$1,000 to Purchase 20th Century Slabbed Type Set - What should I get?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lonegunlawyer, Jan 9, 2013.

1. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

I've got $1,000.00 to purchase a 20th century slabbed type set. What coins and conditions should I purchase? I would like to buy either PCGS or NGC (one or the other, not a mix), please include the TPG in your recommendation. The set you recommend does not need to be complete.

Thanks for the anticipated input.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Is this a hypothetical question?

4. lonegunlawyer

Does it matter? Also, hypotheticals usually start with "if" or some version thereof.

5. Detecto92

I would take the time out to help you, if you were actually doing it.

6. lonegunlawyer

I was hoping there were experienced people who may have an idea off the top of their heads.

7. Detecto92

and what all do you mean by type set?

There is the IH cent, Wheat Cent, Steel Wheat Cent, and Memorial Cent.
    There is the V-Nickel, Buffalo Nickel, Wartime Silver Jefferson nickel, and the normal JN.
    There is the barber dime, mercury dime, silver Roosevelt dime, and clad Roosevelt dime.
    There is the barber quarter, Standing Liberty Quarter, Silver Washington Quarter, Clad Washington Quarter, Bicentennial Quarter, and State Quarter
    There is the Barber Half Dollar, Franklin Half, Silver Kennedy Half, Bicentennial Clad Half, and Normal Clad Half.
    There is the Morgan Dollar, Peace Dollar, Ike Dollar, Susie B Dollar, and Sacajawea Dollar.

That's 28 different types. That leaves you about $35 for each coin.

Much better off doing one year, and getting all the coins from that year. I recommend 1943, if you like the steel cent, or 1944, if you do not. You could also do something a little older, where you would have a silver dollar. But once you go before the mid 30s, things get cashy.

If you done a one year type, you would have much more per-coin money to have a nicer set.

8. lonegunlawyer

I realize there are many coins to a complete type set, that is why I said the the recommended set does not have to be complete. If a decent type set cannot be put together then a nice set that is representative of the 20th century. It might only comprise 10 coins.

9. Detecto92

Okay.

For the cent, easy, the IHC. Lincoln cents span the majority of the 20th century. BTW I'm using PCGS.

MS-62 Red, $150.

Get a early Lincoln cent, grab a '09-VDB in 64 Red for $95.

For a Nickel, get a buffalo, 1938-D MS-67 for $155.

Get a silver war nickel. Get a 44-S in MS-66 for $37.

For a Dime, Mercury Dime and Roosevelt.

Mercury Dime 1935 in MS-66 for $48.
    Roosevelt dime, 1960 in Ms-66 for $12.
    For a Quarter, Standing Liberty and Barber.

Barber, 1900 in EF-40 for $80.
    SLQ, 1930 in Au-55, for $85.

Half Dollar, Walking, and Franklin.

Get a '46 Ms-65 WLH for $155
    Get a 1958-D in MS-66 for $60.

Dollar, Morgan and Peace.

1921 Morgan, MS-64, $85.
    1924 Peace Dollar, MS-64, $80.

Total cost is $984. You can't upgrade any of those without going over $1000.

10. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

11. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I am far far far from an expert on this, but I'll make a suggestion When I started my US type set several years ago, I budgeted $50 per coin. Obviously several cost much less than that, but several cost much more, so it evens out. At 78 coins in the typical type set that is $3900. I kept records and I spent $2687.43 to complete my set with an estimated retail value(whatever that is) of $3553.93. If I had $1000 to spend and the coins had to be slabbed, I would pick a series within the type set, look at the cost and work it that way. For example, 1/2 cents only, or large cents only, small cents only, you get the idea. Pick out the series you want, the money you want to spend and see what the highest grade you can afford in the budget.
    Me, I am in a slow process of upgrading everything I have below VF, and going slabbed. Not real concerned if PCGS or NGC. Best of luck

12. lonegunlawyer

Jim, that is actually interesting. What type of holders are those? Are they from some TPG?

PS Tim, that is not a bad list.

13. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

a basement slabber.

Except he forgot the Liberty nickel
    Barber dime
    Barber half
    Suzy Anthony
    Ike

14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

15. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

I would take the $1,000 and buy a single really nice coin. Then save up and do it again. One day you will have a high end collection instead of the lower grade stuff that is so common.
    nice coins are not cheap and cheap coins are not nice.

16. bhaugh

bhaugh AKA - 1872Hokie

For $1000, I think i'd buy several of the new 2012 special silver sets that come out this month, sit on them until they sell out at the mint, flip them, and then you could have $2000 to tackel this project...

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

The fun is in the hunt, not the ownership. :)

Personally I wouldn't do slabbed, but do a Dansco instead. Find nice coins you like, take your time, and put together a set that pleases YOU, not someone else.

As the owner of different "sets" of thing, I can tell you its really a huge letdown completing them. You are like, "now what?". I prefer the chase, or collecting something that "complete" is never an option, so its just a never ending hunt. :D

18. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

And probably the most talked about on coin forums. However, I personally wouldn't have a problem buying this particular set.

19. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, the chase is what is exciting for me as well. That is why I spend some time roll hunting. I have them money to buy coins, but the thrill of finding something rare in a roll is what makes it an exciting hobby for me.

20. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

When I built a set like that in the PCGS registry that amount did not even cover the Buffalo.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. bhaugh

bhaugh AKA - 1872Hokie

After reading through this, and a couple of the 7070 threads, I too think i'm inclined to start this sort of collection. I guess it's time to offload some of the stuff I have sitting around that doesn't fit my collections (scrap, odd pieces, loose uncirculated coins), and refocus. I'll try to come up with my list as I look into things, and share it with you for your thoughts. I may eventually expand this to cover more of a 7070 scope, but starting with the 20th Century Type will get me started and fill my need for the thrill of the hunt.

Draft saved Draft deleted