1 Dollar Bill Error

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by 3BStuff, Nov 28, 2023.

1. 3BStuff

3BStuff Cogitare Et Prolatantem

Hey guys I found a dollar bill with an error it seems there was some extra ink that came out while printing it's on the 7 as you guys can probably see. IMG_0741.JPG IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0743.JPG
    Last photo is a bit blurry so sorry about that but there didn't seem to be anything on the back.
    I know that there aren't many bill experts on CT but I'm hoping you guys could give some opinions.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

This is considered an over-inked digit. It is common on the serial number and in my opinion not worth anything above face value. However, there are collectors for everything so you might find someone to pay above face.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Spend it! wink.png

PlanoSteve likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice find! It’s an over inked digit. Nice to find, especially at face value as it’s only worth face or a hair more.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  6. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

I found a very similar note on eBay from the same exact district on the same digit as yours. The seller is asking $17.99, it is not worth anywhere near that amount but it is a good starting point. I would say if you were lucky you may be able to get $5 for it.
    Capture.JPG

Attached Files:

7. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Five dollars is WAY too much for this type of error, especially on a circulated note. Get a strap of singles from the bank and I bet you can find at least one example of this error in it.

JPD3, VistaCruiser69 and PlanoSteve like this.
  8. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

This note falls into the category of "Interesting...Worth $1".

If it were a brand new crispy note straight out of a strap, it would be worth....$1.

It's a curious anomaly & if you want to keep it, fine, even though the condition is hideous. :smuggrin:
    We actually have quite a few with expert class knowledge, but I see few have bothered to comment on this (yet?).

3BStuff, VistaCruiser69 and 1stSgt22 like this.
  9. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I can’t see any premium on the OP’s note. First, the minor over inking is kinda common and second, the note is well circulated.

JPD3 and Coins4Eli like this.
  10. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Interesting the OP's note and the note found on ebay. One ends with 0697 I and the other with 0617 I. Got to wonder if they were from almost the same sheet when printed.

Coins4Eli likes this.
  11. 3BStuff

3BStuff Cogitare Et Prolatantem

sorry I guess there is a lot if there is an entire bill category
    and yes interesting worth 1 dollar

Draft saved Draft deleted