$1 - 1977A - Thumbprint on Washington's Face - PMG Certified

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by paddyman98, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

FWIW: I think this happened after it left the BEP. It can't be an end note on a cut stack with that serial number, and there aren't a lot of opportunities to handle an individual sheet during the process prior to cutting. Not saying it's impossible, but IMO, not very likely.

If you checked out some of the BEP videos on youtube, you may be able to find some parts of the process where someone is handling sheets/notes without gloves (I'm too lazy today;)). Maybe that would help build a case.

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Jersey magic man
    I don't think you've seen this old thread of mine.
    Just wanted to share ;)

5. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for sharing this old thread. I had not seen it before. I think I am in the camp of after it left the BEP. But still a keeper. From time to time on a whim I emboss the letter A (about 1/2 “ high) into $1 notes just to see if they ever get back to me. None ever has to date.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I too had not seen this post when it was originally posted, so an interesting read. Thanks @paddyman98
    Having been in law enforcement, I can tell you that print was placed there with careful thought as to getting a good print. If it was just some BEP employee, it wouldn't be so neat. And as for "Black ink," did you know there are over a 150 different shades. The Secret Service has examples of every different type and shade available world wide.
    As for the grader not telling; How do you know? It isn't listed on the sleeve one way or the other. It should have been labeled "damaged."
    Just a fun conversational piece and you paid less than it cost to have it graded, so good on you. LOL

ddddd and paddyman98 like this.
  7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

You think being a major grading company
    that they could offer some more clarity
    Then a maybe or maybe not…LOL

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted