$1 bill misprint - worth anything?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ylgastonco, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ylgastonco

ylgastonco New Member

Just found this in my wallet, not in good shape at all but wanted to see if it was worth anything before I spent it... any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Do not spend it, I'm at work so I do not access to my books. There will be a premium even in that condition. Someone will be along to give more info.

4. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

How could that have lasted in circulation long enough to show such wear? I'd pass out if I found that in my wallet!

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It's a real note, the error is faked. The Treasury Seal, District seal and the serial numbers are printed at the same time. If it were a real error, the serial numbers would be out of place, also.

6. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

I don't think this is a fake error. On the fake errors, the black Fed seal is shifted but the black district numbers are typically left alone. On this note, the entire black overprint is shifted as a unit, which is how a genuine error would look.

The black overprint and the green overprint are applied during the same printing operation, but they're applied moments apart and it's possible for the sheet to shift in between them. That looks to be what happened here....

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I did not know that. Thank you. I stand corrected.

Draft saved Draft deleted