位 (Go-Zai-I, years of rule)六十年(Roku-Jyu Nen, 60 years) 記念 (Ki-Nen, Commemoration) 硬貨(Kou-Ka, Coin).

Draft saved Draft deleted