$10 gold certificate

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by 5dollarEdunote, Feb 5, 2011.

1. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Hello collectors,

I was recently given this note as a gift. I was definitely happy with it, as it was a great note, but I quickly realized that there was a pinhole in it. Because it is not in the main viewing area, it isn't much of a distraction, but the only worry left was its value. How much value does this pinhole take off, and if it didn't have the pinhole, how much would it be worth? I am still learning about grading currency so your help is appreciated.

Thank You! :smile

EDIT: I realize that since these are pretty small photos, and grading in person is always more accurate, its hard to grade so all I need to know is how much value the pinhole takes away.
    IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Look,s ruff would say based on the photos in low VF your pictures of the over all note are
    To small to make a positive grade only using the corners between $65 and $75
    Pinholes would take a little off maybe 5% in this case

4. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Grades around low VF without the pinhole. Some collectors don't like to get notes with pinholes and it can knock it down to the next lower grade. Conservatively I'd say the note is in Fine condition with the pinhole.

5. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I'll take this note at $65-75 all day long every example you can give me - it is easily worth twice this. It looks solid Fine to me, and a F12 of this note will go for $125-$175 on theBay.

I'd keep it, nice, circulated example. The pinhole really doesn't affect the value in this grade, you may get a particular buyer who will balk at it, but for every one the balks you'll get several who don't mind.

7. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

I concur with Mec on this one. My estimate is even higher. You'd be getting ripped off at $65-$75 on this one. Easily $150 - $200 despite the pinhole, because this is the not the most common issue. You have Fr. 1172, not Fr. 1173.

Fine 12 sells for $150 - $180 at auction. Choice Fine 15 can go between $150 to $250 (graded and slabbed of course). If you get a VF20/Net because of the pinhole, it would be comparable to a Choice Fine 15.

8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

This thread is from 2011 in case no one noticed lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted