10 Dollar Indian 1909 D

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rheingold, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Over the years I have seen 2.5 and 5 dollar Indian head gold pieces cut from rings, cuff links ,etc. The bezel they are mounted in does leave a mark. I had at one time a matched pair of 1911 D coins that were enameled coins.
    They were 7 color enameled coins. Very well done. The face was even done in a clear enamel to make the face tone look
    A reddish tone. What really was strange was someone ,and I know not who... damaged each coin reverse right where the mint mark would be . After scoping the two coins one had enough evidence that it was a 1911 D.
    Now an enameled coin is a damaged coin to start with. Widely collected in the UK as well as Europe, more so then here in the U.S.
    The best examples were done early 1800's by the 1930's a lost art. Each coin was etched, and layers of enamel layer to color the coin.
    Somehow no one ever got the art form down to do a Morgan Silver dollar they all looked like a cartoon.
    However crowns, Florins, pence, coins really looked very nice. A Burmese peacock coins were some of the best I've ever seen.
    And even though an enameled coin is damaged these little gems can carry a very pricy value. Check them out e bay most of the time has listings. And I'm sure if you log on to e day UK or CA you'll even find more .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

That's one strange finish. Looks cleaned to me but I am not really a gold coin person.

4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think cleaned. And as to grade I'd go au -50. This ones definitely seen some circulation

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Question. AU-50 is a fairly low WEAR grade and usually denotes an obvious amount of marks. Let's forget the marks (AU Typical) as this coin has very few (AU Choice?). Now, let's give it a "Details" grade and say it is cleaned.

If you had to chose one answer, do you think the coin is closer to Uncirculated or closer to XF. Whether it is cleaned or not does not affect a "details" grade.

A. Closer to Uncirculated.
    B. Closer to Extremely Fine.

I pick A. What do others think?

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I see definite flattening of the hair and the eagles breast. And there's a few marks but not substantial ones. The flattening does not at all appear to be strike. This coin definitely has wear. I was between 45 and 50 myself and gave it the au nod

Draft saved Draft deleted