$1 Bill Elimination Idea On Capital Hill

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Drago the Wolf, Nov 8, 2011.

1. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

My hands certainly feel more grubby after touching change than paper dollar bills. People see dollar coins and say "Oh wow, these are cleaner". They are cleaner, because they aren't circulated as much because they aren't popular. Go through rolls of pennies, nickles, etc and then tell me that coins are cleaner than paper dollars. You'd have to lie or go through a newer roll to tell the truth. So, I don't know how you can say that coins would be cleaner. Thoroughly circulated pennies are, most of the time, dirtier than paper money, remember that.

I've seen a lot of arguments on here based off of the fact that "other countries did it, so why not us". Other countries also drive on the left side of the road, use the metric system, and so on. So, lets all start driving on the left side of the road and start using the metric system so we can 'be like other countries'. America is unique and IMO, should be left that way. It's what symbolizes us as a nation: Difference. America has invented and brought so much into this world, why change it? Why copy Europe and Asia? It just don't make sense to base this argument off of all that, IMO. But, thats of course just me. I'm sure some people in America strive to be like other overseas nations, as if their economies are much better off than ours. And don't even try saying "well, Canada got rid of the paper dollar and their economy is better than ours". Canadas economy does not strive because they got rid of the paper dollar, it strives because they don't stick their foot in every possible open door and don't 'help out' people who end up hating us for it. I think thats too political and I'm going to stop at that point.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

Really? About every vending machine in my area takes dollar coins and I live in Southern Indiana! I bet more machines do so in your area and you're just unaware. Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere...

4. ctrl

ctrl Member

No, big city. Maybe I haven't noticed, but I don't see them. I do see a huge number of machines that accept debit/credit cards, however.

5. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

ctrl just made a good point. Once the economy gets back up and runnning, we won't need coins or dollars because everybody will revert back to bank accounts and we'll all just be swiping our cards.

6. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Let's get real people, I doubt it will happen since I don't see the politicians using dollar coins themselves to stick in the strippers thong at the local strip club. ;)

7. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Now this is tue; those coins sure could hurt and could cause some damage when thrown at strippers. I don't even know why I am bothering to argue with folks on here about it anyways. Like you said; it isn't going to happen for a long time. The only reason it looks as if more people want the coin on here is because a lot of these people are coin collectors them selves so of course they want more dollar coins! I am a paper currencycollector and I want paper dollars. That isn't however, the only reason I oppose dollar coins. I am thinking for convience purposes as well.

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

To those people that think they wil be "inconvenienced" having to use dollar coins, I'd like to ask why you think it's the governments job to provide conveniences for you at taxpayer expense. I always thought government was for necessities not niceties.
    As a taxpayer, I don't like paying extra taxes for somethin that can be done cheaper.
    Here's a suggestion, stores could put a leave a dollar-take a dollar dish on the counter and if you get dollar coins in change just leave them in the tray. I'm sure someone will be more than happy to take them off your hands. This way you will be paying for your conveneniences and I won't have to.

9. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

It's the governments job to do what majority of people in the United States want. That's it. That is what makes America, America and not a country where the government says they are going to do something and just does it without any public influences. Thats a right that we should all be truely thankful to have. As soon as they convince enough people that coins are better than paper, and those people vote on it, they will change it. One of my favorite quotes: "The Government that rules the least... Rules the best". Still remember, there are certainly more they can do to save billions per day instead of getting rid of the paper dollar to save that per 30 years. IMO, this chat should either start heading a completely different direction or it should be moved to the right part of this forum for political discussions because it does seem very political. What do you guys think?

10. ctrl

ctrl Member

I think dollar bill versus coin discussions should be done only through Braveheart quotes.

11. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I'm with you on the role of government Tbud, you'll get no argument fron me there. I'd just like to see a survey where they ask people that if it saves taxpayers millions of dollars whether they would accept dollar coins, not just whether they prefer paper or coins with no other conditions.

12. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

When the time comes where most people of the US prefer the dollar coin over the paper dollar, I hope they stop the production of paper dollars and increase the production of dollar coins overnight without any hesitations because I think people of this great nation deserve what they ask for of the government but I'm pretty sure that won't be another few decades..

13. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Yes but "taxpayers" are usually the ones who vote and guess what. They vote NO on dollar coins and YES on paper dollars. They have conducted surveys and those were the results. It's not just people who don't pay their taxes who like the paper dollar... Taxpayers appreciate the conviences of paper dollars too. I like how you make "taxpayers" seem like some special, set off to the side, elite group of people in this country who do something extraordinary. Many people still do pay their taxes and majority of people in this country are not ready to ditch the paper dollar.:)

14. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Like:

I can think of more but perhaps that's a good start. I put the original word in parenthesis.. ;)

15. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

Or Monty Python quotes, such as ...

"And now for something completely different."

16. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

... or, of course ...

"And now for something completely the same."

17. ctrl

ctrl Member

obligatory: They may take our dollar bills, but they'll never take ... our FREEDOM (from jangly pockets)

18. stroligep

stroligep Member

Myth. One big reason our government was set up the way it is, is to resist the will of the majority. That's what the Bill of Rights is about. That's why you need super majorities in the senate. That's why it takes a 2/3 majority to override a presidential veto.

19. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

They bend over backwards for the corporate lobbyists lining their campaigns with donations, that's what really drives our government, campaigning and getting re-elected. ;)

20. ctrl

ctrl Member

It's a shame that some political party has over-abused the filibuster (actually just the threat of a filibuster) to the point where it has confused the American people into thinking that super-majorities are actually a regular requirement instead of the usual simple majority.

But it is true that the US government is structured in a way to protect the rights of the minority (legislatively), however not for the minority to override the majority always.

21. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

A lot of these comments are in fact true, but still, 2/3rds of this country obviously wants paper dollars or we have gotten rid of it decades ago. They have been trying to ditch the paper dollar for decades and they haven't done it yet, and they won't do it for a while. 2/3rds of the people on this particular Coinchat forum want us to get rid of paper dollar and bring in the coin. But if you walk into your local grocery store and ask everybody what they think, 2/3rds will in matter of fact tell you that they appreciate paper dollars over metal coins. Coins get lost easily, you drop them and they roll everywhere in all different directions, they come out of your pocket in the pool, they fall out of drive thru windows when your trying to hand it over, etc. Good luck with trying to prove me wrong for those examples. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted