$.10 Year 1975 Dime No S Mark, Rare (?) Lincoln Pennies, More. Insight Into My Dad's Collection?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kyleacts, Feb 2, 2022.

1. kyleacts

kyleacts New Member

Hey all,

My father has collected many things, coins among them. He's not quite sure what he has. Hoping some of y'all can help.

Images attached. CLOSEUP IMAGE GALLERY: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lDj65qQXvszpSH9CysOrXwHFCbiNz09_?usp=sharing

He has many collectibles and has decided to begin moving them all. We're first looking for insight into US coin values and where to sell these. He's been confused with coins, finding [seemingly] conflicting values in his research.

We do have some testers available: Sigma Metalytics Pro Mini, 0.001g scale, Pocket Pinger w/ coin frequency app, but not all coin compositions can be verified with them.

Any insights appreciated. Thank you!

coins1.jpg coins4.jpg coins3.jpg coins2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The 1975 San Francisco missing the S mintmark was a proof struck coin. The coin you are showing is a Philly business strike. Also many members here will not click on unknown links for fear of computer virus.

GH#75, Mountain Man, Danomite and 3 others like this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I would think that your dad's best bet would be to find a local coin shop and take them in to be evaluated. From a quick glance, I'd say most of your dad's coins are just pocket change, worth face value. The silver dollars may be worth more or at least silver melt price. Good luck.

As mentioned, many members here aren't going to click on an unknown link, so won't see the coins.

5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Appreciate you taking the time to get that far for a new member, but I have to be honest, no way to tell which obverse goes with which reverse the way the file is. from the pictures, I see a pretty basic coin accumulation, nothing really stand out in the bunch.

the morgan and peace dollars are 90% silver, they could be checked for VAMs with good Obverse and reverse pictures but not with these pictures,
    dimes dated before 1964 are 90% silver,
    the quarters before 1964 are 90% silver,
    a couple of the nickels look to be the war time 35% silver ones.

the older than lincoln cents, cents... I have no idea about, many look damaged though.

for the morgan dollars, the reverse and date pairings matter, the mintmark on each coin matters if there is one. So I can't tell anymore than melt value about those it shows 8 morgan dollar obverses, and 1 morgan reverse. this is why it's best to do 1 coin, picture of obverse and reverse, at a time, so we all know what goes with what.

For this reason I can't do more than tell you what I have told you, I see a coin accumulation, and there isn't much "wow factor" to anything I saw.
    As far as selling it, there's ebay, or even your local we buy gold and silver guys for the silver stuff. maybe a coin shop local to you might want to make an offer if you brought it in.

there's no easy answer with value, but condition really matters, then rarity, and some things can be so rare that condition of the surviving examples doesn't matter much for the pricing. I'm not seeing anything like that from the pictures provided, but I feel like if we went one at a time, obverse and reverse, there might be a diamond in the rough in there somewhere worth a bit more than melt prices.

6. kyleacts

kyleacts New Member

Thank you. I've included the images in the original post now. Much appreciated all.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. kyleacts

kyleacts New Member

Very helpful and noted, John. I will let my father know. Thank you!

8. John Burgess

Just be gentle with him, for collectors, it's a lifes work of saving things up that they treasure. The way I word things, well lets just say, I do it without consideration of feelings, and maybe a bit blunt that might not go over well if said to the collector directly int he same way.:woot:

kyleacts likes this.
  9. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

John, you said the dimes and quarters before 1964 are 90% silver. Shouldn't that be before 1965? Aren't 1964 dimes and quarters silver too!

John Burgess likes this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Pictures aren't the best but your second morgan looks more like 1981 instead of 1881(fake?). Screenshot_20220202-161634_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220202-161634_Chrome.jpg

John Burgess likes this.
  11. kyleacts

kyleacts New Member

It's 1981, apologies, the pictures he sent me are indeed not the best :) Thank you all!

12. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Then the coin is fake and most likely not silver but still a possibility.

13. John Burgess

the smaller picture sure does look like 1981, but opened on Drive, it looks like this.
    Copy of IMG_5599.jpeg

PS, it wasn't easy at all to try to figure out how to get a picture back off of drive..... no sir! but now it's uncompressed and even expandable. actually it's a decent picture when it's not a drive file.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  14. John Burgess

yeah, I should have said before 1965... my bad. we know what I meant but new people to the hobby might not. oops.

15. John Burgess

So since I'm here and doing it, anyone got guesses on this one? Well worn and beat up, yes, but is it identifiable? I mean should be an overton, maybe enough information to figure it out.

Copy of IMG_5644.jpeg Copy of IMG_5645.jpeg

16. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

New people is the only reason I said anything!

Draft saved Draft deleted