10 Coins and One Medal Ancient and Modern: Greek, Roman, Indian, Chinese, German, Bolivian, Israeli

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by John Anthony, Jan 17, 2022.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Hello friends I have a hodgepodge of wonderful coins for sale today - PM me if interested. The price includes tracked shipping within the US. Payment by Paypal (+3.6%), MO, check, or Wise. I have 100% positive feedback on eBay over nine years of sales and I offer a lifetime guarantee of authenticity. Peace and blessings, J.

1. Apameia was an ancient Greek city in Syria. Here is a bronze with the bust of Athena. Athena was originally the tutelary goddess of Athens, but over time she became the foremost female deity of the Greek world. The reverse features Nike, the goddess of Victory carrying emblems of peace. $35 shipped.

Apameia 6.jpg

SELEUKIS AND PIERIA. Apameia on the Axios.
    Æ22, 6.4g, 12; Autonomous issue. 1st century BC.
    Obv.: Head of Athena right, wearing crested Corinthian helmet.
    Rev.: AΠAMEΩN THΣ IEPAΣ KAI AYTONOMOY; Nike advancing left, holding untied wreath and palm; uncertain date.
    Reference: RPC I, 4338.

2. Aretas IV Philopatris ruled over the Nabataean Kingdom from 9 BC to AD 40. “His daughter Phasaelis was married to, and divorced from, Herod Antipas. Herod then married his stepbrother's wife, Herodias. It was opposition to this marriage that led to the beheading of John the Baptist. After he received news of the divorce, Aretas invaded the territory of Herod Antipas and defeated his army” [wiki]

Here’s a small bronze issued during the early years of his reign. $30 shipped

Aretas.jpg

NABATAEA. Aretas IV, 9 BC-AD 40.
    Æ15, 1.7g, 12h; Petra mint.
    Obv.: Laureate head right.
    Rev.: Crossed cornucopias; monogram between.
    Ref.: Meshorer, Nabataea 68.

3. Here’s an instance where coin evidence aided the solution of an historical question. Vima Takto was long known as the “nameless king” of the Kushan Empire, as his known coins displayed the inscription “King of Kings, Great Savior,” without giving a name. The discovery of this type, which links a name with the title, in addition to the Rabatak inscription (discovered in 1993), confirm that Vima Takto was indeed ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΩΝ ΣΩΤΗΡ ΜΕΓΑΣ.

Here's a lovely example of the type, evincing a strong strike, very little wear, clean surfaces, and a pleasing patina. As a bonus, if you collect animals on ancient coins, here’s a rare type with camel! $45 shipped

Kushan.jpg

INDIA. Kushan Empire.
    Vima Takto (also known as 'Soter Megas'). Ca. A.D. 90-112.
    Æ drachm, 17mm, 4.0g, 6h.
    Obv.: Bull standing right with nandipada above; blundered Greek legend around.
    Rev.: Bactrian camel standing right, with monogram to right; Kharoshthi legend Maharajasa Rajadhirajasa Devaputrasa Vima Takha around.
    Reference: MACW ---; Senior B12.1.

4. Here’s a great sestertius of Lucilla, Venus standing. Lucilla was the daughter of Marcus Aurelius, wife of Lucius Verus, and elder sister to Commodus. (If you saw Gladiator, she was portrayed by Connie Nielsen). Sestertii did the heavy lifting of the Roman economy and are frequently very worn, damaged, and encrusted. This example is circulated to Fine, but there’s nothing not to like about it – beautiful forest green patina, nice bust, no damage, and especially important when it comes to circulated bronzes, no tooling! A nice, big, fat coin for show-and-tell. $65 shipped

Lucilla.jpg

Lucilla, AD 164-182
    Æ sestertius, 30mm, 24.3g, 12h; Rome mint.
    Obv.: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F; Draped bust right.
    Rev.: VENVS; Venus standing front, head left, holding apple in extended right hand and vertical scepter in left; S – C
    Ref.: RIC 1763 (Marcus Aurelius).

5. The IOVI CONSERVATORI types are an important part of the history of Christendom, as they were struck immediately after the Edict of Milan (an agreement between Licinius I and Constantine I) which gave Christianity legal status and a reprieve from persecution. Eventually Licinius would renege on the agreement and the empire would be plunged into a civil war from which Constantine would emerge as victor. These coins were struck during the uneasy peace between the cousin kings. Jupiter is the special protector of Roman emperors. $40 shipped

Constantine.jpg

Constantine I, 307/310-337.
    Æ Follis, 25mm, 3.6g, 12h; Thessalonica, 312-13.
    Obv.: IMP C CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG NN; Jupiter standing front, head to left, holding Victory on globe in his right hand and long scepter in his left; at his feet, eagle standing left, head to right and holding wreath in his beak // •TS•Є•
    Ref.: RIC 61b.

6. The same type as above, but issued for Licinius. $40 shipped.

Licinius.jpg

Licinius I, AD 308-324.
    Æ follis, 25mm, 3.4g, 6h; Thessalonica, 312-13.
    Obv.: IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r.,
    Rev.: IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG N N; Jupiter standing front, head to left, holding Victory on globe in his right hand and long scepter in his left; at his feet, eagle standing left, head to right and holding wreath in his beak // •TS•A•
    Ref.: RIC 60.

7. This is a clipped version of the cash coins of Qing emperor Qian Long. The clipping probably occurred in the 19th century, when small inflationary cash were being cast and larger coins needed to be adjusted. The obverse gives the emperor’s name along with the usual statement of legal tender. The reverse is in Manchu, and refers to the Ministry of Revenue Mint. These clipped specimens are quite rare - this is the only one I've come across in years of collecting. $35 shipped.

Qing.jpg

CHINA. Qing Dynasty.
    Qian Long, 1736 – 1795.
    Æ Clipped Cash, 21mm, 2.3g, 12; Beijing mint.
    Obv.: 乾 寶 通 隆 (Qian Long Tong Bao)
    Rev.: ᠪᠣᠣ ᠴᡳᠣᠸᠠᠨ (Boo-choiwan)
    Ref.: Hartill #22.200.
    Ex-Alex Fishman.

8. German Notgeld, or emergency money, was issued by municipalities during and after World War I. Most of it was in the form of banknotes, but it also found expression in tokens, leather, silk, linen, wood, postage stamps, aluminum foil, coal, and porcelain. Just about anything could be used as currency if it was mutually agreed upon.

Notgeld tokens issued during and immediately after WWI were frequently struck from uncommon base metals such as zinc, iron, and aluminum. (They were uncommon only in the striking of coinage, of course, but would become increasingly more utilized throughout the 20th century.) If you’ve ever looked into coins struck from these metals, you’ll know just how corroded and worn they can get. $30 shipped.

Here's a beautiful Notgeld token in zinc – uncirculated, perfect condition. The color of this unusual metal is very cool – a dark, olive green.

Hersfeld.jpg

GERMANY. Notgeld. Hersfeld.
    Zinc 10 pfennig, 23.5mm, 3.2g, 12h; Heinrich Arld GmbH, Nuremberg.
    Obv.: KRIEGSNOTGELD; 10; • ✶ • 1919 • ✶ •
    Rev.: STADT HERSFELD above coat of arms.
    Ref.: Funck #211.11.

9. Nicely-toned modern silver is very attractive, but bronze can occasionally also tone with vibrant colors: purple, gold, and rose. Check out this 50 Centavo piece from Bolivia. Wow! It’s exactly this vibrant in hand. This coin was produced for Bolivia by the US mint in Philadelphia in 1943 but dated 1942. A one-year-only issue. Stunning BU+++ $45 shipped

Bolivia.jpg

BOLIVIA.
    Æ 50 Centavos, 5.1g, 24.6mm, 12h; Philadelphia mint.
    Obv.: REPUBLICA DE BOLIVIA; Emblem of Bolivia: The sun, two mountains (the Cerro Rico and the Cerro Menor), chapel, palm tree, lama.
    Rev.: CINCUENTA CENTAVOS; 50 – C; Caduceus; Olive sprays below // 1942
    Ref.: KM #182a.

10. In 1965 the State of Israel minted a series of medals commemorating various cities, which featured ancient coins that would have circulated in those cities. Avdat is the site of a ruined Nabataean city in the Negev desert. One side of the medal shows the ruins of the Temple of Oboda (dedicated to the deified king Obodas I) and the other features the reverse of a coin of Aretas IV (9 BC – AD 40). These are truly beautiful medals rendered in burnished bronze. 45mm, 39.5g, 12h. $35 shipped

Nab Medal Avdat 6.jpg

Curtisimo, Theodosius and Paddy54 like this.