1 Cent collar slip or luck token

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by alurid, Oct 22, 2016.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I got this cent recently in a paper envelope that said "odd stike through perfect" and
    "obverse circumference greater than reverse" then "struck without collar, UNC.
    And someone wrote "or came out of encased cent disc ?" What do you think? DSC04087.JPG DSC04091.JPG DSC04092.JPG DSC04090.JPG

Mad Stax and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like it was encased in the past. They use high pressure to enclose Cents that causes this.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

My thought is that if it was encased it would have some wear on it. It still has 95
    % + luster, uncirculated condition, DSC04089.JPG no scratches or marks.

5. paddyman98

It could have been encased as soon as it was minted then kept somewhere safe for a long time until someone decided to release it. I have done it.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Looks like it came from a lucky holder to me. Cool looking coin.

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It was encased. It might have then been put in a drawer to sit for many years.

8. paddyman98

s-l300.jpg
    A Coin Bezel can alter the edge also
    (Not my coin)

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Doesn't an encased coin get smaller not larger? The obverse of this cent measures at 20mm. The reverse is 19mm.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It didn't come from the Mint looking like that.

11. paddyman98

Look at my post #7
    I also mention a Bezeled coin.. different type of encasement. A coin can be altered many ways. Smaller or larger. I have seen many over the years.
    I have never seen a Partial collar error slope the way yours does. Only encased coins. Not an error.

12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I agree that it isn't an error. The finning on the reverse rim and the tapered edge indicates pmd. The missing pieces of letters is kinda cool and I suspect may have been the reason for it being saved.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  13. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I can not understand how any type of encasement could make a coin larger. Please explain this.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They are pressed into the holder. The rims and edges change based on the type of holder being used and how it's being pressed.

15. paddyman98

I can't give you an exact correct explanation but copper is a metal that can be expanded if enough slight pressure is administered to it.

16. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Just like a coin on train tracks
    Under extreme pressure metal expands

17. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Presure from the inside to the outside will make metal larger. Is not that why collars are used in the die stamping process to retain the corect size of a coin? If you apply
    presure to the outside rim or edge of it will not squeeze it a make it smaller or even buckle and bend with enough presure?

18. paddyman98

Struck without collar - If this was the case then the entire circumference would be expanded, Obverse and Reverse and that is what is called a Broadstrike.

19. paddyman98

Yes. But Bezels and Encasements were made in many different ways. Some did not surround the Cent all the way around. Some sloped strangely. Like I mentioned. I never saw a partial collar strike with a slope such as your Cent in question.

20. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

In trying to explain why I believe it's post mint, if the finning on the reverse rim were true to the original strike, it would indicate the collar was engaged when the coin was struck. If it were only partially engaged there should be a clear line around the rim where the collar stopped and with the lack of lateral resistance, there shouldn't be any finning.

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Put a pat of butter on a plate. Now press the butter down. It's still the same pat of butter but it's now thinner and wider. The same thing happened with your penny, except, with your penny, only the edges were compressed, making them spread outward, moving in the path of least resistance.

Draft saved Draft deleted