$1 Note Type Set Display

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bobbeth87, May 8, 2012.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

My father passed in March 2009 and I inherited his coin collection. This rekindled my boyhood hobby in a way I didn't expect. I absolutely LOVE this hobby now. I think one of the reasons for that is it connects me to my father. Among the things I inherited was his currency collection. He had a Black Eagle, and Educational note, silver certificates, etc. and a literal wad of world banknotes from the early . 1900s through the middle of the century. I got the idea to do kind of a type set for the one dollar notes and bought a few and posted them in 2010 here: http://www.cointalk.com/t90849/ .

After reading through the comments of that thread, I wanted to do much more with this collection. My three objectives were 1) To display this note collection, and add to it so it could be more complete, in a way that I liked, that would be fun for me to do. 2) I also wanted something that I could show non-collectors that they would find interesting, fun and educational, and 3) I wanted to honor my dad's part in putting together part of this collection and doing it justice. In addition to the U.S. notes, I have arranged and displayed the World notes as well.

So, here is the culmination of my work. I know many will say to buy the best note you can afford....well, I can't afford the best notes and am completely satisfied with this collection as it stands. I'm sure one day I may upgrade, but I may not either. I put the notes in a three ring binder with a white page in between with an explanation of the notes. I completed the $1 note section today, and will start work on the 2s, 5s, etc.

I invite comments on my presentation, any holes you see, and PLEASE correct me if any of my information is inaccurate. I appreciate your comments, even if they are corrections. Here is a sample of what it looks like

[​IMG]

I'll post the set on the next page.

Bob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

5. valente151

valente151 Mr. AU64, Jr.

I love it. I would love to put something like that together!

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Very impressive!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

7. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

I have to agree with the previous posters here by saying that the collection is definitely impressive. I enjoy the fact that you decided to continue what your father started and then take it to the next level. Most of all, I love the fact that you acquired the best examples you could afford and that they were good enough for you to showcase!

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Nicely done.

9. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Very nice. I bet your father would be proud.

10. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Thats a great way to display the collection. I too have some paper money that I've purchased and have been trying to figure out how to display it - I may have to steal your idea

Well done

11. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Very nice Bob, contrats on a job well done!

Dave

12. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Thanks for the comments....I'll be using your descriptions that you posted long ago for my French notes Dave M. And Numbers, I used your explanation for the 1957 Silver Cert above. :)

thanks.

13. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Nice notes, and wonderful presentation of the set! :cool:

I'm not sure about your explanation of the wording on the 1934 $1. The point of the change from "one silver dollar" to "one dollar in silver" was that silver certificates could now be backed by *bullion*, not just coins. Indeed, in the great silver certificate redemptions of the '60s, the Treasury ran out of silver dollars and started paying out silver bars and silver granules. But everything I've read indicates that all the silver certificates were redeemed at a rate of $1.2929 per ounce, which is 0.7734 ounce per dollar--the content of a standard silver dollar, not the lesser 0.723 ounce per dollar used for the subsidiary coins.

If you want nitpicking... The Barr notes are Series 1963B, not 1969B. On page 5, there's no such thing as a 1990 $1. And on page 1, there were no series letters on large-size notes; those came along later, with the first small-size issues. So the Educational notes come with three different signature combinations, but they're all just plain Series 1896. (I think the champion here was the 1880 $20 USN, which lasted through *fourteen* signature combinations with no change to the series date!)

14. chip

chip Novice collector

Nice work. My father passed in February of 2009, and it was in researching his collection that I became interested in coins. I sure miss him, we used to spend time together every week.

15. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

THANKS! I will make some corrections....the Barr note error was just a typo, but I appreciate the other info :)

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I only dabble in currency but this is very impressive. Lot of work went into it, great job.

Sorry about your dad too :(

17. RJK3

RJK3 New Member

Very impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted