10 Dollar Indian 1909 D

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rheingold, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Do you think this coin shows original surface quality?
    Whats the possible grade?
    1361_01285a00_c.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

No, wrong color. AU 58 that I should sell at 62 to 63 price.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I am no gold expert so wait for someone that knows a whole lot more than me. But the pictures make that coin look lifeless to me - I see hints of luster, but just something about the color and smooth cheek makes wonder. I would say low AU. Just my swag and I really do not study gold.

Insider likes this.
  5. Insider

IMO, you know more than you let on. "Lifeless" and definite change of color on the wear points - cheek is one as you pointed out.

Now, just saying...coin cannot grad LOW AU because it has little wear (many here won't even see it) and the surfaces are "clean - unmarked" so should be high AU.

Let's forget about whether the surfaces are natural (the marks are the same color of the surrounding surface and not "fresh"). They probably are not - so possible a details grade if slabbed. Let's not open that can :arghh:

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Now if there were a Matte Finish version... which I don't know of.

Insider likes this.
  7. Insider

That would make it a Denver Mint Proof!

8. V. Kurt Bellman

Tee hee. "The very rare and very dangerous..."

Insider likes this.
  9. Rheingold

But at first glance it shows a generous quotient of eye appeal.
    Because of this are you able to sell it for MS62 money, Insider?!

10. V. Kurt Bellman

[​IMG]

Mainebill, Insider and swamp yankee like this.
  11. Rheingold

So I don't think it's a bargain for 750 Dollars.
    Thanks for your help.

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Harshly cleaned to my eye.

13. Insider

m
    Coins like this are sold to the unsuspecting as MS-65's because they look so nice.

I like to do a demonstration for "new" collectors. Show them a 100% original 63 -64 Peace dollar and a polished AU and most of the time they will guess the polished coin is the best and worth the most $$$. Works every time:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::smuggrin:.

Actually that's not funny :shame: but I teach 'em really quick;)

14. Insider

:rolleyes: I was waiting for this from someone and ALMOST wrote in my Post#4 that many here would chime in as PMD and Harshly Cleaned.

You guys can argue about the cleaning...not me:facepalm::muted::dead:

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Look at the stars. CLEANED!
    Look at the hair. XF at best.
    Pass

16. Insider

ALL The "worms" are loose :D:D

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I guess the "cleaning job" wasn't very good :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Looks like they missed some stuff around the STARS :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

PS: Have any XF gold my dealer friends can buy :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this might be imaged on a scanner which would explain the lifelessness of it. But I think I can make out some luster trying to peak out of dullness from the scan. I see some wear marks on the feathers, cheek and hair on the obverse as well as on the eagle on the reverse. I would put it at an AU-53 - AU-55 at most.

18. Paddy54

To my eye you can see this coin at one time was in a bezel. Look at the area of the mm. Gold coins that were jewelry that were placed in bezels will show the wear at the bezel end.

Insider likes this.
  19. Insider

I'll disagree Paddy BUT your observation is an excellent detection method to pass on. In the case of this coin, IMO to get the "bezel pattern" you see due to the discoloration, the bezel would have overlapped too much of the coin and made an ugly piece of jewelry:)

20. Paddy54

You know I know few experts in here..,but like you willing to hear others valid opinions . Would I buy this coin no....not unless it was so cheap I couldn't say no. Even then no matter the price a problem coin is still that a problem to unload when you loose interest.

21. Insider

I agree with you. It should look real good in some jewelry :jawdrop:

Draft saved Draft deleted