1/3 Stater of Croesus (a bucket list pickup!)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gam3rBlake, May 11, 2022.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I’ve had my eye on these Croesids of various denominations for a long time but never had the opportunity or money to purchase one.

“Rich as Croesus” was and still is a phrase that’s been used for millenia to describe extreme wealth. This coin is a tiny part of the wealth of the actual King Croesus ^_^

They’re just such a cool piece of history!

I picked the 1/3 stater because it’s 3.5 grams and so it’s about the same size as my Roman denarius coins xD.

I love how it looks like there is spit coming out of the lion’s mouth! I think I’ll call it the “spitting lion” variety.

B9DE3B4C-DA50-4AEA-96D3-D995F092F9B4.jpeg
    E104FC04-6664-49A4-A89C-E6A973AC1580.jpeg

LYDIAN KINGDOM. Croesus (561-546 BC). AR third-stater (13mm, 3.51 gm). NGC Choice XF 5/5 - 3/5.Confronted foreparts of lion left facing right, and bull right facing left / Two irregular incuse squares. BMFA 2071, SNG Keckman 359.

(Note: Most of the info I am sharing below was sourced from Krosos coin’s website)

Croesus is known for creating the world’s first standardized bimetallic standard and by default the world’s first gold & silver coins of standardized purity. At least as pure as possible in the mid 6th century BC.

Before Croesus, his father Alyattes had already started to mint various types of non-standardized coins. They were made in a naturally occurring material called electrum, a variable mix of gold and silver (with about 54% gold and 44% silver), and were in use in Lydia, its capital city Sardis and surrounding areas for about 80 years before Croesus' reign as King of Lydia. The unpredictability of electrum coins' composition implied that they had a variable value, which greatly hampered the development of standardised coinage.

Here is an example of one of my own pre-Croesid electrum coins also of Lydia:
    7BEDD0AD-51D2-4F6F-BF4C-FAE948262965.jpeg

As you can see trading with coins like this would be difficult because the gold/silver content is unknown.

Both gold & silver Croesids circulated simultaneously thus creating the world’s first bimetallic currency standard.

10 Silver Croesid (10.7g) = 1 Gold Croesid (8.1g) thus the exchange rate of silver to gold was 13.3 to 1

2F1DF0FC-2CF6-43BA-9632-13A1229BEBA4.jpeg

The famous “Father of History” Herodotus mentioned the innovation of coinage, and standard coinage, made by the Lydians:

“So far as we have any knowledge, they [the Lydians] were the first people to introduce the use of gold and silver coins, and the first who sold goods by retail.”

— Herodotus, I.94

The lion attacking the bull motif on this coin type has been variously theorized of symbolizing the sun and moon, spring and winter (the fall of the constellation Taurus corresponded to the date of the spring sowing), strength and fertility, Asia Minor and Europe, and Lydia and its neighbor Phrygia.

Alternatively, the lion - symbol of Lydia - and the bull - symbol of Hellenic Zeus (from the Seduction of Europa) - are facing each other in truce.

Note that hunting lions attack from the rear, also imagery of a predator and prey lying down together in peace is reflected in other ancient literature, e.g. "...the calf and the lion and the yearling together..." c.700BC.

When the Achaemenid Empire ruler Cyrus the Great invaded Lydia, together with the rest of Asia Minor, he adopted the bimetallic system initially introduced by Croesus, and continued to strike gold and silver coins at Sardis according to the model of the Croeseid until around 520 BC.

Under Darius I the minting of Croeseid in Sardis was then replaced by the minting of Persian gold Darics and silver Sigloi, probably around 515 BC. The earliest gold coin of the Achaemenid Empire, the Daric, followed the weight standard of the Croeseid, and is therefore considered to be later and derived from the Croeseid.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

That's a very beautiful little coin! Congrats!

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  4. Gam3rBlake

Thanks Meat man!

It’s crazy that they were able to mint such beautiful coins back in the mid 6th century BC o_O.

Especially compared to the slightly older electrum coins like the one I posted below it. They went from vague blobs and simple shapes to pretty detailed engravings of animals pretty fast!

This is a full century before the famous silver Owl tetradrachms of Athens!

To me it’s just amazing because its about as far back as Greek history goes before you get into the void of the Greek Dark Ages that followed the Bronze Age Collapse of the Mycenaean Greeks.

I mean even if you compare it to Rome it’s crazy to think that this was Rome’s “legendary kings” period that we have practically no knowledge about. Idk it just blows my mind.

All of this is why I had to have an example of a Croesid xD.

Essentially this is the dawn of Classical Greece and all the wonders that came from it. :)

Struck7 likes this.
  5. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Plus the extraordinary historical significance of being the first bi-metallic coinage system in history!

The rapidity of artistic development on coins is truly astonishing. Only two hundred-some years between this:
    Screenshot 2022-05-11 212922.png

And this:

Screenshot 2022-05-11 213219.png

6. Gam3rBlake

Yeah for sure! Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if they hadn’t chosen a gold & silver standard.

For all we know the history of money could’ve been completely different!

We might be buying & selling coins for cows or shells or who knows what.

Basically every gold & silver coin ever minted owes a bit of gratitude to these Croesids for being the first of the first. :)

Struck7 and The Meat man like this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Genuinely nice indeed, and great right up, congrats your collection seems to go from strength to extra strength.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  8. Gam3rBlake

Thanks Aussie! Glad you enjoyed the write up! :) I’ve actually been planning on writing about the Croesid since I first bought my Lydian 1/24, 1/12 and 1/6 electrum staters but I wanted to wait until I had an actual Croesid to post my thread about it so people could see the pre and post Croesid coinage from my examples :)

Ancient Aussie and DonnaML like this.
  9. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

That is a truly splendid example! I like it!

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  10. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Active Member

Krosos coin's website?

Ross G.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very attractive example! No reason to keep it in the tomb.

Surprisingly, fourrée counterfeits of these don't seem to be very common. Here's mine, of a half-stater / siglos (3.85g):
    fourree siglos.jpg

12. Gam3rBlake

13. Gam3rBlake

Oh counterfeits are common I just don’t know if they are fourees lol
    9EBC5CE0-EE6D-4E7A-9949-6730FE99E808.png

Edessa likes this.
  14. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Very nice example. Sharply struck from good dies. Congrats!

Since these coins really chunky you'll probably find it's a lot smaller than you might expect. My guess is it's about 13mm. Fortunately, that doesn't affect its beauty or history.:)

Mine's worn and unslabbed. History in hand is much more fun;)
    Lydia. Kroisos, 561-546 BC.  Siglos 5.04 gr. 17 mm. Sardeis mint. .jpg

15. Gam3rBlake

Thanks!! :)

Sweet coin!

Hmm apparently the Type 1 US Gold $1 coin was 12.8mm which is pretty close to 13mm so I expect it must be about the same size as a gold dollar. Although as you said it is a chunkier coin so it’s probably nice and thick.

I don’t mind if it’s a bit smaller diameter wise. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Ignoramus Maximus likes this.
  16. Gam3rBlake

Anyone happen to have an example of the gold ones? xD

17. Gam3rBlake

Hey I just noticed yours is a siglos! Can you tell me how big it is? I know mine is going to be smaller but I’m just curious if it is bigger than a dime or not?

18. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

The size is in the text under the pic. 17mm.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  19. Gam3rBlake

Oops my bad I didn’t see that because it was so small. Thanks!

20. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Here is my third stater.
    20200710_124007.jpg 6291472-009.JPG 6291472-009r.JPG

Edessa, Kavax, Gam3rBlake and 4 others like this.
  21. Gam3rBlake

I believe that one was made by the Achaemenid Empire after Croesus was defeated by Cyrus the Great.

It’s a little bit later than the Croesus ones but still an excellent and beautiful example. :)

The reason I believe it is from the Achaemenids is because it is the more rigid design associated with them.

Edessa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted