1 Gerah of Yehud Judea of 375 BC

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by giladzuc, Aug 5, 2017.

1. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

Attached Files:

Curtisimo, TJC, Makanudo and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very cool @giladzuc !

I recently captured this 2 Gerah Hacksilver from a good friend of mine:

Israelite AR 2 Gerah Hacksilber ca 8-6 C BCE 8.8x10mm 1.12g ex David Hendin RARE.jpg
    Israelite
    AR 2 Gerah Hacksilber
    ca 8th-6th C. BCE
    8.8x10mm 1.12g
    ex David Hendin
    RARE

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Curtisimo, TJC, Makanudo and 9 others like this.
  4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

That is a tiny, but really Nice coin @giladzuc .
    I like your Hacksilber @Alegandron , I have one also -
    Asia Minor.jpg
    Silver Ingot, Pre-Money
    Asia Minor, Uncertain, 7th-6th century BC. AR Stater(?) - Ingot
    Obverse and Reverse - Plain flat surface
    6.88 grams, 16mm

You might like this book -
    hacksilber to coinage.jpg
    http://numismatics.org/store/ns24/
    it is only $13 plus shipping

5. Moishi Cohen

Moishi Cohen Active Member

Judean Hacksilber 4E992330-7157-4E6C-9593-EAF7CD3A7438.jpeg

rrdenarius, TJC, LaCointessa and 3 others like this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm in!
    Hacksilber.jpg
    Hacksilber Fragment, Earliest Coinage Period, Holy Land
    Hacksilber Ingot, c. 8-6 centuries BC, Israel. 21 x 14 x 5 mm, 8.4 grams. Cut in antiquity from a larger piece. Possibly an overweight Pym or underweight Nezef?

Similar ingots were found at Ein Gedi, Israel in a terra cotta cooking pot, hidden in a building destroyed near the end of Iron Age II, early 6th century BC (Avi-Yonah Encylcopedia of the Holy Land, volume 2, p. 374.)

The basic weight in use was the shekel, weighing 11.4 g on average. Other weight groups include, but are not limited to, the following:

(1) Beqa, a half shekel (Ex. 38:26), 5.7 g. (2) Nezef, averaging 9.12 g. The Judaean equivalent to an Egyptian qedet. (3) Pym, 7.6 g. (1 Samuel 13:21) The Judaean equivalent to the Phoenician shekel.

The weight of this ingot is identical to the Mesopotamian shekel. During the 9th to 6th centuries BCE in the Assyrian and Babylonian empires, the common form of expressing prices was in quantities equivalent to one shekel (8.4 g) of silver.

In ancient times, livestock were often used in barter. Indicative of this is the fact that the Latin word for money (pecunia) is drawn from pecus, meaning “cattle.” However, livestock (Ge 47:17) and foodstuffs (1Ki 5:10, 11) were obviously not a convenient medium of exchange.

Instead, pieces of precious metals began to be used, the weight being checked at the time the transaction was made.

Ge 23:16 "Abraham weighed out to E′phron the amount of silver that he had spoken in the hearing of the sons of Heth, four hundred silver shekels current with the merchants."; Jer 32:10 "Then I wrote in a deed and affixed the seal and took witnesses as I went weighing the money in the scales."

The usual Hebrew term translated as “money,” keseph, literally means “silver.” (Ge 17:12) There was no coined money in Israel during the First Temple Period (1006-586 BCE). Rather, it consisted of cut pieces of silver and gold, or molded for convenience into bars, rings, bracelets, having a specific weight. - Ge 24:22

At Judges 5:19, bâtsa‛ keseph, which is commonly rendered as, “No gain of silver did they take,” literally means to break off or cut off silver.

rrdenarius, TJC, Makanudo and 6 others like this.
  7. Moishi Cohen

Thank you, very nice.

I think that ancient jewelry were crafted with established weight standards in mind 6D1FCAE4-9B17-46EF-949A-133BBC23370C.jpeg

8. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Very interesting piece!

Moishi Cohen likes this.
  9. Moishi Cohen

Thank you.

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very interesting. I had often wondered if the shekels referred to in the Bible were actually coins or something else, so today I have learned something new.

LaCointessa likes this.
  11. Moishi Cohen

Indeed, thanks Nemo for the elaborate and very informative reference.

Coinage started in the holy land only in the fourth century BCE, prior to that, foreign imported coins were mostly hacked down, check out this photo.

The fractioned Athenians in the Photo below have been hacked to 4.2-4.3 grams, the aeginean weighs 8.5, the Athenian Tetradrachm to the right in the corner has been marked with two very deep cuts and can be easily broken off, it appears that there were several weight standards circulating at the same time.
    F55079E1-C87A-4A24-8702-D691E88E7C30.jpeg

12. Moishi Cohen

Nice piece

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Moishi Cohen

14. Moishi Cohen

This is my 2 Gerah piece 2B530E97-F7F4-4586-A5AE-3EDB3C20773B.jpeg

15. Moishi Cohen

90FB70E3-F0E6-4CED-88F0-97E151386035.jpeg

IA Israelite - AV/EL: 1/2 Shekel

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  16. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Okay, reading this thread just made my heart leap a little. I have a million questions, but I guess I just need to start with the book referenced above.

Wow!

LaCointessa and Moishi Cohen like this.
  17. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

@Aethelred! Me too! I am completely intrigued.

Thanks to everyone who posted their hacksilber ingots.

@Moishi Cohen - Thank you for posting these pieces. The electrum ingots (there is another tiny one in the display box, I think?) are especially beautiful (imo). Can you please tell us something about the triangular piece that seems to be comprised of two separate (not mixed) types of metal and weighs 1.73 grams to the right of the 2 Gerah piece in the display box?

Thank you.

Moishi Cohen likes this.
  18. Moishi Cohen

Thank you.

The smaller Electrum ingot piece weighs 2.6 grams.

The triangular 1.73g is a 3 Gerah piece hacked on two sides but it’s one solid piece

6A3533A8-2340-46DE-9AF2-B6B6F99D1729.jpeg

19. Moishi Cohen

D525F25A-1923-49B2-AFF1-FFDAA67193D7.jpeg
    Here’s the small hackgold

Johndakerftw and Alegandron like this.
  20. Moishi Cohen

Here’s the weight of the larger AV/EL

464C6FEB-C4C0-429A-93F9-0CB95D8E5772.jpeg

Johndakerftw and Alegandron like this.
  21. Nemo