1 JULY 69 AD, Vespasian's Big Day

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Jul 1, 2015.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

The two legions stationed in Alexandria Egypt under the Prefect Tiberius Julius Alexander were the first to declare Vespasian emperor on 1 july, 69. According to Tacitus - "The first move to convey imperial status to Vespasian took place at Alexandria. This was due to the eagerness of Tiberius Alexander, who caused his legions to swear allegiance to the new emperor on 1 July" (Hist 2.79). The first coins struck for Vespasian anywhere in the empire are those dated "Year 1" (LA) from Alexandria Egypt between 1 July and 28 August. The obverse legend of these first coins lack the title Augustus (sebastos). However, those dated Year 2 (29 August 69 - 28 August 70) include the title, which is strong evidence that Vespasian did not immediately adopt it during the first two months of his reign. Vespasian did not arrive in Alexandria until December, so the Alexandrian die engravers probably had no idea of the new emperor's appearance. Vespasian's portrait on this coin is far removed from the more traditional bald, "straining" appearance we are used to. It is interesting to note this tetradrachm was struck nearly 6 months before the senate in Rome recognised Vespasian as emperor and the first imperial coins in his name were struck there.

Roma had previously been featured on the Alexandrian coinage of Galba, although as a bust and not the standing figure seen here.

RPC2403.jpg
    AR Tetradrachm
    Alexandria mint, 69 AD
    RPC 2403 (9 spec.)
    Obv: AYT TIT ΦΛAYI OYEΣΠAΣIAN KAIΣ; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: PΩMH; Roma standing l., with spear and shield

dlhill132, NormW, Gil-galad and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats the kind of tetradrachm I would love to have. You have a lot of Flavian coins that I have seen and would love to have, but this is probably a top 3.

David Atherton and Mikey Zee like this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Me too!!!!

David Atherton likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice and I will get in line as one who would love to own it. In the meantime:
    Vespasian 11.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    Æ Diobol
    OBVERSE: AYTOK KAIΣ ΣEBA OYEΣΠAΣIANOY, laureate head right
    REVERSE: LE, Draped bust of Isis right wearing uraeus crown
    Struck at Alexandria, Egypt, Year 5 = 72/73 A.D
    9.15 g, 24.9mm
    RPC 2438; Milne 427; Emmett 217
    Ex Zuzim Judaea Coins, New York

dlhill132, Gil-galad, stevex6 and 4 others like this.
  6. Dirk D

Dirk D Active Member

Wonderful coin and very interesting story behind it.

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Vespasian's big day? => hey, what a coincidence => Happy Canada Day!!

Oh sorry, and that's a fantastic coin, v70 (congrats)

:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted