10 Dollar Eagle 1898 with mint D mark

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Prafk, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Prafk

Prafk New Member

I have an eagle 10D gold coin with a mint D mark. The D mark is quite clear as shown in picture.
    I have had possession of this coin for almost 25 years.
    From my search the Denver mint was not operational at 1898.
    What is this coin worth and do you think I should get this certified?
    Any opinions are appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

A real $10 gold has 13 stars on the obverse. And it looks more like brass than gold. Yours ain't, sorry. Possibly a spiel-marke, we just had one a day or two ago.

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That crack down the middle of the reverse should have a gold color, I would imagine.

Try getting the weight and comparing that with the weight of a genuine eagle. That, or you can get all Archimedes and check out the water displacement of the coin as compared to that of a genuine one.

5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Waste of time. There's nothing to compare or weigh. Only 10 stars, plus gaps on the reverse = 100% fake, but should be checked in the spiel-marke catalog that someone mentioned this past week.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Bet the weight's way off like everything else on this (token).

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

You have a counterfeit. That streak on the reverse looks like a solder, as if it was attached to something once.

8. Prafk

Prafk New Member

Yes. You all could be right.
    I will check it out. Thanks for taking your valuable time to comment on this.

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

It is an interesting piece OP. Thanks for sharing. I would be interested to hear if this was a known contemporary counterfeit, jewelry piece, or whatever else you find out about it.

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted