$1 serial number questions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by JmxTwiztid, Sep 26, 2019.

1. JmxTwiztid

JmxTwiztid New Member

Morning!

I've been looking at all my bills for a little while but never found anything good. I heard things like birth year could add to the value. I usually search coins and not paper though so my knowledge is limited on paper currency.

I found a 2013 $1 bill with the serial G20180806G.

Made in Chicago so it's got all Gs on the bill.

My questions are: Do birth years/dates at the beginning of the note still add value, does the triple G add any value?

How much is something like this, ungraded worth to you/or a collector of this type?

Is there a good resource for researching this other than Ebay? Thanks!

20190925_130752.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not really

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's a dollar. Birthday notes (in the US) go month/day/year.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If someone is interested, it may increase the value. The more interest, the more potential worth. Supply and demand. If there's no demand, then one is too many.

6. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

To me, that would be worth $1.
    If the (birthday) year on it is 2018, you would have to wait a while to find a buyer. As for the G's, that's normal. G is the Federal Reserve Bank for Chicago, so the serial number begins with "G". The reason it ends with G is because this is the G-G block. Blocks can theoretically be from G-A to G-Y.
    Block Z is reserved for test notes.
    And, 2013 is very new for a banknote, so that doesn't add interest either.
    And graded or ungraded, I wouldn't pay over face.

7. JmxTwiztid

JmxTwiztid New Member

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a birthday note. Rearrange the numbers to go month, date and year. 02081806 would be February 8th, 1806. Interesting so look it up.

9. JmxTwiztid

JmxTwiztid New Member

Ended up selling for $22.50 on Ebay.

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Still only worth a dollar.
    You can't stop uninformed people from over paying.

11. JmxTwiztid

JmxTwiztid New Member

Was just surprised is all.

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The seller got lucky and found a buyer who thought the date was special. Actually, they must have gotten extremely lucky, because 2 people must have thought it was special to bid it up to $22.50

In general, unless the Birthday bill has a date that's historically significant, such as 17761976, 07041776, 06061944, etc, there is no interest among established collectors or dealers. There's too much work involved in finding somebody who; a) Has a connection with a random date and b) Is looking to purchase a bill with that specific date.

So unless you feel really lucky and hope the right buyer just happens to be looking on ebay, it's not worth saving random birthday bills.

13. JmxTwiztid

JmxTwiztid New Member

I just wanted to let you guys know what happened. I didn't expect it to sell, much less for that much. I appreciate the information.

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I would buy lottery tickets with the money if I were you ;)

Kentucky and UncleScroge like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted