$1 - Bookend Serial Number

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by paddyman98, Oct 22, 2017.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi all,
    Received this as my change this morning. Nice an Crisp 2013

Bookend Serial Number
    948 65 948
    20171022_095606-1.jpg 20171022_095606-2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Nice find!

Thanks,
    Jacob

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Always great to get something like this.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Norman Asis

Norman Asis Active Member

That's nice! To be considered a bookend, the first 3 and last 3 numbers has to be the same, right? That's why when I posted a dollar bill that had the serial 077 69 770, and asked if it can be posted on the "almost" thread, one commented that I was not even close. What if I had either a 99 or 66 in my middle two, it's a radar right? And is term "inverter" even legit? I saw a video noting that a serial number 09816896 is an example of an inverter because a there is still a readable numbers when the bill is turned upside down.
    Hoping to learn more about paper money fancy serial# , errors and varieties. Thanks!

6. paddyman98

The term for this would be a Flipper serial number... Because when you flip it upside down it reads as a serial # ;)

7. paddyman98

I would call it a Bookend also.

But keep in mind that Bookends, Flippers and Birthday serial numbers don't fall under the Fancy Serial Numbers category.. I would call them just Cool serial numbers.

8. Norman Asis

Thanks Mr. Paddyman. I knew it didn't sound right. Is there a market for cool serial number? Lol.
    Since you were kind enough to reply on my comment, I have a some star notes that I got of from pocket change. Out of the ones I have, only 2 were somewhat rare. A $1 and $2 dollar bills. If the rest ofbthe notes I have doesn't fall in that category, are they just worth face value? I plan to list it on offer up. I don't want to mark it up if it's only worth FV, but atbthe same time , if a mark up of dollar or two is justifiable, then I'd list as my asking price. Any info you can hook me up with will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

There shouldn't be but on ebay there is. They even have serial numbers that are neither fancy or cool... So sad

Some people like these type of cool serial numbers but nobody should be paying a huge premium for them. IMHO

10. paddyman98

I honestly don't really know much about star notes to comment on rarity or value. Create a new thread and others will chime in.

✌ Peace

11. Norman Asis

Oh yeah? And they get bids for it? Kinda testing the waters on paper money. So far the fancy serial numbers are pretty straight forward. I also like the birthdays. I have one that has my wife' s birthday except the year.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Norman Asis

No worries. Thanks for the info. Im checking out ebay and see what they have up for sale.

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

I looked at bill collecting(expensive) but didn't understand stuff like this.
    can someone explain this please?

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

It’s an obscure fancy category that originated on eBay to hype an auction. I do not believe I have ever heard the term bookend serial number as an auction description in any large, national auction such as Heritage, StacksBowers, Lyn Knight, or Spink.

Most of the bookend serial numbers I’ve seen are matching pairs with zeros between them, like 12000012, or 48000048.

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. paddyman98

LaCointessa likes this.
  16. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

@paddyman98, bookend notes are not mentioned on Dave's website.

17. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I like how clean the bill is! @paddyman98, my step grandfather used to work in some fancy highfalutin’ hotel back in the olden days of prohibition. One of his duties was to collect all the guest’s money - paper and coin, and launder it!! Launder their money. Wash it in big machines and actually iron the paper bills! People did not like to handle dirty money when they stepped out on the town.

These days people still launder money but not with soap and water in big washing machines.:banghead:

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

19. BigHamp

BigHamp New Member

Hi. I'm a newbie to this but has anyone ever seen a bill with triple consecutive bookends? Was trying to find one online but didn't have much luck. Probably normal but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted