$1 coin rolls

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Dustin McDaniel, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Dustin McDaniel

Dustin McDaniel Active Member

I do a lot of coin roll hunting but only for dimes, quarters, halves and I'm mostly a silver hunter at that.
    So I don't know anything about the $1 coins. Bank teller told me she has $4200 in $1 coins she's going to be sending back to the feds. She came out with a few in either customer wrapped or hand wrapped by bank ( small town bank don't have a coin rolling machine, all done by hand).
    She also had these two rolls of what I'm assuming are uncirculated $1 coins. I bought them just in case they hold a bit of value above face. If not I can spend them. Help a newbie out, what would you do,
    1. With these 2 presidential rolls?
    2. Is it worth buying bank rolls of $1 coins looking for errors, silver Susan B's, etc ?
    I've heard of the Cheerios Sacagawea but don't know much else.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JDcompy

JDcompy Chief Inspiration Officer

Hi,

I have ordered and searched MANY boxes of dollar coins over the years (lately as well). Here are some thoughts:

1) Banks NEVER. (except on a silly rare occasion) have dollar coins/coin rolls on hand. This is because nobody asks for them - nobody uses or spends them. So, the bank has no use for them on hand. I've actually been places that refused to take them as payment (over 20 at a time). This means that if a bank has dollar coins/rolls of dollars, it is because a customer brought them in. 4200 (to me) says a customer ordered a bunch of $1 boxes, searched them, brought them back, and now the bank has them until they can send them back. Therefore, these are already searched and unlikely to have anything good.

2) If you do have some uncirculated/mint rolls of dollar coins - I have found they are not worth anything more than face value unless you plan to a) sell them as rolls on ebay or b) open and sell individual coins as "mint uncirculated" at about 2.5-5$ each on ebay and try to make a profit. This is nice but there are hundreds of sellers doing this, ebay and paypal and taxes take a portion and I don't think it's worth it. If you are collecting the dollars and want to add that coin to your collection then - awesome! Take one out and put the rest back.

3) I don't think there are enough error dollar coins to feel it is worth searching for errors in these rolls. And, susan ba dollars are actually fairly common - not really worth anything above face. There are No silver editions of the SBAs.

- I've gone through about $2000 dollar coins in the last 60 days. Hope this helps!

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a lot to look for in $1.00 coins and the only reason the bank has them is no one wants them.

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have many partial rolls of President dollars. I use them as tips at the golf course. They are worth $1 each no matter what condition they are in.

SensibleSal66 and masterswimmer like this.
  6. Dustin McDaniel

Dustin McDaniel Active Member

Somehow my op didn't load this pic of the 2 rolls I was speaking of.
    Also thanks for all of these helpful replies.
    IMG_20240119_160522.jpg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. JDcompy

JDcompy Chief Inspiration Officer

I recognize those - they are mint rolls of those presidents. But, still, I stand by my original post. GL!

Dustin McDaniel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted