$1 Treasury Coin

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Squaredeal, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Been a while figured Id post something random.

How many new collectors run into this note and assume its a star note, I know when i saw this note raw and ungraded I thought I had a homerun. FR351 Front 1.JPG FR 351 Back.JPG Alas, they all have stars eh? :p

Attached Files:

funkee and onecenter like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

that is a very fine note you have there. :D

Squaredeal likes this.
  4. onecenter

onecenter Member

Fancy!

5. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I bet that cost you a lot more than a dollar.

Squaredeal likes this.
  6. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Yes, those are frequently mistaken for star replacement notes. Sometimes dealers even advertise them as such--one hopes this is done out of ignorance rather than as a deliberate deception.

For the record: All Series 1869 USNs and all Series 1890 and 1891 Treasury/Coin Notes have this solid star as the serial suffix. The use of a star to designate replacement notes didn't come along until 1910 (though of course it occurs on many notes with series dates before 1910, since some series remained in production for many years).

A wide variety of symbols occurred as serial suffixes (and occasionally prefixes) on large-size notes--see here for more information on these.

chip and Squaredeal like this.
  7. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Gorgeous note. I want it! ;)

Bet you that you're wrong. :cool:

CamaroDMD and Squaredeal like this.
  8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It also looks like the designer/engraver didn't plan ahead and allow enough room for the complete serial number to fit in the space provided. (lower left side)

Squaredeal likes this.
  9. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That is a beautiful note. Thanks for sharing it!!!

11. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

That is a very flat coin if you ask me (re: title of thread).

Seriously...pretty cool.

Squaredeal and coingeek12 like this.
  12. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

LOL :hilarious:

13. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

That's not uncommon with some of the larger issues.

Back then, they did not use leading zeroes, so there wasn't a fixed width for the serial numbers. As more and more notes were produced, the serial number expanded. Check out these two 1917 $2's. Unfortunately the issue is that the star, in the star note is not very visible.

1917_2s.jpg

saltysam-1 likes this.
  14. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Great note..Congrats!!

Quite a few years ago I recall posting a write up on all the symbols used to terminate the Serial Numbers..what a cool research that was...Ahhhh just an after thought when reading this Thread..:)

RickieB

15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I wish I could get a copy of it. It's this type of thing that isn't common knowledge. The effort to pull the information out of various reference materials and condense it into one report, is only pursued by a very few. I wouldn't know where to begin. Is it still around in CoinTalks archive's? I never get that search feature to work properly for me. :>(

16. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

There's a good write-up on symbols in Numbers' post.

17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I'll have to go through his posts more and find it. I went back through a few pages and didn't see anything. I'm going to the Central States Numismatic Show tomorrow and need to call it a day. I'm hoping to find that one note we discussed.

18. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Good luck. Be aggressive off the bat to scare off the "maybe" buyers who'll only drive the price up.

Numbers' link is in this thread.

19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

There were many buyers in competition for my 1928 series. Alas, I'll have to try again. VG and F grades were selling in the high $1,500 to $2,000 range. To show you how unpredictable the auction was, a 10,000 Yuan note from China sold for $199,750. Heritage valued it pre-auction at $8,000 to $10,000. This was not the only note that went out of sight. Another foreign note valued at $7,000 to $8,000 went for $64,000. There were so many bids and different buyers, at one point, the Auctioneer had to take a time out to figure where the bids were actually at.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  20. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Impressive. How much did the 28 sell for ultimately?

21. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

There were about 25 notes in various grades. I was focused on the XF ones. If it appeared to have a noticeable fold, I did not bid. They sold in the $2,200 to $2800 range and AU's in the upper twenties low thirties. The one at $2,200 was in my range but it had a paper wave that stopped me from bidding further. There were only two Gems like yours. If I remember correctly, they sold at $6,000 to $8,000. I didn't write down every price realized. Only those that had my interest. Most sold to floor bidders from this batch, basically three dealers. I say they were dealers because they were buying up a lot of notes. Several in duplicate grades. I think only two went to internet bidders. However, I did relieve my sorrow by going on the bourse and buying a coin I needed.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted