10 Pennies Worth Over $100

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Silver Searcher, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Willy-Wampum

Willy-Wampum New Member

I shouldve watch the whole video before assuming folks were cutting down some young collector. You know what they say about Assuming... Thank you for Your Welcome, Idhair... I look forward to sharing knowledge and experience with you all!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We really do have fun here. Some threads get tough for everyone to understand all the different post. Some of us get a bit vocal when wrong information is being passed around. It's crazy but the folks here are great.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First, it's not just one video, but fifteen, maybe twenty now, most containing poor to downright misleading to dangerous misinformation and outlandish claims. It's not going to harm the familiar, but very well could someone new to this hobby who assumes this kid knows of what he speaks. Trust me, this has nothing to do with his (non-existent) enthusiasm for this hobby. If what enthusiasm he possess was for this hobby and not promoting himself and his channel at the hobby's expense, it would be a non issue.

That said, I realize this wasn't in response to me, but kudos to you, sir! Apparently I misjudged you, and for that you have my apologies.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just so ya know Books I really don't disagree with your thoughts regarding the quality or usefulness of these videos. But that's not the issue. The issue is the right of the OP to post them if he wishes to do so.

After all, if we ever got to the point that only so called "quality and meaningful posts" were allowed to be made, well, this would be a pretty lonely place.

silentnviolent and Kentucky like this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Wait... I thought we were only allowed to make snarky, sarcastic comments. ?

fish4uinmd likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

:)

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First, I can promise you I wouldn't be begging for such videos, but that's beside the point. ;)

As for why I don't like them, you're right... it absolutely IS the content, and I would like to think someone who has spent how many years of his life educating others about and promoting this hobby could personally relate to why. The same goes for Chris, who is here day after day, often posting to the same near nauseatingly common threads, not because it's fun but to share what he knows with people who, like it or not, need to hear and are benefited by truth/facts. The Internet is full of garbage to crap information, but it would be nice for those seeking facts to be able to go to a forum populated by many who genuinely care and want to help, without having to navigate through clearly self-serving and not so easily refutable nonsense even if it technically falls within the rules of said forum.

How many times has someone come here and posted the belief that the membership is populated "experts"? Foolish assumption, I know, but there have been a few of such threads in the last couple days where someone has done just that, and what are these people to think when when such misinformation is not only allowed but adamantly defended by the forum administration? It's not at all a stretch to think that someone will regrettably assume the information solid, and sooner or later, if allowed to continue, will somehow be hurt from it. Disagree if you will, sir, but it is my most humble opinion that their "rights" should far outweigh those of someone who refuses to even personally contribute to the very forum he spams with videos. I'm sure, once he realizes this isn't his path to fame and riches, he'll move onto something else like most kids his age, but still.

As for the self-promotion issue, it's certainly your call as to if its to the extent of violating forum rules, and if is doesn't, I most certainly respect that, but this in no way means that's not exactly what he's doing and is to the point it's become undeniable if one has actually taken the time to watch his videos. Let's be honest here... they started out pretty bad, and certainly could've been excused as the result of being an over eager young man wearing pants too big to fit him, but even after the backlash and a number of sincere and thoughtful suggestions, its only gotten worse and now to the point of being potentially harmful to the very new collectors I thought we all (or most anyway) wished to welcome and help into this hobby. Ridiculously claiming to have had all these fantastic finds that just happen to fit perfectly with someone who desires only to draw attention to his channel? Even worse was the pitifully poor information contained in the OP video; no good can come from this unless.. unless silversearcher himself was open reason and willing to learn, but all evidence suggests otherwise. People have been executed on less evidence than we have proving what his true motivations really are.

I, as a lowly member of no standing, can only hope the membership continues to take it upon themselves to warn anyone who may find his videos (here) of what they really are, unless he starts caring about what he posts. The the same logic that allows attacking a coin but not the member should hold true when it comes to any damaging or potentially harmful misinformation contained in videos. I couldn't care less about YouTube or what he posts there, but I do feel that those of us who genuinely care about this hobby (yourself included) owe it to the new to call out such selfish disregard for the health and future of this hobby. They deserve that much.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Like I said, I do not disagree. Nor have I found fault with ANYONE for doing that.

10. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Here's a penny that I think you will all agree on...priceless and PL.

penny 1.png

Mad Stax and LaneyTex1 like this.
  11. LaneyTex1

LaneyTex1 Member

Silver Searcher likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

@LaneyTex1 please read all the comments here about this video!

Draft saved Draft deleted