$1 Bill with an X serial number

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Wheatie44, May 20, 2017.

1. Wheatie44

Wheatie44 Active Member

Is there anything special about a one dollar bill with an x on the end of the serial number?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Not particularly, no. They just stand out because the X block isn't printed very often. Until they were recently printed for series 2009 $1 and 2009A $100 notes, the last time they were printed was for series $1 1995 and $100 1996 notes. Y block notes are even less commonly encountered because they were last printed in 1999. It seems apparent that the BEP purposely avoids printing the Y block as well.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Funny, I pulled an 09 X block today. Never seen one before.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Something different for sure :)

6. aep1984

aep1984 Member

I see them often in my cash register at work. I'm not sure if they are more abundant in the Northeast, but I'm in the Boston area, I usually notice they are mostly nice crisp bills, slightly circulated.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

X marks the spot?

8. Bill Spraker

Bill Spraker New Member

is dollar bill without "in God we trust" missing valuable?

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The condition is very important. "In God We Trust" wasn't added to U.S. currency until 1957. Was it a Silver Certificate?

10. Bill Spraker

Bill Spraker New Member

I don't know--- I need to check it--- Thank you

11. Karen Lewisg

Karen Lewisg New Member

can i send a picture

12. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

There's nothing special about the X except that it's rare that they get that far in the alphabet before one of the signatories changes and they start all over again with a new series

Tables and tables and tables and tables and more than you ever wanted to know is here: http://www.uspapermoney.info

13. Jrogers817

Jrogers817 New Member

What about a 1957 series $1 bill with an X in the beginning of the serial number? or a red seal $2 bill both beginning and ending with A?

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Start your own unique thread.. with pictures!

15. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

A3C0FE98-A713-41D5-8C69-C9672C056D6C.jpeg 141D0CD9-3F3E-4B5F-93EC-937B53F27897.jpeg
    Starting in series 1953, every $2 Legal Tender (red seal) had an “A” suffix and prefix. Nothing unusual about that.

Some collectors look for a nice example of high suffixed aces kid the L-X and L-Y block notes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Cheech9712 likes this.
  16. D.Gilbert

D.Gilbert New Member

17. D.Gilbert

D.Gilbert New Member

I live in the midwest in Nebraska and if we find an access always really worn and beaten down. I wish I could find some that were crisp.. I have yet to find a "Y".

18. Matty B.

Matty B. New Member

The three "X" notes that I know I have are:
    1995 New York (B2)
    1995 New York (B2)
    1988A Atlanta (F6)
    All three were printed in Washington D.C.
    I have no "Y" notes yet.

NOS likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This thread is over 5 years old. Best to start a new thread and post photos.

20. Alek

Alek New Member

Actually, "I'm God We Trust" began appearing on series 1935H $1 Silver certificates

21. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Actually it was the 1935 G series that it first appeared on, hence the "1935G W/Motto"

Draft saved Draft deleted