$1 August Bechtler Carolina Gold coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jewelman13, May 26, 2017.

1. jewelman13

jewelman13 New Member

Recently found a $1 August Bechtler Carolina Gold Coin
    27.g/21.c

I was wondering if you guys can spread some light on the coin I recently found. How rare is this coin? I know that a hole in a coin is considered damaged and value is greatly appreciated... but what would you consider the value of this gold coin?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

IMG_4471.JPG IMG_4472.JPG

mas4492 and C-B-D like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

If it's authentic, you found a valuable coin, even with the hole. I don't see any immediate authenticity flags, but I have very little experience with this series and who knows what is coming from China.

Assuming nobody else finds any obvious flags, this would be a definite candidate for a slabbing to confirm authenticity.

If real, my very rough guess would be $1000-$2000 in a reputable TPG slab. A quick check of Heritage shows that they sold some undamaged higher grades in the $4500 range

jewelman13 likes this.
  4. jewelman13

jewelman13 New Member

Wow! Thats fantastic. This coin came in with a bunch of other civil war coins and trade cents. So I know that it's real, especially coming from the family history that brought the rest of the coins in. Thank you for the help. I think we'll definitely get this slabbed.

C-B-D likes this.
  5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Indeed, certainly looks genuine and very collectible.

C-B-D likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Bechtler gold is rare and valuable, even in this condition. It looks quite genuine. Too bad about the hole - but I would still recommend getting it certified. In a good auction, even in this condition, there will be strong competition for this piece.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice find. I used to live in Western NC near where these were made. As you can imagine, that spiced up my daydreams when I went out detecting.

I would so love to hang that on my hat! :)

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

PS- @Aethelred still lives in that neck of the woods, and I believe he and his coworkers have had one or two of these walk into their shop, so I'll tag him.

Draft saved Draft deleted