$1,560 For Slabbed Constantine GLORIA EXERCITVS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It's a nice looking coin but I can't see any reason why it would command such a price.
    What am I missing besides the stupid slab?

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Bidding war?

5. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A couple of collectors of moderns thought it must be an extremely rare thing that a Roman could could be in such a high grade.

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

8. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Wow. For that money I would have bought a solidus, instead.

9. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

10. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I noticed a couple other prices that seemed unreasonably high, but this one was by far the most extreme. There was a pair of decent-but-not-great electrum Carthage staters for $5,280 (a bit off-center) and $3,840 (with a noticeable flan crack). It's really making me want to submit my pair of EL Staters to NGC & then consign (along with as many Constantine AE3s as I can)! The Koson Staters went pretty high too (one more than the other), but again, not nearly as bad as the Constantine.

robinjojo and Edessa like this.
  11. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Holy mackerel, that is totally insane. Someone profited handsomely off that one...

Curtis likes this.
  12. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I realize this is an extreme outlier and these can easily be found at reasonable costs but…

Before the pandemic, you could snag a similar unslabbed coin like this on eBay for anywhere from $5 to $20… if you took the time to wade through the garbage. Now even on eBay, I’ve watched junkers go for $50. Crazy.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  13. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

It is the magical properties of plastic.

Plastics......

DonnaML likes this.
  14. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That obverse is marred by some deposits. That’s not even FDC.

rrdenarius likes this.
  15. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

But it's phenomenally alluring. It says so right in the description.

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Gosh the coin is almost 1700 years old. Should be worth thousands

17. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Oh no, don't get me started on Stack's descriptions of ancient coins! Aside from their puffed up superlatives, they also frequently make the most apologetic comments if they feel there is even the slightest "evidence of handling"! Their phrase.

As if the fantasy of a coin being removed from the mint in latex gloves and placed in plastic until it can be encapsulated without ever touching skin somehow applies to ancient coins.... Coins that were buried underground for 1,500-2,500 years, then excavated, cleaned chemically and manually to make them collectible, then passed through middlemen to dealers to collectors to Stack's to NGC and back... unhandled!

18. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

"Wading through garbage" is almost a mission statement for me; I almost never buy LRB's individually, but $10 on eBay got me this one (a year ago, mid-pandemic) - not "phenomenally alluring" for sure, but not chopped-liver either:

upload_2022-2-25_0-19-36.jpeg
    Constantine I Follis (Æ 15)
    (335-337 A.D.) Antioch Mint

CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG, rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right. / GLORIA EXERCITVS, two soldiers holding spears and shields with one standard between them, o on banner, SMANΔ in exergue.
    RIC VII Antioch 108, Δ
    (1.61 grams / 15 mm)
    eBay Feb. 2021 $10.00 BIN

19. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

NB: When selling coins, slab and send them to Stack's.

20. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I’m the same. Deals and hidden gems are there, just rarer than they used to be. However, for one “find” there are a thousand fakes, reposts, crazy prices and junk listings… but the thrill of the hunt keeps me scrolling! Haha.

DonnaML likes this.
  21. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

That's absolutely insane. At least two people either made a mistake or just didn't have to care about money.

And in case the looser in this bidding war is reading: I am willing to part with either of my examples for a mere 500 USD a piece. That seems to be quite a bargain these days - so just pm me! ;)
    Rom – Constaninus II Junior, AE 3, Konstantinopel, Gloria Exercitus, RIC 81..png
    Constantine II Iunior, Roman Empire, AE3, 333–335 AD, Constantinople mint. Obv: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C; bust of Constantine II, laureate, cuirassed, r. Rev: GLORIA EXERCITVS; two soldiers, helmeted, draped, cuirassed, standing facing each other, each holding reversed spear in outer hand and resting inner hand on shield; between them, two standards; in exergue, •CONSΘ•. 20mm, 2.62g. Ref: RIC VII Constantinople 81.

upload_2022-2-25_10-32-22.png
    Constantine I, Roman Empire, AE 3, 335–336 AD, Siscia mint. Obv: CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG, bust of Constantine I, diademed, draped and cuirassed, r. Rev: GLORIA EXERCITUS; two soldiers standing facing each other, standard between them; in exergue, ASIS*. 15mm, 1.45g. Ref: RIC VII Siscia 261.

Edessa, sand, Marsyas Mike and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted